Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just bought a Barber Dime collection (52 coins)

I collect Morgan dollars and was directed to a relative's friend who had an album with "Morgans". They said there were only a few empty slots. Knew nothing about coins and just wanted to get rid of everything. Turned out to be Barber dimes, not Morgan dollars. Still learning. Didn't know the Whitman album listed these as "BARBER, LIBERTY HEAD OR MORGAN DIME COLLECTION". Where is the Morgan connection?

Most appear to be G or AG. One or two might be better. There was an 1867 three cent piece thrown in the 1894-O slot.

What do you think? I'm not looking to start a new collection, but my kids or nephew will enjoy it as a low grade starter set. Maybe I'll even try to finish it. Paid $25.

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that "RARE" plug in the 1894-s port
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Lots of holes on the first page. Should be fun finishing and upgrading the set. I like the look of the 1913. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    mademanmademan Posts: 431 ✭✭
    I think it is 25.00 well spent- I wonder when the previous owner started the collection?- I started mine in 1970 when I was 12 and filled the easy spots with coins from the junk boxes. Each coin cost .60 each-it was great fun and if you pass it on to a young person I think it would be a great gift-very cool low cost item-these blue whitman set are the basis for many great collection - most of us start small---Don/MM
  • Options
    Post it on eBay under Barber dimes, not collections. It'll get more looks that way.

The '98-O and '00-O are worth close to $10 each if you decide to part it out.

Check the '05-O for a micro-O.

Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great buy. It looks like there's not a cleaned coin in the set. (At least not one that was cleaned anytime recently.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    That's an interesting "dime" in the 94-O hole.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    you STOLE the set!

K S
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

You stole it bigtime.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    94-O coin is my favorite one...hands down!

• Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    I think it's pretty lame to include the 1894-S slot in the album. How many people will ever be able to complete the album? How many copies do you think Whitman made? More than 24 I'm sure image
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheesh, send it back, what lowlife collector doesn't even have a 94-S Dime for his set? I just hate it when collectors spend so much time building a beautiful Fair-AG set and don't take the trouble to fill in the rarest coins of the century with it. Slimeball! imageimage

Tyler
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice RIP for $25! The set is probably worth $200 or more. I purchased a complete set (less the overdate, micro's or 94-s) last month in strong VG-Fine. First time I've ever "completed" a real set of anything in my life. image But this is the cheatin way.

Keep buying those sets for $25!

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>I love that "RARE" plug in the 1894-s port >>

how do you feel about the three cent nickel?

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I've only taken a few coins out of the slots. Checked the 1905-O. Compared to another 'O' mint, no micro. Checked the 1893 for an overdate. Too much crud, but it doesn't look like a 3/2.

If I got a super deal, I'm going back to give the seller a few more bucks. She's a very nice elderly woman and a friend of my mom's.

<< <i>how do you feel about the three cent nickel? >>

Looks cool to me. I've never seen one before. I have one three cent silver. The nickel three cent looks like it's been cleaned in the past. I like the die cracks on the reverse at 1, 5, and 10 o'clock. See scans below.

<< <i>I wonder when the previous owner started the collection? >>

The woman is in her 70's and said they belonged to her step-father. Sounded like they all came from his pocket change. Tried to convince her to save them for her grandchildren. Unfortunately she doesn't have any kids or grandkids.

Why the rarity of the 94-S? Was the mint only open for an hour that year? What's the story?

Some of the coins have black powder looking stuff around the edge. Looks like oxidation. Will this come off with an SOS pad or should I get a heavier grit sand paper? That's a little coin-cleaning humor! Seriously, I was going to soak them in acetone for a while. Is that going to remove any of that stuff?

Thanks again!

• Options
    Why did Whitman even place a slot for the 94-S in the album: it was a proof only issue anyway, and not part of the business strike set. Sheesh!
  • Options

<< <i>Why did Whitman even place a slot for the 94-S in the album: it was a proof only issue anyway, and not part of the business strike set. Sheesh! >>

In addition, I don't think that the caliper of collector, who would own a 94-S Barber dime, would be pressing their super rare coin into a cheap, $3.00, Whitman coin folder.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Be careful, Circulated Barber Dime sets can be addictive. MrsSpud started out buying a partial set in a Whitman album for the price of silver and then ended buying another and another. Then the upgrades... image

Here is a link to pictures of her set. MrsSpud's Barber Dime set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file