Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1797 15 stars half dime - Wow! Not mutilated!

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
In my continued quest to junk up the board with pictures of my half dimes, here is an un-mutilated 1797 15 stars half dime that also appears not to be cleaned. I'd post these all in a single thread, but I think it would kill the dial-uppers to open it. Ther's only one (15 star) LM variety for this year, so maybe someone can help me with the die state instead? Estimates of grade are also welcome, as this is one that PCGS would probably holder.

Edited to specify that there's one 15-star die marriage. Oops.

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're killing me with the half dimes man, killing me. I love it image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ther's only one LM variety for this year >>

That means you should send it to LM. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is only one 15-star die marriage for this year, but there are a total of four die marriages for the year (two 16-star and one 13-star). Without pictures (I need to retire so I can monitor half dime posts from home...dang security protocols!), I can't tell die state. I can tell you that Valentine identified three die states for the LM-1 die marriage: V-2, V-2A, and V-2B. Another photo I will check on tonight!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It almost looks like someone thought about holeing that coin at one point. You can see a very small divot between the 7 and 9 which is right where many holes are located. Perhaps the person had the spike pushed to the coin and changed their mind at the last second, leaving only a small divot.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a gorgeous coin! I know nothing about die varieties, but I do know that finding a nice example of any piece from that era is difficult. Really, a beautiful piece! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhedden, here are Valentine's descriptions of V-2A and V-2B:

V-2A: Obverse: A die crack runs from lower right edge through drapery and bust. Reverse: Crack at edge over ME of AMERICA.

V-2B: Same cracks, but on obverse greatly extended, going through 9 of the date, face, and T of LIBERTY.

I hope these descriptions help you to determine which die state you have.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to guess that this is V-2B, since I believe I can see a crack running out of Liberty's forehead and through "T" of Liberty. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are photos of the finest, well circulated early half dime that I have ever seen. It is remarkable that ANY of these coins circulated for so long without sustaining damage. Perhaps even more remarkable is that no one cleaned or polished it.

When I bought this coin in the late 1970s, it’s grade was “the finest Fine-12, 1797 16 star half dime on the planet.” Today it is in an NGC VF-20 holder.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    Here's my 1797 16 stars.......

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file