Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

MTG: My New Alpha Set

Hi All,

I just thought I'd mention - I've had the grades back on the Alpha set I bought. I've added them to the set registry if anyone is interested in having a look! I was hoping for at least an average of 8 and most of the cards have come back at that grade or better, so overall I'm pretty pleased!

I think there was a mistake in the grading in that the Phantasmal Terrain has come back as a Phantasmal Forces, so the set looks like its missing one card - D'oh!

Michael

Comments

• Options
    Wow very nice!

So you went from having the Black Lotus to having the complete set graded in one swoop? Did you do them all during the $5 special?

If you don't mid answering, how much did you pay for the Alpha set? and for grading fees to do it all?
  • Options
    Pretty sweet image

so you got them all graded haoping for all 8's??? i see you have plenty of 9's also...

Those lil10's are like finding gold.

-Rudy
    Owner of the only solid PSA 10 alpha set BUT only 23% Complete...(not including duplicate 10's)

Currently 95 Alpha 10's so far...

8 x Alpha PSA 10 Hypnotic Spector
    3 x Alpha PSA 10 Icy Manipulator
    2 x Alpha PSA 10 Demonic Tutor
    1 x Alpha PSA 10 TimeWalk
    0 x Alpha PSA 10 Black Lotus image
  • Options
    tmmoosetmmoose Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Hi Borst,

I got the Lotus with all the other cards - but because it was worth more I had to pay extra to get it graded with PSA and as a result it got graded faster... so I put that one on first.

They were all graded using the $5 special (apart from the Lotus as above!), so they cost about 300 x $5 = $1,500 to grade. The set was $12300 from ebay. There is a link here if you want a look: Ebay Listing

So all in all it was about $13,800 including grading fees - I think it worked out a pretty good deal. Especially when I've seen sets for sale from deals for upwards for $17,000 and that's ungraded.

Michael

• Options

<< <i>Pretty sweet image

so you got them all graded haoping for all 8's??? i see you have plenty of 9's also...

Those lil 10's are like finding gold.
    >>

Well I got them all graded as I wanted a complete graded set and on the basis I'd be happy with an average of 8 for the set. Obviously I was hoping they'd all be 10's. :-) Part of me was wishing there would be more 10's than there were, but ah well, I'm not really disappointed as it's a great set to have at all!

Michael
  • Options
    Hello Michael,

<< <i>I think there was a mistake in the grading in that the Phantasmal Terrain has come back as a Phantasmal Forces, so the set looks like its missing one card - D'oh! >>

And I just thought you could not afford the whole set!!! image Congrats on the completion of the set but look out behind you! I wonder if this will spring Jacob back into action to take back his crown? I also wonder if I will EVER get my 100+ cards back so that I can add them to my set.............

Len
    Tap4Black
  • Options
    Hey Michael,

Nice job on your set - I can remember when you bought it raw. In the end you decided to grade all the cards - kudos on being the first with a complete (barring "mechanical error") Alpha set on the registry image

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options
    I sent a free land alpha PSA 8 to Michael a few month ago and he bought the full set ! The set is almost all PSA 8-9 ! need to change a few cards only to get it PSA 8 or better !
    It s best thing i have ever seen beside my unlimited set of course !
    Bastien
    Collecting MTG cards from Alpha to Antiquities.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You guys have a scan or 2?

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I will post some scans as soon as the cards finish their long and treacherous journey across the Atlantic. image

In the mean time, there are some scan of the raw cards in the auction link posted above.

- Michael
  • Options
    Thanks moose, yes I saw the auction scans. i wanted to see how they presented in a slab.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Hi Steve,

Have you had a look at some of the sets in the registry for scans? Here is a link to the Magic: The Gathering Bet set registry. Have a look at Spacebaby's set. His set is the high bar and he has tons of scans in there of gem mint cards.

MTG Beta Set Registry

-Tony
  • Options
    Thanks, i went there yesterday but was looking for "Alpha" and did not notice .

Nice cards.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Hey Tony,

<< <i>"His set is the high bar..." >>

Not for long, at the rate your going image

Take it easy,
    Jared

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options

I am totally amazed at your new ALPHA set, Michael. Congrat for taking the top spot. Hopefully this will create a big stir in the Alpha competition. :-)

See what happens when I forget to log in for a few days. The whole world takes a huge leap. For the better of course.

-- Joe
  • Options
    Hopefully it will cause everyone to give up on Alpha and sell me all their cards at knock-down prices. image

I will be interested to see how spacebaby gets on with that beta set I noticed he picked up a week or two back... Goodness knows why, but I'm looking forward to that day he actually completes his beta set. image

- Michael
  • Options
    Nice set. Glad to help you upgrade where possible. I'd love to see the look on Jacob's (absolut alphas) when your set posted. Len wasn't too happy either. Get that last card and join the ranks of set completeness. Good luck, good cards!
    Steven Karpman
    "spacebaby" on ebay
  • Options
    i'm melting!
    Steven Karpman
    "spacebaby" on ebay
  • Options
    Unhappy is not the word I would use Steve, very surprised is more like it. I just could not fathom someone both finding an entire gradable set (on Ebay no less!) and then sending it all in at once.image

If I was not so engrossed on my master set (and the monetary investment it required) I might actually rummage through my Alpha collection and make an entire second set just to see if I could get a higher overall grade in 1 giant lump than the set Michael sent in.

Len
    Tap4Black
  • Options
    You guys and all your complete sets image - what fun are they? Besides, big gaping holes look good in a registry - they add character image

Take it easy,
    Jared

• Options
    I can't help but feel like a bit of a cheat.

Oh well. At least I'm doing Unlimited the honest way. image

Did your grades come back by the way Len? I saw you added a few more and the number of PSA 10 Alpha Mons Goblin Raiders has gone up from 1 to 2. (Dammit! image)
  • Options
    I received grades for 40 of the 100 cards and should have the rest of them posted tomorrow. 4 cards came back 10 and I had 2 of them already. Only 4 8's out of the total submission and the rest were 9's so pretty good overall. The second batch is the good one as it had the 60 cards that I handpicked out of my 7000 or so commons and uncommons as being the best of the best. I am expecting much a better ratio of 10's on that shipment (If they ever get it finished! they have had it since 9/28, grrr..........) If everything breaks well, I'll be at around 80/85% completion and a raw GPA of (crosses fingers) 9.25 or so.

Len
    Tap4Black
  • Options
    I cannot help but stare with envy at all those cards you guys can send in for grading and coming back in such insane grades. But I am on Jared's side when it comes to collecting ... slowly to savor the achievement. image

-- Joe
  • Options
    Sorry about that White Ward Michael, I needed a filler for the empty hole image

Shouldn't you have been asleep anyway????

Len
    Tap4Black
  • Options
    Hey Joe,

It's kind of like there are 3 different approaches here...

#1 - Just hop on the 'Bay and buy complete sets (Michael and Steven)
    #2 - Dig in your closet and pull out several hundred Gem 10's to send in (Len and Tony)
    #3 - Buy cards slowly here and there and finish your sets around 2031 or so (you and me)

Don't worry - they all lead to complete sets, ours just happens to coincide with our Social Security checks image

Take it easy,
    Jared

PS - the above was all tongue-in-cheek, I know EVERYONE here is working hard to complete their sets image We all deserve a pat on the back, don't we?

• Options
    add me into #3 - Buy cards slowly here and there and finish your sets around 2031 or so

soon as I get my cards from Bastien I'll be up to 28 cards in my PSA 9 Unlimited set

So all you guys doing Unlimited in PSA 10s remember me when you submit cards and get back those crappy 9s that arent worth hardly anything, I will take them off your hands image
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry about that White Ward Michael, I needed a filler for the empty hole

Shouldn't you have been asleep anyway????
    >>

What is this "sleep" thing you speak of? image

I'm sure your need was greater than mine ... if I'd won it we probably could have come up with some sort of trade. You've got that rubbishy Lotus thing - I'd have swapped it for that.
  • Options

<< <i>I cannot help but stare with envy at all those cards you guys can send in for grading and coming back in such insane grades. But I am on Jared's side when it comes to collecting ... slowly to savor the achievement. image >>

Despite the pretty decent grades that set got ... I do have the 3rd worst overall grade in the Alpha registry. It was 2nd worst until I noticed I had some higher-grade land I could stick in. Just goes to show the quality of the cards others have managed to gather!

• Options
    I guess Jared already have me accurately pegged as a #2... image

I just wish that the closet wasn't so empty now. image

<< <i>I know EVERYONE here is working hard to complete their sets We all deserve a pat on the back, don't we? >>

ABSOLUTELY! Great job everyone! image

-Tony
  • Options
    Hey Bosrt,

I have a UL mox pearl nice that is fresh and a UL guantlet of might right from the pack that got 9's. Would you be interested in them?

Jason
    Seeking 1984 Donruss PSA 10

Unopened 1975 material

UL Magic the Gathering
  • Options
    Jason,
    Right now I can't afford the Mox but might be interested in the GoM, turn on your private messaging or let me know your email address and we can work something out.

James
  • Options
    Emal me at bakedziti1977 at yahoo dot com
    Seeking 1984 Donruss PSA 10

Unopened 1975 material

UL Magic the Gathering
  • Options
    While I did buy a complete AN set or two, My beta set was compiled one card at a time the hard way. You were around for that Jared. I cansay that assembling a set the long slow hard way was way more gratifying than sending in a full set. I like my AN but the beta set rules. Even if the sets were of rthe same monetary value, it was the entire process of obtaining and upgrading my betas that was truely fun. I did that like most, a few cards at a time. The best part is when you get close. The last 10-20% is really fun. You find yourself scouring every ebay or internet nook and cranny for those card. It is extremely gratifying to fininsh.

So all set builders have much more satisfaction on the horizon. We just need to clue in the rest of the magic community.
    Steven Karpman
    "spacebaby" on ebay
  • Options
    Hey Steven,

Yeah, I know - I was more referring to the recent purchase of a complete Beta set image . Your Beta Registry set was indeed done brick by brick - I remember losing all those auctions well image

Take it easy,
    Jared

• Options
    Doh, That was a mistake.

I put in a minimal bid to tag the auction to track it. I didnt expect to win it. I guess nobody else was interested, so I kinda got stuck.

Did you notice all the auctions I just finished? Where da ya think that money went? Yep, now I got a complete set coming and I expect the average grade to be around 8, hopefully higher. So in anothe 45-60 days, you might see alot of graded betas hit ebay. We'll see.

Jeese that was expensive. I guess it'll teach me a lesson.
    Steven Karpman
    "spacebaby" on ebay
  • Options
    image - I thought it was just me who did dumb things like that; glad to see I'm not alone.

Sorry about your loss - maybe you'll get luck and a Gem or two will be hiding in there image

Take it easy,
    Jared

• Options
    I am just glad you finally paid Steve. Jon (the seller) had me send him several cards to finish the set under the agreement that when it sold on Ebay I would get paid. I have been waiting for that fatty check for a couple weeks now and I too have things to spend the cash on. Like maybe those Alpha cards we are talking about! image

Len
    Tap4Black
  • Options
    Yes i saw this set Beta sold 10 000 + USD. But the seller is a shop and he grade cards. If there was any PSA 9-10 in this set he would have grade it i think.
    You should sell it back raw as PSA 7-8 will never worth the grading fees.
    Bastien
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Bosrt,

I have a UL mox pearl nice that is fresh and a UL guantlet of might right from the pack that got 9's. Would you be interested in them?

Jason >>

Did you get my email?
  • Options
    Hurray!

It's 100% complete! :-)

Michael
  • Options
    Gratz ! Awesome set ! Need a few more PSA 8-10 to make it all PSA 8 or better image
    Bastien
  • Options
    ALAS,

Finally!!!! Another complete set!!! CONGRATS!!!image

You da MAN!
    Steven Karpman
    "spacebaby" on ebay
  • Options
    PSA appear to have sent me a 2006 Calander (I'm assuming they sent one to everyone, not just me!)

But I was pleased (?) to see that they had made an error in the back where they listed the sets that had been given Registry Awards and put my Alpha set in, instead of Jacob's.

I wonder if I could persuade them that was evidence enough to actually give me the award instead of Jacob. ;-)

- Michael
  • Options

Hey Michael.

Enjoy your accidental fame. It's good for 365 days until the next calendar comes out.
    I'm sure others will be gunning for your record with so much time before the next award cutoff. :-)

Happy New Year to my fellow MTG collectors and everyone. Hope the new year brings your collection to new heights and PSA brings out more innovations to keep us entertain.

Cheers.
    -- Joe
  • Options
    First off, sorry for the delay in getting into the thread. Ok, so you've awoken the sleeping giant and remotivated me into wanting to finally finish my set. Big gratz to both Mike and Len for passing me on the board. Maybe over 2006 I can get my set to 100% and give you guys a run for your money. Looking forward to a great year.

Jake
  • Options
    Now to find a good image and signature.
  • Options
    Jacob,

Glad to see you found the forum!!!! Yes these two passed you on the registry, however, a closer inspection of the sets reveals that you have some of the finest alphas around. Your collection of rare PSA 10's is unmatched. It should be interesting to see how alpha pans out.

Michael has the complete set, but needs to upgrade his quality across the board to stay on top.
    Len has most of the big cardfs covered, but his 10's are mostly commons and uncommons.
    Jake, has alot of rare psa 10's, but needs to complet his P9 and some other major rares.

This is all very interesting. It should be quite a challenge to see who comes out on top in 2006. May you all live long and prosper.
    Steven Karpman
    "spacebaby" on ebay
  • Options
    You missed your calling Steven. You should have been a commentator.

On a side note, here's a funny story:
    I'm out shopping with my girlfriend and she needs to borrow my cell phone to make a phone call. I say "sure, go for it." A few minutes later she comes back to me all pissed off. Wouldn't say why. After some coaxing she explains that she didn't mean to snoop but she looked at my Contacts in my phone....

LOL, you ready for this...

"WHO IS SPACEBABY!!!" she says.

LMAO, is that the funniest thing ever.?!?! So, naturally I start laughing, which makes her more mad. Then I explain who Spacebaby is. She didn't believe me at first, but then I showed her your collections in the registry and she came around. So afterward she felt bad for snooping and she felt stupid for her poor assumption. Oh well.

Women: can't live with em.. can't kill em.

Jake
  • Options
    Hey Jake, glad you found our little home away from reality! I really need to get PSA on the ball and get the grading of signed cards rolling so I can submit more cards. I have pretty much used up my stock of NM/M+ raw rares and they are friggin near impossible to find from reputable sellers.

Gloves off and the fur is gonna fly, I like it that way image
  • Options
    Nice to see Absolutalpha on board.
    One of the best alpha set ! But now there is some challenger ! Michael did a very nice deal with his set PSA 8 + bought raw image
    And Len got this Black thing PSA 10 that make every one jaleous ! And looking at his set he has most of the big cards ...

When i started unlimited no one was looking for those ... Now with Michael and Jason i got some hard time to make my way to complete the set image
    Jason didn t register his set ... I suspect he will list it to take the first place !

I did notice tonight some of the big bidder of the summer set and other misprint were on the alpha graded ...
    Maby some new challenger are coming soon image

Any news of that beta set you graded for the Poker player guy Steven ?
    You said it was PSA 9.5 arround. Did it got PSA 9 + ?
    Will he register the set ?
    Bastien
  • Options
    Hi there (& Hi Jake)

Just everyone remember - it's not a competation. It's not about winning or losing. It's about me being in #1 and you being in #2 and #3. (Don't mind too much which way round you are either. image)

Having said that, I'm sure both Jake & Len could get in the #1 slot if they wanted to lower their standards and fill their gaps with 8's They've got enough nicer cards to get ahead of me just by doing that. I'm sure neither of them wants to do that though. I suspect 9's and 10's (in particularly) are likely to be relatively far and few between on ebay. Although I'm sure there are a few more Alpha sets floating around in people's cupboards yet to be unleashed. Dacardworld's one for $17k odd is probably in pretty decent shape for example. (Although I don't know how decent - anyone ever had the chance to inspect it in person?)

Michael