Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just received some EZ-est & 'MS70' in the mail - advice?

I have followed several threads about dipping using EZ-est, but I remember a few mentioning the MS70 being better in certain cases. After reading the few instructions provided, I hesitate to use the MS70....can anybody relate some experiences with it? Do you use it as directed on bottle, or have you figured out your own special technique? Dare I use it on old copper coins, even tho it claims that it works fine ( and safely ) on copper?image
Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• Options
    OMG! image

NEVER use MS70 on copper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use MS70 to take crud off of BU Nickel/silver/gold.

Use the acid to remove toning.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Dipping is an evil practice and you should never do it under any circumstances.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time MS70 on copper will turn it a glossy brown. It works great on unc silver.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>Dipping is an evil practice and you should never do it under any circumstances.

Russ, NCNE >>

And I always thought we disagreed on this topic. It is nice to see you have come around to the correct conclusion concerning this matter.imageimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Fats,

I checked the "who's on" section first to make sure you were around. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    << Just received some EZ-est & 'MS70' in the mail - advice?>>

Return it for a refund, and then use the money to buy a coin image

• Options
    The following is based on my reading and experience. Take it all with a grain of salt........

MS70 is a heavy-duty degergent plus a harsh alkali like amonia: it will instantly remove all toning from a silver or nickel coin, taking it down to bare metal. If the coin is a modern silver or nickel and if you use minimal exposure to the MS70, you can restore a sound coin to like-new condition and not effect luster one bit. I always use a Q-tip and work with 1:1 to 1:5 dilution (tap water) depending on how heavy duty I want the cleaning to be.

MS70 is difficult to rinse off so I use a rubber coated wire basket under running tap water for 5 to 10 minutes, then a rinse in distilled water, then in 70% alcohol, then 90% alcohol before drying between two white soft linen towels.

EZest is an acid dip I have never used but I know one has to follow-up with a mild alkaline dip to neutralize any residual acid before using either acetone or alcohol for spot-free drying.

Bottom line, NEVER dip an attractive older coin until you know enough to make that decision and only when you have nothing to lose. Realize that a like-new surface can make hairlines and minor dings more visible. Practice with cheap modern nickel coins to get the feel. For example, don't rub with the q-tip, just gently move it around over the entire surface and change finger positions mid-way so you don't leave a tell-tale original moon at the rim. And if in doubt, DON'T!!imageimage
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    It says to use the ms70 with a cotton swab at 100%.....I mix it 50/50 with water and do a soak in a glass bowl for a few minutes..no rubbing needed....., then water rinse, then acetone.....used it mostly on proof coins that I thought would benefit and have had great success.

The ezest, i have done, but only on a few low dollar morgans that were either cruddy/nasty toned or AT....I dont like it....i would rather use the MS70..imho
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the input - I have used EZest in the past on some of the brand new silver proof sets (mainly 2000 issue) that commonly show a golden/brown toning on the devices , and it has worked absolute wonders. But, I have used it at about 25 - 30% of full strength, and the dipping time is only 5 seconds - followed by the double rinsing that others have mentioned.
    I have never used MS70, and I intended only to use it on coins that have been rendered pretty much worthless by environmental damage or are crud-covered, at least until I become familiar with the effects. Why do some folks feel it is OK for NCS to "conserve" coins, but are shocked..SHOCKED!! when collectors try to do the same thing? BTW - I have sent in some MS silver coins for grading that I had dipped, and they did come back with pretty decent grades - better than they would have if sent the way they were prior to the dip, IMO.
    For copper, I generally do not do anything, but if there is gunk on the surface, I will do the long term baking soda, vinegar, olive oil procedure and that seems to produce a pretty decent, original appearing surface.

cointagious - I got a great laugh from your response - I guess I shouldn't believe the bottle when it says it works wonderfully on all metals, including copper!image

Thanks Guys!! Chuck
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard that if you mixed them together in a small room and breathed the fumes, that all of your coins start to wobble and dance in a most peculiar way.

Do not try this at home, kiddies!
  • Options
    I've only used MS70 on proof silver coins, usually about a 50/50 mix.

Frankly, it does wonders for haze and even milkspots. Though some milkspots are apparently meant to last the life of the coin.

Anybody know the actual cause of them? Russ?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Is MS70 OK to use on silverware? I bought a bottle many years ago, and never opened it.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    I would not use it on silverware.

I have had good success with MS70 on modern clad coins. I would not use it on circulated coins or coins lower than AU.

I recommend trying it on some MS pocket change and some AU silver dimes to see how it works and if you like it.
    Mark Piersall
    Random Collector
    www.marksmedals.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file