Home Sports Talk
Options

Way to go Robby Cano!!!

goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
Bases Juiced, your team down by 1 and you pop the first pitch up to the left fielder!!!image

Comments

• Options
    Be quiet Goose image
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    HEY Gemmymintman!!! How goes it!?

I couldn't resist a spoof/spam.
  • Options

<< <i>I couldn't resist a spoof/spam. >>

I don't think they know about those here image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Another error by Cano.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Congrats to the victors!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    But it's not fair...he's not used to playing second at the major league level! Not fair I tell you!
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Hey Drano keep your foot on the bag till the ball gets there. image
  • Options
    Somebody tell the announcers to please stop with the Rod Carew comparisons. He is closer to Lenn Sakata than to Rod Carew.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Cano is a rookie...anyone would love to have had him come up on their team. It's only because he is a Yankee you guys want to bash him. He has incredible numbers and deserves credit for what he has done as a player, not who he plays for. So he didnt get a hit with men on base...yeah it would have been great but do any of your superstars get the hit EVERY time up to bat? Of course not. Believe me, I trust him more than Soriano whiffing another strike 3.
  • Options
    I think people are so ready to bash him because of all the pro-yankee sentiment in the media that has him being called 'the next Carew'.

He's a hack in the field, has been all year, and it's highly unlikely he'll ever develop into a quality fielder. You'd think after playing 4 years in the minors, and a full year in the majors he'd be at least decent but he's awful. Pro-yankee guys will say 'he makes up for it with his bat!' which (obviously) isn't the case.

• Options
    Well, he is only 22...fielding is sure to improve. If you know anything about Jeter, he was a TERRIBLE defensive player in the minors. Also, the fields are much better kept in the majors which all pro infielders will tell you...makes a huge difference.
    Cano has excellent range especially to his right. Again, he's only a 22 year old kid...even if he is just an average defensive second basemen with a decent bat then he will be very successful in the bigs.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Barry get a sense of humour, will ya image. We are just reacting to the constant spammy threads about him. He's going to be a good one.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, he is only 22...fielding is sure to improve. If you know anything about Jeter, he was a TERRIBLE defensive player in the minors. Also, the fields are much better kept in the majors which all pro infielders will tell you...makes a huge difference.
    Cano has excellent range especially to his right. Again, he's only a 22 year old kid...even if he is just an average defensive second basemen with a decent bat then he will be very successful in the bigs. >>

So Jeter's suddenly the hallmark for great defensive fielders? He's been in the league how long and he just won his first gold glove (and only because Arod is playing third)? Since when do we hold up Jeter's stats and say 'he's a GREAT fielder! and he had XX amount of errors his first year of minor league ball!'

And let me get something right...the fields are BETTER kept in the majors, and that somehow makes it MORE difficult to field?

Now THAT's the most ridiculous comment I've heard in a long, long time.

• Options
    There's Axhole stalking me again! Get rid of your man crush because I dont swing that way Axhole.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Somebody tell the announcers to please stop with the Rod Carew comparisons. He is closer to Lenn Sakata than to Rod Carew. >>

If Cano is the next Rod Carew - then Edgar Renteria is the next Cal Ripken Jr.

Someone in the NY media got a hold of this crazy Torre quote earlier in the year, and of course - it has now made the rounds so many times that people love to quote it as being a possibility. Carew was an amazing, pure hitter - and I'm pretty sure his glove was solid as well. I don't see how either applies to this Cano kid (especially in the field, where he makes simple mistakes, and costly errors all the time).
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, Cano is a rookie for goodness sake. Nobody here is qualified to say whether or not his defense will improve. I will say this, he makes enough tough and spectacular plays for me to think the fielding will come. You guys all point out what he does wrong, no Yankee basher wants to point out the incredible double play he pulled off in last night loss.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>Carew was an amazing, pure hitter - and I'm pretty sure his glove was solid as well. I don't see how either applies to this Cano kid >>

Cano is a natural hitter. He's fearless at the plate. You can tell when someone knows what they're doing at the plate except when that player is a Yankee, and a Yankee hater is watching.

His defense is a different matter, and he clearly needs a lot of improvement.
  • Options
    Exactly Softparade...and get this...
    Carew's rookie season, he fielded with a .976 fielding percentage
    Cano? .974 fielding percentage.
    Of course we cant predict if and how much Cano will improve in years to come but for a rookie I would say he is comparable to any other average rookie.
    And the earlier point I made....
    What I was saying is that Jeter did not play good defense in the minors and improved dramatically in the majors...a part of that reason is due to field conditions and I would assume the rest is due to hard work. My point is that Cano has the opportunity to do the same. I never stated that Jeter was a defensive wizard though certainly not at all bad by any stretch of the imagination...gold gloves or no gold gloves.
  • Options

<< <i>Carew's rookie season, he fielded with a .976 fielding percentage >>

<< <i>Cano? .974 fielding percentage. >>

I didn't know that. Thanks Yankeeno image.

Also let's check Carew's rookie (Age 22) batting stats:

514 ABs with 8 HRs, 51 RBIs and a .292 BA

Versus Robinson Cano (Age 22) batting stats:

522 ABs with 14 HRs, 62 RBIs and a .297 BA

Take that Yankee haters!!!
  • Options
    Yeah let's call Cano the next Carew after less than a season. Not.

Good lord are you yankee 'fans' that desperate for a positive spin on this season, that for $208 million in payroll, all you can talk about and pin your hopes on is a guy making pennies compared to the bloated, god-forsaken payroll of the 'stars' of this team?

Sad.

• Options
    Okay - good points. But, don't you see? This is what drives the typical Yankee hater fan nuts...of all people to start comparing a rookie with, with just one season under his belt - it has to be Hall Of Famer Rod Carew? Don't you think this is a bit of a stretch? He had a nice little season offensively, a bad one defensively, and wasn't even the best rookie 2B in his league (Iguchi was)...who really knows if he will amount to anything more than an average player for the rest of his career? No one can actually say with certainty at this point.
  • Options
    Hmmmmmm....interesting.......image
  • Options

<< <i>Okay - good points. But, don't you see? This is what drives the typical Yankee hater fan nuts...of all people to start comparing a rookie with, with just one season under his belt - it has to be Hall Of Famer Rod Carew? Don't you think this is a bit of a stretch? He had a nice little season offensively, a bad one defensively, and wasn't even the best rookie 2B in his league (Iguchi was)...who really knows if he will amount to anything more than an average player for the rest of his career? No one can actually say with certainty at this point. >>

If you're a yankee fan, because Cano's a yankee, it means he's going to be a hall of famer!!!

I mean to hell with the other teams in the league, they're just cannon fodder for the all-powerful yankees!!!

• Options

<< <i>Good lord are you yankee 'fans' that desperate for a positive spin on this season, that for $208 million in payroll, all you can talk about and pin your hopes on is a guy making pennies compared to the bloated, god-forsaken payroll of the 'stars' of this team? >>

You're the one beating the Cano horse to death. Go see the stats and the bottom of the last page, and tell us if you want to debate this any further. I don't know if he's the next Carew or not, but he had a dam fine season, and he has a big future.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah let's call Cano the next Carew after less than a season. Not.

Good lord are you yankee 'fans' that desperate for a positive spin on this season, that for $208 million in payroll, all you can talk about and pin your hopes on is a guy making pennies compared to the bloated, god-forsaken payroll of the 'stars' of this team?

Sad. >>

It is sad, isn't it? The Yankee ship is getting old and rusty, and all they keep doing is slapping some fancy paint on it. Eventually, you can't cover it up anymore. That time is coming soon.

Like, tommorrow.
  • Options
    Speaking of humor! LOL
    Funny to see when there comparisons come out....JUST FOR FUN...just how much it annoys Yankee haters! LOL image
  • Options

<< <i> and wasn't even the best rookie 2B in his league (Iguchi was). >>

Come on, Iguchi is 30 years old. You know in the real world he's not a rookie.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> and wasn't even the best rookie 2B in his league (Iguchi was). >>

Come on, Iguchi is 30 years old. You know in the real world he's not a rookie. >>

But it's his first year in the majors...and the major league fields are soooo much different than the ones outside the bigs!

• Options
    And probably why Iguchi won't end up ROY...same reason Matsui didnt.
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of humor! LOL
    Funny to see when there comparisons come out....JUST FOR FUN...just how much it annoys Yankee haters! LOL image >>

But it's not just for fun...you all really do think that he's the next carew, that he's a hall of famer!

That's the most fun of it...showing how idiotic you yankee 'fans' are because you feel everyone who puts on pinstripes should be in the hall (the HoF arguments for Mattingly, Munson, Bernie, etc. etc).

It's pretty pathetic, actually.
  • Options

<< <i>And probably why Iguchi won't end up ROY...same reason Matsui didnt. >>

Ichiro did.

• Options

<< <i>But it's his first year in the majors...and the major league fields are soooo much different than the ones outside the bigs! >>

If Cano wasn't a Yankee you would never make that argument image

Tell me, who has more potential upside, Cano or Iguchi?
  • Options
    I would definately consider Ichiro an exception.
  • Options

<< <i>But it's not just for fun...you all really do think that he's the next carew, that he's a hall of famer! >>

Look Torre made the comment, and I would put a lot of stock in what he thinks. He doesn't routinely make those kind of statements. He clearly sees something special. Will he be a future HOF? Who the hell knows. Carew's sophomore season wasn't so hot, and look where he ended up.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>But it's his first year in the majors...and the major league fields are soooo much different than the ones outside the bigs! >>

If Cano wasn't a Yankee you would never make that argument image

Tell me, who has more potential upside, Cano or Iguchi? >>

If cano wasn't a yankee, I still wouldn't say he's the next Carew...unlike you all, who wouldn't even know who Cano was (hell, or anyone outside NY) if they weren't yankees.

More upside? Hell, give me a solid fielding second baseman instead of that hack Cano...every time the ball's hit to him I imagine Torre paraphrasing the movie 'Necessary Roughness':

"DON'T HIT IT TO STONEHANDS!!"
  • Options
    STONE HANDS? No STONE HEAD at this point. Yes

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I think a lot of the Cano hype stems from the Yanks needing a rookie - any rookie - to pin their hopes on for the future. It has been a long time since a player came up through that depleted farm system and became a valuable member of the team (perhaps CI was your last).
  • Options

<< <i>More upside? Hell, give me a solid fielding second baseman instead of that hack Cano...every time the ball's hit to him I imagine Torre paraphrasing the movie 'Necessary Roughness': >>

You're so blind image
  • Options

<< <i> think a lot of the Cano hype stems from the Yanks needing a rookie - any rookie - to pin their hopes on for the future. It has been a long time since a player came up through that depleted farm system and became a valuable member of the team (perhaps CI was your last). >>

There's a lot of truth to that statement. We've traded away a lot of talent because Steinbrenner is interested in today and not tomorrow.
  • Options
    Nah, Cano is the real deal. For you to say otherwise just means you have not watched him play and are judging by his fielding stats on paper. This kid is going to be a dangerous offensive player. The fielding will come. He is a 22 year old kid.

• Options
    Why wouldnt Yankee fans want a new group of rookies to come up and step up to the plate?
    Wang, Cano...and who knows who else to come?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>More upside? Hell, give me a solid fielding second baseman instead of that hack Cano...every time the ball's hit to him I imagine Torre paraphrasing the movie 'Necessary Roughness': >>

You're so blind image >>

Really?

Do I need to point out his nearly leading the league in errors by second basemen, right behind Soriano (despite playing in many less games)?

It's not hard to come up with, when you take yankee fanaticism out of the equation and look at the facts.
  • Options

<< <i>Why wouldnt Yankee fans want a new group of rookies to come up and step up to the plate?
    Wang, Cano...and who knows who else to come? >>

Nobody, they've dealt everyone else away.

• Options
    And that is why everyone's head is spinning when Crosby makes a great catch in the field or Small pitches effectively...uh huh
  • Options

<< <i>It's not hard to come up with, when you take yankee fanaticism out of the equation and look at the facts. >>

Virtually the same fielding stats as Carew had his rookie year and better batting stats.

Those are the facts that you still don't acknowledge.
  • Options

<< <i>Why wouldnt Yankee fans want a new group of rookies to come up and step up to the plate?

I'll tell you why - because that would mean rebuilding. And, a 4-5 year window where the Yanks would barely be a .500 club. Steinbrenner could not handle this, and would try and add as many FA signings as he could to the mix, which would slow down your rebuilding process. I don't think the Yanks will ever sit still for a rebuilding period, especially with George at the helm.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's not hard to come up with, when you take yankee fanaticism out of the equation and look at the facts. >>

Virtually the same fielding stats as Carew had his rookie year and better batting stats.

Those are the facts that you still don't acknowledge. >>

YOU CAN'T TAKE ONE YEAR AND COMPARE THE TWO!

Why can't you yankee fanatics get that into your heads?

I bet I can come up with 1000000 nobodies who put up the same numbers in their first year than Cano did - so why jump to the Carew comparison?

• Options
    You're right Ctsoxfan. Steinbrenner has absolutely no interest in building a team for 5 years from now. He has said many times that at his age he wants to win right now. It's starting to hurt us so in a few more years you'll have something to look forward to image.
  • Options

<< <i>

I'll tell you why - because that would mean rebuilding. And, a 4-5 year window where the Yanks would barely be a .500 club. Steinbrenner could not handle this, and would try and add as many FA signings as he could to the mix, which would slow down your rebuilding process. I don't think the Yanks will ever sit still for a rebuilding period, especially with George at the helm. >>

And sure as hell not with the NY media and it's rabid fan base...they NEED to win every year to validate their claiming the yankees as 'their' team.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    Just the fact that some Yankee Bashers are attracted to this post like a He Man Lover shows the jealousy because of what a great player Cano is.

On a side note Ichiro won the Rookie of the Year and Matsui was slighted because he plays fpr the Yankees. Truth be told no player who has played professional baseball in another country for at least 2 years should be eligible for MLB ROY.