Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What was the most expensive coin you bought raw? And....

Did you get it graded by a TPG or is it still raw?

If you got it graded, did it grade commensurate with the grade/price you paid for it?

Comments

• Options
    Laid out 9K for a Chain Cent a few years back........ Bought it as a "nice fine" (I said a few years ago didn't I ????)........ It came back a VF !!!!!!!!
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Bought an 1882CC Morgan raw for about $500 raw as a high-end 65. It's in PCGS 65 plastic now, but still is a high-end 65.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many years ago I paid just short of $5 grand for a 1796 Quarter. It's now in a PCGS VF-25 holder. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    13-S II buffalo nickel MS sixty somethin'; bought it decades ago and it still resides in its original 2x2 plastic holderimage
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Paid $325 for an uncirculated 1877-CC Seated Dime, sent it to PCGS where it was bagged
    for questionable color. image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Two coins at $150 each.

<< <i>Did you get it graded by a TPG or is it still raw? >>

Graded.

<< <i>If you got it graded, did it grade commiserate with the grade/price you paid for it? >>

One sold for $1275, the other for $900. Obviously, I wasn't commiserating. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just under $75k for the Vermeule 1873-CC trade dollar - now PCGS MS65:

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    Bought a 1921 Peace in MS63 and a 1928 Peace in MS62 and paid those prices for the coins. Both graded right on from PCGS. The dealer I purchased them from has my unquestionable respect for accurate grading!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought 'em raw...still raw...will remain raw--for at least as long as I am alive. (And yes, either would slab at any TPG)

I paid the most for this one...
    imageimage

This one is probably more valuable...
    imageimage
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $218,500.00, and yes, it did.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    When I started getting serious about my collection 1.5 yrs ago I bought a raw Saint on Ebay for $470. I hadn't discovered this forum yet or done my "homework" with reading. I wanted it b/c it was my Grandfathers Birth year 1916 and they didn't seem to show up much. It's now in PCGS. Thank God it wasn't fake or altered. I was naive and won't do that again. Graded AU-50 so worth about $100 of what I paid according to Coin Values inflated value. It will be cracked back out when I get a type album gold page. At least I have peace of mind that it's authentic and not altered in any way.

Now I stick to slabbed coins or from a dealer I trust for most over $100. Modern mint products I would be more trusting raw.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    $322,000 for an NE Shilling at the Ford sale. It remains raw but may well be graded in the future.

David Mc -- do I win?

Here's a link:

NE Shilling
  • Options
    What I bought was much, much cooler than an NE Shilling, wasn't it?

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not spent more than $275 or so for a raw coin.
  • Options
    $385 for this 1928 Oregon Commem. It will be submitted in the near future.

I'll take better pics when my copy stand gets here.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the good news is that I have ONLY spent $100 for a raw coin; a1918 D Lincoln that was 63 R&B. But PCGS said it was 64 R&B, so I didn't complain.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

<< <i>What I bought was much, much cooler than an NE Shilling, wasn't it? >>

That's like asking a dad if his kid is the smartest one in school.

Put it this way: if I discovered the first NE shilling, I would think it was cooler. As it is, I can at least say that my check is bigger than yours!
  • Options
    And that's the only thing you can say that about.

I couldn't help myself.

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    $275 for a VG 1892-S Barber Half.....

Still raw in my album.....

That is likely to be topped one of these days by it sister from new orleans one day.....

I will not purchase any american gold raw period, so unless I get into other barber sets (1895-O Dime?) this could hold for a while.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $2300 for a raw 1799 Bust dollar. It's at PCGS now, I should get grades end of this week...I hope.image
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    A 1976-P T2 Ike. I paid under $2. No Joke. It is now in a PCGS MS67 Holder.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Wow, I thought TDN was going large. Then Regulated bought something for $218K and won't even say what it is. OK, so I thought that really was something. Then Pistareen buys a NE Shilling (thanks for the link!) for over $300K. To me the NE Shilling is much cooler than Regulated's coin because many of us don't even know what it is.

OK, who's next?

Not me, I blew $600 on a coin that got bagged. image
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Regulated...I've seen your coin, if I think it is the one you're referring to. I agree with your comment!!!

In fact, I'd be OK if that one coin constituted my entire collection image

>....Where are the folks from Legend. I've heard rumors that they've pulled the trigger on some high flying raw material image
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Multiple examples comes to mind and since they are all raw, I do not yet know how expensive they are.

They include but are not limited to a 1936 proof set (with very very nice dime and satin nickel) bought in 1998 for what I thought was too much but what now looks like a bargain); a 1950 CAM Proof Frankie; a 1924-S MS Quarter; a 1933-S MS half; a 1909-S MS RB Lincoln; a 1914-D fine Lincoln; a 1908-S VF-EX cent; an XF 1830 Bust Half (bought in the 78-80 time period); an 1857 MS cent; an MS California Jubilee Commem half; a 1935-S MS Quarter; a proof 1942 dime; a proof 1940 quarter; multiple CAM and DCAM 1950-1970 coins out of proof and sms sets and 2-1956 Mint Sets.
  • Options
    For me that would be a 83cc morgan, paid $161.50, bought it as a MS63 from a board member whom I trust and who grades coins as his daytime job.image

Don't need it slabbed cause it's a dansco coin.

Herb

Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Highest I paid for a raw coin was $356 for a fine 1921D Walker (still raw in album). Bought a 21S Walker in fine last weekend for $110 and submitting that one along with a 1912S Liberty nickel in fine I bought the weekend before for $172..............Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>$322,000 for an NE Shilling at the Ford sale. It remains raw but may well be graded in the future. >>

Congrats J.K.....is it for yourself??? If so, are there any positions available with ANRimage

I think it was?????????
    $40K for a C.C. Chain Cent.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    rsdoug81rsdoug81 Posts: 682 ✭✭
    The most expensive raw coin that I've bothered to have slabbed was an 1878 Rev 79 Morgan. It was a flea market find that I paid $110 for. It slabbed as a 64 at PCGS image
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 1911-D 2 1/2 gold indian, paid $1500 some yrs ago, its still raw and in the capitol holder with the rest of the set, but it is the real deal.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just under $400 for a 1844 SL Dime.

Still raw and in an album.
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats J.K.....is it for yourself??? If so, are there any positions available with ANR >>

C'mon, how much money do you think some kiddie pool-intellectual makes writing about coins?

ANR bought two NE shillings and a Willow Tree shilling on behalf of our retail clients. We spent over $800,000 in the first 5 minutes of the auction on 3 raw coins.

My most expensive coin was bought in a holder (then and now pop 1 with none higher, a colonial) and cracked out the instant I finished paying for it.
  • Options
    $1,600 for an 1895-S Morgan MS61 about 10 years ago.

I had it slabbed by ANACS (MS61) and traded it for a Hawaiian 50 cent piece ANACS MS61 (I didn't have any commemortives at all at the time) and an 1878-CC Morgan in PCGS MS62.
    cho10

Collecting since the 1980's
    Morgan Dollars Circ. Strikes
    - Basic Set - Varieties - Prooflike Basic Set - Date Set
    - Carson City - Early S Mint Short Set - Mintmark Type Set
    Morgan Dollars Proof
    - Basic Set - Varieties
    Peace Circ.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laid out 9K for a Chain Cent a few years back........ Bought it as a "nice fine" (I said a few years ago didn't I ????)........ It came back a VF !!!!!!!!

That reminds me of a raw Chain I bought in about 1989. (For the copper weenies, it was the Beckwith S-2.) I paid about 115K and it graded AU the first time. Since I graded it "nice unc", I resubmitted and it graded 62. Later, I got it into a 63 holder and sold it. Years later, it reappeared in a 64 holder. A dealer bought it and ugraded it to 65. It later sold for 431K in an ANR sale. I guess it really was a "nice unc". image

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $10,500 for a lettered-edge wreath cent, XF45, from the Frankenfield sale by Superior a few years ago. The coin was ex: Norweb and I had it slabbed by PCGS.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $625.00 for a tired P1 Chain cent (eBay).....ANACS agreed, and slabbed it Poor1.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    An 1862 Seated Dollar. It would also be my biggest numismatic loss if I sold it image I believe the dealer overpaid, and added a hefty markup, and I did not bargain well. I have mixed feelings about buying it even though I would take a big loss if I sold, because I have not seen another affordable example in the years since I have bought it (of course I haven't been actively looking). It is still raw.
  • Options
    Since I graded it "nice unc", I resubmitted and it graded 62. Later, I got it into a 63 holder and sold it. Years later, it reappeared in a 64 holder. A dealer bought it and ugraded it to 65. It later sold for over half a million bucks in an ANR sale. I guess it really was a "nice unc".

That was a very nice coin. They was on drugs there for a while, eh?

PS - it was actually just over $400k.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>That reminds me of a raw Chain I bought in about 1989. (For the copper weenies, it was the Beckwith S-2.) I paid about 115K and it graded AU the first time. Since I graded it "nice unc", I resubmitted and it graded 62. Later, I got it into a 63 holder and sold it. Years later, it reappeared in a 64 holder. A dealer bought it and ugraded it to 65. It later sold for over half a million bucks in an ANR sale. I guess it really was a "nice unc". >>

Andy, don't you just hate it when that happens??

Gradeflation...what's that???

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy, don't you just hate it when that happens??

Not at all! Do you know how much harder it would be to make a living if they graded the coins the same every time?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a pair of 1990 No-S Proof sets raw! One slabbed 68DC, and the other is raw (or still in the proof set if you will).
    Doug
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    22P Lincoln VF20. Returned from PCGS F15.
  • Options
    A 1972 MS64 DDO (the big one) from Fred Weinberg at the salt lake city ANA show about 5 years ago. It was purchsed raw and then sent to NGC and certified as an MS 64 DDO.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Andy, don't you just hate it when that happens??

Not at all! Do you know how much harder it would be to make a living if they graded the coins the same every time? >>

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    1996-D lincoln cent

bought it for 1 cent!

graded 65 red .....now its worth $3.50image
  • Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 568 ✭✭✭
    I bought an 1839-O Bust half for $390, an 1806/5 Bust half for $395 & an 1837 Bust half for $325. The 39-O has a
    shot at EF40, the 1806/5 is F15 & the 1837 has a shot at AU58. Getting ready to send them off in the next week or two.
  • Options
    A loooooooooooooooooong time ago I bought a '21 Walker from Ernie for $325 that he described at VF-something. I was filling a Dansco album with circulated walkers at the time and believed some of these sellers on schmuck-bay. I sent it to NGC & they graded it VG-10. Heck... at least it graded something and not bodybagged.
  • Options
    1972 Lincoln DDO Die #1 raw for $375, now sits in a MS-67 RD PCGS holder. Also made 2 MS-66 RD for $350 and $410.
  • Options
    All of 'em I bought before they started slabbin'!
  • Options
    OK, Pistareen is not looking so good as it wasn't a coin he personally bought with his own hard earned savings...

I must say MrEureka's Chain Cent is very impressive. I would never grade a coin with such gashes a 65, but hey, I would agree it is a nice Unc. image

Pray tell, is there a nicer Chain Cent around? As anyone can tell I'm not an early copper guy, but that is the nicest I've seen...
  • Options
    I must say MrEureka's Chain Cent is very impressive. I would never grade a coin with such gashes a 65, but hey, I would agree it is a nice Unc.

Mostly those are planchet voids present prior to striking.

Pray tell, is there a nicer Chain Cent around? As anyone can tell I'm not an early copper guy, but that is the nicest I've seen...

Yes, several. The nicest, a sure-fire specimen pictured in the '100 Greatest US Coins' book, is in the marvelous Stellar Collection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file