Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newspaper report: Noe was cozy with coin-rating company (NGC)

13»

Comments

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Leo, I think you are perseverating......... step away from the thread..... image >>

OK!

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt

Stewart is a TROUBLEMAKER! image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Stewart is a TROUBLEMAKER!

I thought Stewart was a weenie......... it looks like LEO is the troublemaker........ image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    An NGC representative who spoke on condition of anonymity denied wrongdoing by the Sarasota, Fla., company. Noe had no say over daily operations, and a review found he did not receive preferential grades on coins he and his partners submitted, the representative said. Salzberg and Eichenbaum did not return calls.

With the following data I've provided in an earlier thread, I would think NGC has their butts covered on this one! image

I've been doing some research and comparisons with the number of Pcgs and Ngc certified coins (business strike nickels only, dating back to January 2000) that have sold through the Heritage and Teletrade (nickels only dating from 1938 to 1970)
    Here's the run down on coins sold, Pcgs verses Ngc through Heritage auctions since January 2000.
    .............Pcgs......Ngc
    MS67.......247......533........1006
    MS66......1000......536.......1012
    MS65........728.......33..........62
    MS64........111........8...........15
    Total.......2096....1110.......2096

96% of Ngc coins that sold thru Heritage grade MS66 and MS67 while Pcgs has a 59% rating for the same two grades of coins.
    The percent of Pcgs coins that grade MS67 is only 12% compared to Ngc's 53%

And here are the numbers for Pcgs and Ngc that sold through Teletrade in the last 360 days.
    ............Pcgs......%.........Ngc........%............
    MS67......177.....9.8.........378........39.2..........704
    MS66......722....40.2........442........45.9..........823
    MS65......643....36.8........118........12.2..........219
    MS64......226....12.6........ 22..........2.2............41
    MS63........26....,1.4...........3...........,.3............5.6
    Total......1794.................963........................1794

NGC numbers indicate that 85% of their nickel slabs that sell through Teletrade grade MS66 and MS67 while the percent for for Pcgs is at 50%
    Ngc grades almost 4X (704/177) the number of MS67 coins than Pcgs.
    While Pcgs grades almost 3X (643/219) the number of MS65 coins than Ngc.
    While Pcgs grades almost 5.5X (226/41) the number of MS64 coins than Ngc.

The last column of numbers show what Ngc would have graded/sold if their total
    numbers were equal to Pcgs.

Leo

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh? What's that got to do with the price of tea in China???
  • Options

<< <i>Huh? What's that got to do with the price of tea in China??? >>

and a review found he did not receive preferential grades on coins he and his partners submitted, the representative said.

One way of learning if someone received preferential grades is to do a comparison to the norm of how a TGS grades or conducts it business. Since 96% of Ngc coins that sold thru Heritage graded MS66 and MS67, there would not be any inconsistancy in the way NGC graded Noe's coins if he received the same % of grades.
    The 59% of PCGS MS66 and MS67 graded coins that sold thru Heritage is considerably lower than the 96% that NGC shows! But using these kind of statictics from Heritage or Teletrade for comparison may not be the best example but a big difference does exist in grading practices between the two grading companies.

Leo

• Options
    Since 96% of Ngc coins that sold thru Heritage graded MS66 and MS67, there would not be any inconsistancy in the way NGC graded Noe's coins if he received the same % of grades.

LOL! Are you serious???
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Agreed, image
  • Options

<< <i>Since 96% of Ngc coins that sold thru Heritage graded MS66 and MS67, there would not be any inconsistancy in the way NGC graded Noe's coins if he received the same % of grades.

LOL! Are you serious??? >>

You've missed my point! image

Leo

• Options
    That NGC overgrades everything and therefore he got no preferential treatment when everything went up? image

I've only ever had ONE coin go up at NGC... and that was thru NCS - and it was later sold for a loss. Most coins submitted came back at exactly the same grade as before. In order to see preferential treatment, one would need to see exactly how much value was created for the submittor.
  • Options
    My data is based on Jefferson nickels only. I haven't nor do I plan on searching every series! I have no idea how the other series would fare although there may be a higher bias towards moderns than classic coins. But on the other hand if NGC's consistancy were the same as the Jefferson nickels and this was the point I was making, how could they prove of any special preference was given if NGC consistently overgrades coins.

Leo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file