Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you know of any hoarded coins?

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
I posted this in the 50-D nickel thread, but it got buried.

One example today is the 1844 dime. While not common, it's not rare, either. Someone in CA has about 600 of them. He tried to sell the hoard a few years ago without success. Hopefully, he loses his shirt when he finally does sell, for trying to manipulate the market.

Anyone know of other currently overpriced, hoarded coins?

Comments

• Options
    All of mine!!image

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    The new bison nickels are pretty heavily hoarded, IMO.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 14 1921 peace dollars. My own little mini hoard.

BTW, define hoard.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Detroit area collector has (or had) a large hoard of 1872 Indian cents, mostly in higher grades and very nice.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭
    My mom has a friend in NC somewhere that, along with her siblings, has found approximately 4 5gallon buckets of coins in their mothers house dating back to 1834. The house has been in the family for over 100 years. I'm hoping to help them in inventorying them soon.
    imageimage

• Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315

<< <i>My mom has a friend in NC somewhere that, along with her siblings, has found approximately 4 5gallon buckets of coins in their mothers house dating back to 1834. The house has been in the family for over 100 years. I'm hoping to help them in inventorying them soon. >>

Now datz a lotta coins!!!

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that there were two big hoards of 1856 Flying Eagle cents. One hoard that was owned by a man named Rice contained over 750 examples. The Beck hoard, which had an overlap with the previous hoard might contained 1,000 or more coins. That was broken up in the mid 1970s.

Given the numbers the 1856 Flying Eagle cent is like the 1907 high relief double eagle. It's among the most expensive, not so rare coins, but its fame keeps the prices up.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The new bison nickels are pretty heavily hoarded, IMO. >>

Must be. I haven't seen one yet!
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    I'd tell you of one certain coin that is being hoarded, but if I did, I'd have to kill you... image
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Posts: 903
    I know a nice local guy who has 2-rolls of 1972 Type-2 Ikes. (PCGS-Price Guide - Eisenhower Dollars) Said he's been searching for and collecting that specific variety for over 35 years
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085

<< <i>

<< <i>The new bison nickels are pretty heavily hoarded, IMO. >>

Must be. I haven't seen one yet! >>

Ditto here...something tells me that these will be available in BU for eons...
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options

<< <i> The new bison nickels are pretty heavily hoarded, IMO. >>

I have seen 1. Got it about a week ago.
    imageimage

• Options

<< <i><< My mom has a friend in NC somewhere that, along with her siblings, has found approximately 4 5gallon buckets of coins in their mothers house dating back to 1834. The house has been in the family for over 100 years. I'm hoping to help them in inventorying them soon. >> >>

<< <i>Now datz a lotta coins!!! >>

I have seen 2 of the buckets. The story goes that as the siblings were cleaning out the house in preparation for their mother going into a nursing facility(she has alzheimers), they started finding coins and paper money stashed everywhere........in the seat cushions on the sofas, underneath drawers in the furniture, behind the pictures, in the baseboards........so far, they've been diggin them out for about 2 years. They've also found a violin that sold for about $15,000. Would love to get my detector in the yard.
    imageimage

• Options
    I hoard all Kennedy half dollars that I come in contact with.
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    I know of many key and semi-key dates that are being hoarded. But I'm not tellingimage

One example would be 74-CC Dimes. There used to be a hoard of 40-50, but I think it has been broken up by now.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I know a man who hoards 1803 S-262 large cents. He wanted to prove single handedly that it was NOT an R-5 coin (R-5, not more than 75 pieces known). It has been several years since I knew what his count was, but at that time he had 68 specimens. He HAS single handedly greatly raised the price of the coin. Since he has so many of them off the market it has greatly increased the demand level for the few remaining pieces available.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of a dealer that has many g-xf svdb lincolns.

Someone is also keeping 55 DD lincolns.

Tbig
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A dealer friend has been helping a collector acquire XF-up 1916/16 Buffalos for many years.

A collector friend has bought every MS63-64-65 1880-CC 8/7 R78 (VAM 7) Morgan he has been able to find for the last five years or so. My guess is he has at least 50 of them by now.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A local dealer here I know has several hundred 1895-o Barber Dimes in AG thru XF. I have herd that he has several 1916's SLQ's??

Also, one other dealer I know has about 12 rolls of 1927-s SLQ's , only thing his are Good-Vf's mostly

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about the $4's in Switzerland?

The '13/14/15 50 cent pieces?

The 13-s Dime?

When you consider what a dealer could do with a hundred grand.....it would pay to do your due diligence when purchasing semi key and key dates.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry-

I have spoken with the California collector regarding the 1844s. My impression is that it was not about price manipulation at all. He just thought they were "cool", and was fairly familiar with the apocryphal lore which has surrounded the coin. I think if it was truly a market manipulation situation that none of us would know anything about it image
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Do you know of any hoarded coins?>>

Yes . . . image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a collector who has over 60 XF and above 1827 halves. (Actually, 63)...He shall remain nameless.image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    Working on my second roll of Flying Eagle cents as we speak.image

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I have tons of wheaties and memorial lincolns. Does that count??
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    At one point, I started hoarding 1913-S Barber quarters (mintage 40,000). I had about 40 of them and had dreams of acquiring 400 (1%) but at a couple of hundred dollars each even for low grade examples, even my scant 40 pieces got too expensive - and 400 pieces would be over $100k worth! I gave up about 5 years ago and slowly sold them off.......
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    I have about a dozen 1903-s Morgans...a mini hoard that keeps growing slowly...give me twenty years and I will corner the marketimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file