Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newspaper report: Noe was cozy with coin-rating company (NGC)

Comments

• Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    Something I haven't heard mentioned. Who did the appraisals for state of Ohio?

For this to work an appraiser has to inflate the value. Maybe Ohio just took Noe and his partner’s guesstamation of the value.

Oh, I forgot, Noe has done no wrong, the trial isn't over.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tempest in a teapot!!!

I disagree. It is indeed a wake up call for the industry. >>

Mark my word. People have a short memory. This will blow over soon enough.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I would find it interesting to have the Noe stash of NGC coins sent in small batches to PCGS for crossover. Wouldn't the prosecuting attornery have a good time with the crossover results?image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    I agree that this article is mostly hype by the author, with more being implied than actually stated.
    However, this seemed to be a pretty blatant accusation:

<< <i>NGC forbids its graders from selling and buying coins to ensure impartiality, but the prohibition apparently does not extend to the company’s president, Salzberg. In a 2001 deal, Salzberg sold $2 million in coins to Noe and Greenburg, with the state coin fund obligated to pay $1.55 million of the total. >>

While NGC may or may not be "in" on this, if Salzberg is really privately buying and selling valuable coins while holding his current title, I can definitely see a conflict of interest.

The author says "the prohibition apparently dose not extend to the companies president..." Well, do some research and find out whether or not it does, we could all care less what is "apparently" going on! I want to know what really is going on, so get back out there and don't come back until you have some facts for your story!
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options

<< <i>

Mark my word. People have a short memory. This will blow over soon enough. >>

They may have even shorter wallets when they begin trying to sell optimistically graded coins into a declining and attentive market.
  • Options
    I'll assume that PCGS is not susceptible to 'influential' submitters(?)

heheh
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    While NGC may or may not be "in" on this, if Salzberg is really privately buying and selling valuable coins while holding his current title, I can definitely see a conflict of interest.

The author says "the prohibition apparently dose not extend to the companies president..." Well, do some research and find out whether or not it does, we could all care less what is "apparently" going on! I want to know what really is going on, so get back out there and don't come back until you have some facts for your story! >>

Doesn't David Hall buy and sell PCGS graded coins?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The author says "the prohibition apparently dose not extend to the companies president..." Well, do some research and find out whether or not it does, we could all care less what is "apparently" going on! I want to know what really is going on, so get back out there and don't come back until you have some facts for your story! >>

Doesn't David Hall buy and sell PCGS graded coins? >>

Beats me. I'm still new to all of this and don't know the rules applied to the TPG owners and presidents. I remember reading that normal employees can't buy and sell coins though.. right? Does anyone know if they can/do B/S/T coins?
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grading is an opinion of a coin's market value. We pay people who know far more about
    preservation and the market to furnish an opinion on the value of a coin.

It should be obvious to even the most casual observer that when small differences in con-
    dition can mean big differences in value that there is a potential for conflicts of interest. It
    should be equally obvious that every coin that leaves a grader with the wrong "grade" that
    there is significant danger of damaging their reputation and rendering the value of their op-
    inion to decrease. Certainly the graders are well aware of this and would always be careful
    to not allow misgraded coins to appear on the market and would be more cautious to not al-
    low a pattern to develop. It seems very early in this story to be condemning anyone.

NCS has been restoring coins that have been damaged partly as the result of the increased
    demand for "market acceptable" coins and partly because the increased value of many such
    coins makes such a venture viable. It does seem odd that so many of the Ohio coins have
    been through this but this may merely represent the estimation of market value of the princi-
    ples in this investment. It is very early and there is very little evidence to draw many conclu-
    sions.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I think NGC specifically states it is arms length. The right thing for Salzberg to do would have been to sell the coins in a public auction. I can't believe no one here is suspicious? Even if only 10% of what was written were fact-its still very bad news.

And did Hall get busted for that years ago also? But didn't he drop the arms length thing (in print)?

What a business!
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    $766 per coin? Maybe he used the "Presidential Review" option.

Seriously, this sort of thing doesn't benefit anybody; not the 3rd tier services or the industry.

We'll see how this plays out, but at the very least these guys are guilty of stupidity. People at that level of the game aren't often in the stupid catagory, but it happens...just ask Ken Lay.

I'm betting on indictments coming down.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>While NGC may or may not be "in" on this, if Salzberg is really privately buying and selling valuable coins while holding his current title, I can definitely see a conflict of interest. >>

The article mentioned "selling" coins - it is entirely possible that they were acquired many years ago and that there was no current "buying and selling" taking place.
  • Options
    Why doesn't anyone here understand how bad the publicity is for everyone????? Even if NGC and Salzberg are innocent????

What are my NGC coins going to be worth in the future?
  • Options
    This is the ONLY useful post I've seen about the Ohio problem-- At $750+ per coin and 261 coins, this simply suggests that NGC's opinion can be bought for a price. I was going to try to sell NGC stock short, then since it's private, bought some more CU!! The only thing dumber than buying an NGC coin IMHO, would be sending in one to NGC and getting a low grade because your not "connected"--or using their conservation service!!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    What are my NGC coins going to be worth in the future?

The coin's values are unchanged. The holders may be worth less. The good news is that can be fixed with a hammer.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ........documents examined by The Dispatch show that the Maumee coin dealer’s numerous interactions with NGC and its top executives qualify him as the ultimate insider.

before everyone burns RGL at the stake, try to consider that his article may well be based on evidence unknown to the general public.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>I'm a little out of my league with this question, but I always hear that sometimes a "local" story is "picked up" by the AP and thereafter gets distributed nationally. Does anyone know if this story has made headlines anywhere other than Ohio? What can cause this story to be distributed and discussed nationally? >>

The story got picked up by the Associated Press around the middle
    of June and stories ran in papers around the country for a day or
    two giving the basic outline of the story.

NBC nightly news ran a segment on the story about a month ago.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    How more virtuous then Ceasars Wife, must one be.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>

I wouldn't be so sure of that. There are currently three grand
    juries looking into various aspects of this case. A year from
    now I expect this story to still be in the news.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin's values are unchanged. The holders may be worth less. The good news is that can be fixed with a hammer. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I'm just curious when this whole fiasco comes to a head.........how many end up wearing stripes, how many plea bargain, how many just get fines and a slap on the wrist, and how many walk away scott free?
  • Options
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how many end up wearing stripes, how many plea bargain, how many just get fines and a slap on the wrist, and how many walk away scott free?

one, one, none and all the rest.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the posts by Russ and CTcollector. This situation needs to be fully investigated. As to costing us money, it already has for me-quite a coincidence that they should start taxing coins in this state right at the same time as this fiasco occurred.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with the posts by Russ and CTcollector. This situation needs to be fully investigated. As to costing us money, it already has for me-quite a coincidence that they should start taxing coins in this state right at the same time as this fiasco occurred. >>

If you are talking about Ohio it is no coincidence at all.

Noe pushed through the tax exempt status for coin sales in Ohio
    back in 1989 and the law was often referred to as
    the "Noe amendment". Since Noe's name is now political poison
    in Ohio it was easy for legislators to vote to recind the tax
    exemption.
  • Options
    So just for the sake of argument, that if NGC did indeed overgrade coins are they not liable through their gauantee to buy them back?image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So just for the sake of argument, that if NGC did indeed overgrade coins are they not liable through their gauantee to buy them back? >>

Yes but I believe that they are also the arbiter of any disputes about whether or not they overgraded; kind of like the prisoners guarding the jail.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Randy,

why don't you strongly consider trying to stick your head up your butt? Your journalism is weak and your personal Constitution is pathetic.

Is your alternate ID, Michigan?

Tom Pilitowskiimage >>

Just another whine from a dealer who doesn't like to see these kinds of stories that make the coin
    business look bad.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Randy,

why don't you strongly consider trying to stick your head up your butt? Your journalism is weak and your personal Constitution is pathetic.

Tom Pilitowskiimage >>

Just another whine from a dealer who doesn't like to see these kinds of stories that make the coin

business look bad. >>

Wrong and comments from you have zero credibility so bite me.

Are you male or female by the way? Little of both maybe?
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Randy,

Tom Pilitowskiimage >>

business look bad. >>

Wrong and comments from you have zero credibility so bite me.

Are you male or female by the way? Little of both maybe? >>

I know a little baby down the street...
    Whose got the cutest way with a boogie beat...

He's got a little rattle he shakes around....
    I don't know where that rhythm he ever found....

Oh he's a Rockaboogie Baby, Rockaboogie baby of mine....

He's a boogie fella natural born......
    Who never ever likes lullabyes that are worn....

He always uses Boogie to go to sleep....
    Shakes his little rattle instead of counting sheep.....

Oh he's a Rockaboogie Baby, Rockaboogie baby of mine....

Papa said to momma, what ever did we do?.....
    To make the Baby boogie instead of goo goo goo.....

Momma said to poppa its funny but its true....
    The baby rock's a boogie like we used to do.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread.

It is surprising to me that people are shocked that a TPG would have close associations with their biggest customers; they are a business, not a government agency, and they need to be responsive to the people who pay their bills. That being said, those relationships should be left at the door of the grading room.

Based upon the information in the article, there doesn't appear to be any real evidence to indicate that Noe/Rare Coin Alliance/Numismatic Professionals were able to exert undo influence on graders - the story relies to heavily on innuendo.

Also, many on the board have expressed surprise at a reported average cost of around $700/coin to have items graded and conserved. NCS charges 2.5% plus grading fees for their services regardless of the outcome. On a submission of the size mentioned in the article, I think the math works.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The article mentioned "selling" coins - it is entirely possible that they were acquired many years ago and that there was no current "buying and selling" taking place.

Other possibilities include a sale/repurchase arrangement, which is essentially a loan in which the title of the coin passes to the lender and then, upon repayment of the loan, back to the borrower. Another possibility is that Salzberg lent money to Noe by making purchases on his behalf. In that scenario, the coins would later be sold by Salzberg to Noe, but there would probably be no conflict of interest.

Like Regulated said, the article is mostly innuendo. Let's wait for more facts.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The truth hurts! Hey, in the end these guys are going to cost ALL of us money! >>

Higher submission fees? Oh no!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

<< <i>Brandt said it could be difficult to sell the cache of Noe coins sight unseen because of perceptions that they could be overgraded — and overpriced — in light of the Noe-NGC relationship.

But, he said, he has no evidence that coins were consciously overgraded.

Is Mr.Brandt fueling the public perception the coins might have been overgraded, and is that good for the fund? >>

Now where would the public get the idea that NGC overgrades it's coins?

Leo

• Options

<< <i>Only one 2003 transaction resulted in nearly $200k in conservation fees?!? Wow - I can imagine that they must have spent purt near a million bucks over the years of the Fund. All for a little dip and strip that most dealers can do themselves .... or hire someone to do a hell of a lot cheaper than that. Why would they send all that money to NCS?

Hmmmm. >>

You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. I would check the backs of all those who were involved and see who has been scratched the most!

Leo

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> "I’m going to take a long, hard look at these boys . . . (and) turn their shorts inside out. >>

interesting.................... >>

Sounds like these guys are going to get their oil checked!

Leo image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow, 25 million? Whats that, a tenth of one percent of the entire coin market? I promise, I'm not on your case, its just not a major factor for the coin market. Its only a major factor for the few parties involved >>

BuffQuarter, it's not just the amount of $ involved that concerns some hobbyists - it's also about the implications of many of the allegations, which, if true (and I'd like to think they aren't), make for a much larger/widespread problem. >>

Does this mean we could finally get an answer to what a certified MS65 coin IS?

Leo image

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    M.Salzberg collected coins way back when... 30 years ago.... and I would guess still does and did. If he buys via other dealers or auction, and sells the same way (in the original NGC or PCGS holder), where is the conflict of interest? Sort of like David Hall Rare Coins which does not submit coins to PCGS. I believe others are sweating the results of the upcoming "disclosure". Good. Doubt if NGC as a company will be affected.

K
  • Options

<< <i>It is naive to view this story as anything but a negative for the field.

Right or wrong it taints whole concept of independent grading. Just the open discussion of upgrades, 'conservation' and crossovers has likely surprised some with less knowledge of the field.

Some who read article and who hold NGC slabs are likely feeling a little less secure about their holdings.
    Less sucure in accuracy of grade...........insecure that even if grade is correct that a proven taint on NGC will taint ALL NGC slabbed coins.

Some will attempt crossovers and while many/most will be successful those who aren't will feel betrayed. Even if successful they won't feel quite as comfortable the next time they go to buy any coin.
    Errosion of the field will start at the bottom not at the top.

I know all of the purists will say "Buy the coin not the slab" but the simple fact is that a significant % of retail customers depend on the slab for accurate grading! Just look at 'slabbed vs. nonslabbed' sales and prices on Ebay.

Anything that hurts the perception of an independent and accurate third party grading system hurts the field. You can't have it both ways. You can't enjoy the run up in prices that has occured in part because of TPG then snear to masses....."Buy the coin not the slab". If confidence in the 'slab' falls so will interest in the field. >>

Yes, it would be a good time for all those collectors who have been sitting on their hands because they have had some hunch, for some time now, that their coins just might be overgraded!

Leo image

• Options

<< <i>I would find it interesting to have the Noe stash of NGC coins sent in small batches to PCGS for crossover. Wouldn't the prosecuting attornery have a good time with the crossover results?image >>

How so?

Leo

• Options

<< <i>I agree that this article is mostly hype by the author, with more being implied than actually stated.
    However, this seemed to be a pretty blatant accusation:

<< <i> Salzberg sold $2 million in coins to Noe and Greenburg, with the state coin fund obligated to pay $1.55 million of the total. >>

While NGC may or may not be "in" on this, if Salzberg is really privately buying and selling valuable coins while holding his current title, I can definitely see a conflict of interest. >>

They must of been certified coins, correct? Or were they raw coins, sent to the cleaners, NCS?

Leo

• Options

<< <i>

People who have blown alot of money don't have short memories.

Leo

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Doesn't David Hall buy and sell PCGS graded coins? >>

Yes, but he doesn't submit them.

Leo

• Options

<< <i>Grading is an opinion of a coin's market value. We pay people who know far more about
    preservation and the market to furnish an opinion on the value of a coin.

It should be obvious to even the most casual observer that when small differences in con-
    dition can mean big differences in value that there is a potential for conflicts of interest. It
    should be equally obvious that every coin that leaves a grader with the wrong "grade" that
    there is significant danger of damaging their reputation and rendering the value of their op-
    inion to decrease. Certainly the graders are well aware of this and would always be careful
    to not allow misgraded coins to appear on the market and would be more cautious to not al-
    low a pattern to develop. It seems very early in this story to be condemning anyone.

NCS has been restoring coins that have been damaged partly as the result of the increased
    demand for "market acceptable" coins and partly because the increased value of many such
    coins makes such a venture viable. It does seem odd that so many of the Ohio coins have
    been through this but this may merely represent the estimation of market value of the princi-
    ples in this investment. It is very early and there is very little evidence to draw many conclu-
    sions. >>

But you would think or at least hope that 3 professional graders and sometimes a finalizer who are paid 100's of thousands dollars would get it right every time they grade a coin. Yes, it's coming to a screeching halt!

Leo

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Leo, I think you are perseverating......... step away from the thread..... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>This is the ONLY useful post I've seen about the Ohio problem-- At $750+ per coin and 261 coins, this simply suggests that NGC's opinion can be bought for a price. I was going to try to sell NGC stock short, then since it's private, bought some more CU!! The only thing dumber than buying an NGC coin IMHO, would be sending in one to NGC and getting a low grade because your not "connected"--or using their conservation service!!image >>

Is it possible that they have it written in a clause somewhere that NCS can charge up to a certain percentage per value of the coin?

Leo

• Options

<< <i>What are my NGC coins going to be worth in the future?

The coin's values are unchanged. The holders may be worth less. The good news is that can be fixed with a hammer. >>

Don
    Did you say jack hammer?

Leoimage

• Options

<< <i>I'm just curious when this whole fiasco comes to a head.........how many end up wearing stripes, how many plea bargain, how many just get fines and a slap on the wrist, and how many walk away scott free? >>

It's "scotch", not Scott! Scott works for NCS! image

Leo (just kidding)

• Options

<< <i>Interesting thread.

It is surprising to me that people are shocked that a TPG would have close associations with their biggest customers; they are a business, not a government agency, and they need to be responsive to the people who pay their bills. That being said, those relationships should be left at the door of the grading room.

Based upon the information in the article, there doesn't appear to be any real evidence to indicate that Noe/Rare Coin Alliance/Numismatic Professionals were able to exert undo influence on graders - the story relies to heavily on innuendo.

Also, many on the board have expressed surprise at a reported average cost of around $700/coin to have items graded and conserved. NCS charges 2.5% plus grading fees for their services regardless of the outcome. On a submission of the size mentioned in the article, I think the math works. >>

If evidence is leaked or posted, it just may get thrown out of court.

Leo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file