Home Sports Talk
Options

Omar Vizquel in the Hall?

He just picked up his 10th Gold Glove at shortstop today. Only Ozzie Smith has more with 13.

He's silent with a bat, but when he picks up a glove, that's when he really goes to work.
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Jim kaat has 16 (gold gloves) and 283 wins...............and he is not in the hall. I doubt very much that Omar has a shot.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Gold Gloves at pitcher and Shortstop are a bit different. I'd figure a Gold Glove at shortstop, a difficult position to play well, would be worth a lot more.

Comparing him to Ozzie Smith, Vizquel's a slightly better hitter, and their stacks of Gold Gloves and the quality of their defensive stats put them on even ground, but...

All that combined with Ozzie's 15 All Star appearances pushed him over the top as a 1st ballot HoFer.

Vizquel only has 3 All Star appearances.

I wonder how badly that'll hurt him.

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Omar's not getting in the hall.

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I keep checking this thread hoping that one of you statistic freaks post some good ones for comparison.

I think he's got a shot if he plays a few more years and continues to collect some hardware.
  • Options
    Didn't he retire years ago?

As fast as he is, as tough as he was to strikeout (which we all know is a very important stat), the nice career BA, and obviously the fielding make him tough to dismiss immediately.

That said though, I still don't see him getting a whiff of HOF consideration. Fast, slick fielding, (often Latin American) shortstops are becoming the norm in baseball these days. While he certainly deserves credit for being an amazing fielder compared to any of them, I think he will quickly become completely forgotten in coming years in the shadow of Tejada, Furcal, Cabrera etc. All great, all fantastic gloves, all much better hitters.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's not much a stat freak can do with these two offensively, since they were both nowhere near HOF-caliber with the bat. FWIW, Smith's career OPS+ was 0.87 and Vizquel's was 0.85, so Smith contributed a hair more on offense than Vizquel. Vizquel's numbers are higher pretty much across the board, but that is primarily due to the differences in the times and places they played. Bottom line on offense, call it a tie, and they're both in a deep, deep hole as far as getting to the HOF.

The difference is the defense. It has been noted many times before that it is next to impossible to sum up defensive contrbutions with statistics, but here's what there is: In fielding %, they were each .012 better than league averages for their careers so that tells us nothing (and fielding %, even when there is a difference, almost always tells us nothing). Their range factors were strikingly different, however: Vizquel 4.42 vs. a league average of 4.12, Smith 5.03 vs. a league average of 4.10. In other words, Vizquel was about 7.25% better than average where Smith was about 22.5% better than average. Someone has already mentioned the Gold Glove disparity, 13 for Smith, 10 for Vizquel. Vizquel has arguably been winning his Gold Gloves against tougher competition, so I don't think this tells us much - not enough to explain the fact that Smith is in the HOF and Vizquel never will be, anyway.

So, is Smith in the HOF because of his remarkable range factors? Not directly, of course. He's in the HOF because he was the greatest fielding shortstop to ever play the game (which his range factors merely confirm). Nothing short of that can get a player of such limited batting ability in.

Some of the comparable players got in the same way: Mazeroski was the greatest 2nd baseman of the modern era, if not all time; Aparicio was a top-10 shortstop who also led the league in stolen bases 9 years in a row; Schoendienst was only an excellent 2nd baseman, but the hole he dug with his offense was much smaller and he won a World Series as a manager.

In the end, Vizquel is near the bottom of the offensive barrel (with Smith and a few others) as far as HOF consideration goes - much worse and no fielding exploits in the world could ever get him in. To get out of that hole takes something truly remarkable in an all-time sense, and Vizquel - as great a shortstop as he is - just isn't THAT great.

edited to add: Jim Kaat should be in the HOF, IMO, due in significant part to his fielding. I think he has a shot someday when the Veteran's committee in 2050 or whenever asks "Why isn't this guy in already?" and nobody has a very good answer.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited to add: Jim Kaat should be in the HOF, IMO, due in significant part to his fielding. I think he has a shot someday when the Veteran's committee in 2050 or whenever asks "Why isn't this guy in already?" and nobody has a very good answer.

I agree.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    No way on Omar, if you have to ask he isn't a HOFer. There are a couple of dozen that shouldn't be in there already, and with the offensive explosion of the last 30 years (coupled with no time out for wars) are they going to pass over Fred McGriff for Omar? No way, and neither should get in.

The thing I don't get about the veterans committee is if the player didn't get in the first 15 years of voting why should he get in later? He didn't get one more hit, win or mvp. To me the veterans committee should be for players that deserve it but never got on a ballot- Pete Browning being a big example, and a few other 19th century stars. Or it should be for people that had a significant impact on the game, and on that basis I can't figure out why Marvin Miller isn't in.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... if you have to ask he isn't a HOFer. >>

In theory, I think you're absolutely correct, but it depends who "you" is, and how much he knows about baseball. SOMEbody asks about almost everyone; a HOF with only the universally unquestioned would be very small.

<< <i>The thing I don't get about the veterans committee is if the player didn't get in the first 15 years of voting why should he get in later? >>

9 times out of 10, I agree with you here, too. But the answer to your question in the other 1 out of 10 is, "Because for 15 straight years the voters got it wrong." Maybe it just takes more years to get the proper perspective on some players than it takes for others, but it is absolutely inconceivable to me that the HOF will not somday correct some of the errors they have made; a HOF without Santo and Blyleven is just silly, and as more and more players significantly worse than those two continue to get in, that silliness will just get harder and harder to ignore.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    I agree with Dallas's points. He just wasn't the fielder that Smith was, and that is the difference. They were basically equals at the plate, and Ozzie was the better baserunner.

One post that does baffle me though is, how can anybody get lost in the shadow of Orlando Cabrerra? If Miguel Cabrerra were a shortstop, then I understand, but Orlando Cabrerra? Well maybe in comparison to Herve Villechaize's shadow image
  • Options
    It should be added that Smith was "clutch" offensively in some big games too. As for Visquel I could not tell you as I did not see him play as much.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    One post that does baffle me though is, how can anybody get lost in the shadow of Orlando Cabrerra? If Miguel Cabrerra were a shortstop, then I understand, but Orlando Cabrerra

I was referring to the young and talented gold glove winning SS for the LAAoA who has exhibited the skills thus far in his career to indicate he might in all reasonable liklihood end up with a far better hitting career than Vizquel and a comparable number of gold gloves.

Sorry to have confused you. I forgot how easy that is to do. image
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    No, great with the glove though. 10 GG's is outstanding, but not a reflection of the whole package.
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Options
    dg, when you quote me, don't leave off the most important part of the quote image Maybe not my best analogy, but I liked it.
  • Options
    Lets check the claim/prediction that in all likelihood that O. Cabrerra will end up with a FAR better hitting career than O. Vizquel. Through age 30 Cabrerra's OPS+ is sitting at 83, as a result of poor OB% and poor SLG%.

Vizquel's, through age 38, is sitting at 85.

Cabrerra most likely had his peak year at age 28 when he got his OPS+ up to 95. The last two years have been 79, and 82.

The young claim is also incorrect. 31 years old next season is not young. Yeah, to George Bush SR. he is young, but not in baseball age.
    Could Cabrerra improve as a hitter? Possibly, but most likely you will see more of the same. He may also hit some bad years if he makes it to the late 30's, which may put him behind Vizquel instead of even being tied.

In the end, claiming he will end up having a FAR better hitting career than Vizquel is a reach that Stretch Armstrong may be proud of.

So yes, baffling is the correct word to use when O. Cabrerra is included with some excellent players who truly do cast shadows. You may be right, I may easily be confused.
  • Options
    Spoken like a true nitwit that's never seen the kid play.

Anyways, I stand by my predictions, and it is pointless to argue with you.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DG, I noticed you of course did not include Derek Jeter among your top shortstops with Tejada, Furcal, Cabrera . That is to be expected from a Sox fan.

Jeter had the second-highest fielding percentage (.979) and made the second-fewest errors (15) among AL shortstops, trailing Orlando Cabrera in both categories, but Jeter racked up 454 assists to Cabrera's 347. Not to mention Jeter he is a shoe in for 3,000 hits .....

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Well suffice to say I didn't mention Jeter because Vizquel isn't in a league with either him or Garciaparra or Michael Young or even Renteria (although I will not try to defend how much Renteria sucked last year).

Typical Yankee fan, always needing constant reassurance... Yes, Derek Jeter is much better than Omar Vizquel.

Nor is he in a league with Tejada either, but my point was to mention a few slick fielding Latino born players, of which Derek Jeter is neither.
  • Options

<< <i>DG, I noticed you of course did not include Derek Jeter among your top shortstops with Tejada, Furcal, Cabrera . That is to be expected from a Sox fan.

Jeter had the second-highest fielding percentage (.979) and made the second-fewest errors (15) among AL shortstops, trailing Orlando Cabrera in both categories, but Jeter racked up 454 assists to Cabrera's 347. Not to mention Jeter he is a shoe in for 3,000 hits ..... >>

I wasn't aware this thread was about overyhyped and overrated players (both of which Jeter is?)

Simple fact...Jeter's a light hitting shortstop who's playing a decade too late...there are far too many better hitting shortstops than Jeter (all he needs to do is look to his right to see a REAL hitting shortstop). If Jeter played in KC, no one would even know his name.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    All those rings count for something though- Look at Rizzuto and Reese and the ultimate coat tailer, Scottie Pippen.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Joe Carter, Gene Tenace, and $2,000 image.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Simple fact...Jeter's a light hitting shortstop who's playing a decade too late...there are far too many better hitting shortstops than Jeter ( >>

Ax I don't know why you have it in for Jeter? You claim light hitting but you applaud Ichiro who is a light hitting outfielder. You compare him to Tejada but lets look at this years numbers-

Jeter - 202/654 122 19 70 14 .309
    Tejada - 199/654 89 26 98 5 .304

pretty close numbers considering one bats at the top of the order and one in the middle. True he would not have the same notority if he played in KC, but he still be on pace to enter the HOF with the numbers he's put up no matter where he played. Nearly 200 hits a year, a career avg of .314 and only one year of under 70 rbi's. Great numbers for the position he plays in any era. Throw in above average fielding and he is definitely on his way to the Hall.
  • Options
    I don't have it in for Jeter...I simply don't see the ooh and ahhing that goes on over him is all.

Comparing Ichiro and Jeter is laughable at best...Ichiro has yet to have less than 200 hits, averaging 226 hits per year (and breaking an 80 year old record of hits in a year in the process which was a vastly underrated achievment). Ichiro is a dominant fielder (where Jeter wins gold gloves based on popularity), is a stolen base threat every time he's on base, and is a complete player in all aspects of his game.

So his playing in NY doesn't overplay his game? There's a player who has averaged the following statistics for his career, yet I *never* hear his name mentioned:

.337 career batting average, averaging 194 hits, 34 HR, 116 RBI per year.
    Career through 9 years over 1500 hits, 271 HRs, .607 career slugging average, 1.040 career OPS.

He's well on his way to over 3000 hits, and could get to 500 HRs as well, yet, his name is rarely mentioned among the game's current group of elite hitters.

• Options

<< <i>Comparing Ichiro and Jeter is laughable at best...I >>

I'm not downplaying Ichiro, but it is far from laughable because of the two issues you mentioned. Light hitting and complete player, they play different positions but compared to their peers they both fit the category. You may consider the gold glove a popularity contest but it is still not given out to poor defensive players. You can argue that Jeter wasn't the top defensive shortstop this year, but you cannot argue that he is amongst the league best.

Please tell me your player because I only know of 4 active players with OPS over 1.
  • Options
    Helton? Yes he is a great hitter. The reason his name doesn't come up as often as it should is that he plays at Coors and people will always wonder how much that inflates his numbers. He is a great hitter, but durability and Coors haunt him. As long as he doesn't have many more seasons like last year I would think he is hall bound.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> If Jeter played in KC, no one would even know his name. >>

Ax, you just go ahead and read the above comment again. Then ask yourself how many players you have NEVER heard of that ended up with over 3,000 hits. Then, turn your computer off, unplug the friggen thing, and throw it in the trash along with the rest of your baseball knowledge.

DG, right back at ya you TYPICAL Sox fan ! image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    All those rings count for something though- Look at Rizzuto and Reese and the ultimate coat tailer, Scottie Pippen.

Before Pippen suffered his back injuries he was one of the top all around players in the league. Lets not forget that Jordan didn't win a ring let alone even get to the finals until Pippen came along
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> If Jeter played in KC, no one would even know his name. >>

Ax, you just go ahead and read the above comment again. Then ask yourself how many players you have NEVER heard of that ended up with over 3,000 hits. Then, turn your computer off, unplug the friggen thing, and throw it in the trash along with the rest of your baseball knowledge.

DG, right back at ya you TYPICAL Sox fan ! image >>

Hmm Jeter has 3000 hits? When did this happen?

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Well, if Jeter stays healthy and gets an average of 178 hits a year (14 hits below his current average), he'll reach 3000 hits in 6 years. He might even break the all time top 10 by the time he's done playing.

And if you really want to roll the dice and make some crazy speculations...

Between the ages of 22 and 31:
    Pete Rose collected 1922 hits.
    Derek Jeter collected 1924 hits.

Then again, Pete rose hung on until he was 45 before he was done as a player.