Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

MTG: My New Alpha Set

2»

Comments

• Options
    So Michael, tell me. Did you bid up and win that Nightmare last night, giving you a 1 grade bump, just to keep the card out of mine or Jake's collection??? I saw Jake bid and give up before you jumped in and snatched it away.

I actually know the bidder who you just beat out, guy in Geneva who has possibly the best collection of Magic in the world, and am very surprised you won the card as he seldom loses when he sets his sights on a card.

I likely would have chimed in with what would have ended up being a losing bid save the fact I have a Nightmare in for grading at this time.
  • Options
    tmmoosetmmoose Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Len,

Perish the thought. :-) I actually try to avoid bidding against fellow board members if possible, as all that happens is whoever wins ends up paying artificially high prices for whatever cards. Although it depends how much I want the card in question. I didn't bid $10k on the Nightmare just to make sure I won it, my maximum bid wasn't actually that much more than I won it for. Without wishing to totally give away my bidding strategy, I usually try to avoid spending more on a card than I'd pay if I was buying it from an online store! :-)

I did wake up to make sure I won those auctions though. It's dedication to the cause when you set your alarm for 4am to check up on Magic auctions. :-) Did I just admit that?

I'm actually trying to (gradually) upgrade my set to an average 9. I recognise that it would be prohibitively expensive to collect the set in 10's (especially when I'm also working in an unlimited set). I was thinking about approaching you and/or others to see if you had any spare 9's I needed you wanted to sell / trade.. but since I keep spending my money on auctions and only really have 8's for trade this doesn't really seem to be worth bothering with at the moment. image

Michael
    PS. Not that I'm keeping count, but I'm sure we're even now after the Death Ward incident. lol
  • Options
    Death Ward Incident image I forgot about that one image

I was just amazed that the you bid up that 9 when you already had the spot filled in your set. Funny part was, my friend in Geneva called about the card earlier today. He went to bed thinking he had the card locked up and was quite surprised that his bid was surpassed. He has been looking for about 8 Alpha cards to upgrade from NM to MINT to make his "1 of everything" set complete and perfect. He keeps wanting me to sell him my 10 Mana Vault but that ain't gonna happen.

Good Luck on the Upgrade Project.

• Options
    I blame the Bad Moon.

(I'm assuming I can get away with poor MtG jokes here without being ridiculed ;-))

Michael
  • Options
    BAD MOON.........

I do not have one of those graded in my set yet either....
  • Options
    Hey Jake,

Welcome to the mix!! I'm pleased to see another of the "founders" join the discussion ranks. FWIW - you guys are safe from me; I will be looking up at all your sets for quite some time...

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options

<< <i>BAD MOON.........

I do not have one of those graded in my set yet either.... >>

I have a ... er ... beautiful 7 I could trade for that crappy PSA 10 Black thingy if you want. image

Michael
  • Options

Welcome aboard, Jake.

We have finally awaken the Alpha behemoth. Like Jared, I'll be watching you guys' sets this year. I'll snipe here and there on occassion for a cheap bargain to fill my set.

-- Joe