Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Dealers become big losers in Ohio

Comments

• Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    "This has nothing to do with the Noe [incident]," said Senate President Bill Harris (R., Ashland).

Does anyone buy this? image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how this would impact coin sales in OH.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>"This is one of the biggest scandals this state has ever faced," >>

Give me a break!! It's a $12-18 Billion Fund. This coin thing is getting blown way out of proportionimage
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    I wonder if all of the press on the Noe Incident will cause coin collection to perhaps increase in Ohio. Some might see the numbers and think --"gee, there's some money to be made in coins!"

I suppose I subscribe to the theory that any press is good press. Its certainly interesting press and I think if the Toledo Blade did a more mainstream story about rare coins, not one linked to corruption, it might actually have a positive effect on the hobby in general.

TPN
  • Options
    They are definately going to be hurting the dealers.

Are there any big shows that may stay clear of Ohio now?
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    GOLDGUYGOLDGUY Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Its not just Ohio dealers that will be hurt. Dealers don't pay the tax -- they simply collect it from customers and pass it along to the State. Ohio residents who collect coins and deal with local dealers will now be forced to either pay an extra 6% or deal with out-of-state entities. How many people in Ohio are willing to pay an extra 6% for American Eagles? Further, Ohio can kiss goodbye any chance of getting a major convention to come as nearly all Coin Expo planners try to stick with tax-friendly states when choosing a venue.

State officials are quoted as saying they expect to raise millions in revenue for the State. I hope someone keeps track of how much they REALLY end up collecting in revenue -- and compare that amount to how many coin businesses close (or at least layoff personnel) to see just how brilliant this idea is.
    Todd L. Imhof
    Partner / Executive VP
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    This would piss me off quite a bit, as I live in Ohio.....

5.5% is a large chunk on a large purchase.....

I would buy even more material (Bullion type coins like ASE & Maple Leafs) over the internet then I already do, as it would be cheaper.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a flat 5% tax on ALL coin purchases? I ask because many states have a tax on coin and bullion sales below $1,000, but nothing above that amount.

If the proposed Ohio tax works like other sales taxes, it will not apply to sales shipped out of state.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Coinhusker1Coinhusker1 Posts: 3,560

<< <i>This would piss me off quite a bit, as I live in Ohio.....

5.5% is a large chunk on a large purchase.....

I would buy even more material (Bullion type coins like ASE & Maple Leafs) over the internet then I already do, as it would be cheaper..... >>

Even then you might be subject to a use tax on out of state purchases, which you report on your state income tax form. However, most states do not aggressively enforce the use tax on individuals ---- yet!

Thankfully, my state (Conn) has kept their paws off coins, and should continue to do so if they ever want the ANA to use their shiny new convention center in Hartford!!
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Looks like OH might be intent on shrinking their tax base. Do they believe they operate in a vacuum? LOL...their neighbor states will enjoy the increased employment and revenue.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    The tax idea is disgusting. Richard Howard's Rare Coin Gallery, Ohio, has bought HUNDREDS of Morgans from me I got at estate sales, and always treated me fairly. And I've always been happy with his discriptions and coins I bought. Now I'm being hurt because some newspaper is after a Republican campaign contributer.

It's a 14 Billion dollar fund for God's sake---it goes up and down 10 million in value every hour--Who cares!!!Grow up OHIO!!!
    morgannut2
  • Options
    You would care a whole lot more if you lived in our state!image Thanks to Bob Taft and his buddy Bush, we have the worst economy in Ohio in history. Ohio is now the most manufacturing "unfriendly" state around. Also, our governor is ranked number 50 in the country, for his effective policies in running our state. Now it looks like coin collectors and dealers are going to share in the blame. tsk, tsk!!!
    Gary
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your governor would still be ranked #49 if former Gov. John Rowland of Connecticut didn't resign under fire.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>Give me a break!! It's a $12-18 Billion Fund. This coin thing is getting blown way out of proportion >>

Ya, but $10 million here and $10 million there and pretty soon it adds up to some real money image
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elwood is right in the sense that no one's retirement is seriously threatened here.

On the other hand, running off with $10M in taxpayer money (if that is indeed what occured here) is another thing entirely.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>On the other hand, running off with $10M in taxpayer money (if that is indeed what occured here) is another thing entirely. >>

And the state will spend $15 million investigating where that $10 million dollars went.
  • Options
    The investigation will probably lead to closing down more Public Libraries around the state.image
    Gary
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Bob Taft is a slimebag piece of cow dung.

He is useless unless you like having EVERYTHING increase in price.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>On the other hand, running off with $10M in taxpayer money (if that is indeed what occured here) is another thing entirely. >>

Yes that is bad and people should be prosecuted for their wrong doings. It's just so typical for the politicians to over react and over legislate to make themselves look good.
    The democrats and the toledo blade would love to see this turn out as badly as possible.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if I am a Michigan dealer (I'm not) with a table at an Ohio show, do I have to collect Ohio state tax and send it in? I would presume so.

If I am the same Michigan dealer setup in Ohio, and sell to a non-Ohio resident, do I still collect the tax?

My bet is if you are in the great state of Ohio, you will collect the tax - no exceptions.

I suspect most of the out of state dealers will now avoid Ohio shows because of the hassle.

I also suspect that I will see more Ohio dealers at shows in Michigan.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Another case of "we screwed up, now the citizenery of the state will have to pay".

Here's a novel idea, how about personal accountability from ALL involved parties including asset confiscation our dear governments like to use and leave the laws and taxes in the great state of Ohio as is.

Another stake in the hearts of Ohio coin dealers and collectors, God help us as we can surely see our politicians aren't!

Let em' eat coins, oh wait that was cake. image

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • Options
    Mindful of the clear bias, sensationalism, misrepresentations and half-truths presented in the Toledo Blade articles, no one in Ohio's Legislature seems to recognize that the "scandal" with the Ohio Workers Coin Fund and the existing tax exemption on coins and bullion are TWO SEPARATE THINGS!

Granted, a key figure in both issues is Tom Noe. But this is just partisan politics using the "scandal" to attack ALL coin dealers and collector-investors. As I stated before, there are some class act dealers and collectors in Ohio who did nothing wrong -- and now their own Legislature is going to annihilate an otherwise healthy in-state industry.

CAMEONUT: If you are attending a trade show in Ohio, then you would be subject to Ohio laws. Even if you are a MI dealer and sell a coin to a collector from NY, if the sale takes place while on Ohio soil, then you're required to collect any taxes due. Obviously, there are tons of ways to effectively avoid the tax -- but not legally. States immediately surrounding OH will benefit most.
    Todd L. Imhof
    Partner / Executive VP
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Deal !!
    I've been a dealer in NY for 26 years......We've always had a sales tax on coins, and it's 8 1/4% besides.......You think I pity an Ohio dealer that has to collect 5 1/2%......I doubt it. This isn't news.....

Paul
  • Options
    Sorry Beav. It IS a big deal for the dealers and collectors in Ohio. Notwithstanding the fact you just reminded every collector in NY why they should purchase coins over the internet rather than from their local dealer, how much more business could you be doing?

How much profit do you make selling $10,000 worth of gold Eagles to a local investor? 1% to 3% would be my guess. Do you think its fair that the State of NY makes 3x your profit? Do you think its fair that the investor now has to wait until gold spot increases nearly 10% before he's covered the taxation and is in a breakeven position?
    Todd L. Imhof
    Partner / Executive VP
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Sure Beav,

Ask the numerous coin shop owners in Fla who simply went out of business for similar reasons.

Or the rest who had to pay thru the nose just in order to stay in business here. How many were planning an exit because of it.

Yes, it is a big deal Beav.

Tom
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coin shops are already scarce to non-existent in Ohio despite the fact that we're in one of the most brisk times EVER with regrads to prices, profits and most of all--------interest in collecting coins. while the proposed tax, assuming it's approved, may not drive vast numbers of dealers out of the biz, it will drive out some and stop others from setting up shop. also, while Ohio collectors are very active in in coins, very well situated for clubs and really doesn't have a shortage of small to moderate sized shows, this won't help that either. a club i belong to is currently trying to gain sponsorship of the Central States Show five years down the road; i would think that the organizers might be dissuaded by a tax like this and give preference to another state, maybe not.

to be honest, i don't really see anything wrong with taxing coin sales. it only seems bad since there is currently no tax. the whole Fund Scandal is a bit absurd in the ways it's probably gonna affect the hobby. the last thing anything needs is political involvement and scrutiny. the fact that Ohio has lost so much of it's heavy industry and manufacturing base in the last 30-40 years doesn't allow much choice for legislators when it comes to raising money and it seems coins are on the hit list.

thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    to be honest, i don't really see anything wrong with taxing coin sales.

Al, despite my overall anti-tax stance, I generally agree with you, especially while wearing my collector hat. On the rare occasion that I don my investor cap, it makes no sense whatsoever to tax coins. Are coins more like stocks or baseball cards? --that is the question.
  • Options
    I just had to start paying sales tax to my landscaper in CT. Boy am I annoyed. image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are coins more like stocks or baseball cards? --that is the question.

baseball cards, easily.
  • Options
    <<Are coins more like stocks or baseball cards? --that is the question.>>

baseball cards, easily.

I 80% agree, 20% disagree. At any rate, the article in CW suggested that the proposed law change has little chance of passing--might be enough to scare the CSNS away from your state (and back to my state image ).
  • Options
    If you can justify taxes on coins or on anyone elses profession, don't ever snivel and whine about the taxes you pay in your profession.

After all, it's for the common good right comrade?

Tom
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    In California the sales tax on coins only applies to coins that sell for LESS than $1,000.

"Only little people pay taxes." Leona Helmsley

CG

• Options
    If you can justify taxes on coins or on anyone elses profession, don't ever snivel and whine about the taxes you pay in your profession.

No one hates taxes more than me...but coins are goods and a tax on goods is not the same as a tax on one's professional services IMO. And my profession is chock full of regulations and fees and insurance to the point of absurdity, such that it would make a sales tax on coins look like a proverbial "f@rt in a windstorm."

Don't get me wrong, I am not in favor of a tax on coins. As a collector, intellectually, it is hard to argue against it.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

So I can no longer sell my collection to my local Ohio dealer without collecting sales tax from him?

That would be weird, and I have no i-dee what forms I'd have to fill out.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I am not in favor of a tax on coins. As a collector, intellectually, it is hard to argue against it. >>

IN YOUR OPINION are the key words aren't they.

That's why we used to have a Constitution. As in law of the land. To prevent that from infringing on other peoples life, liberty blah blah blah and blah.

• Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Taxation without representation is tyranny.

On the other hand, taxation with representation sucks too.

CG
  • Options
    Given the choice between a raise in my income tax or applying sales tax to coins, both bringing the same revenue to the state, I would pick the tax on coins. I would prefer the government stop wasting my money, but that does not appear to be one of the choices. image

• Options

<< <i>Given the choice between a raise in my income tax or applying sales tax to coins, both bringing the same revenue to the state, I would pick the tax on coins. I would prefer the government stop wasting my money, but that does not appear to be one of the choices. image >>

Well first of all you don't have a choice. Guess what? They're going to do whatever THEY want.

And the need for higher and higher revenues is not going to stop or even slow down, in fact it's going to increase and accelerate. As such I started this thread the way I did because thats exactly what this is, an excuse to stick it to whoever they can stick it to.

While actually getting some folks you say "I'd rather", or "I can almost justify" or some other sort of lap doggy way of saying, ok, but please don't touch ME.

That's what we get when we allow ( ed) this all to start.

Tom
  • Options
    KUCHKUCH Posts: 1,186
    ok, here we goooo.... Your're blaming Bush for the economic state in Ohio? Give me a break. I blame everyone in Ohio on welfare, on food stamps, all those non-productive citizens who suck the money out of us hard working Americans. I blame the hard working Americans who sit by and do nothing when the government askes for more money. It's time to say no!" You will get no more of my money." Remember...... less government is key, stand up and speak out! image
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Another nucklehead move ... I live in Ohio. With coins being subjected to state/local sales tax, you now will be asked to also claim them -- voluntarily, of course -- on your income tax forms as "user taxes" if you purchase them over the Internet or mail order from out of state. Of course, the odds of being caught are nearly non-existent, but the states have reciprocity agreements in which they can ask sales tax vendors to turn over lists of customer from out of state and the amounts they purchased and then check if they declared them and paid them as "use" taxes in their state of residence. The day is coming when everything will be automatic, electronic and you will pay more taxes than ever ...
  • Options
    If this law passes I'll be on here asking for some good shows which would not be that far for me to drive from Cleveland.....

The Toledo Blade is a liberal paper going after a Republican because it is the only way they can make themselves feel better after Bush won reelection, winning Ohio, despite the left tossing everything they could against him.....

It is no question that Taft is a boob, but he is a super genenous compared to the retarted demorats that are running Cleveland into the ground faster the speed of light.....

• Options
    Well first of all you don't have a choice. Guess what? They're going to do whatever THEY want.

Well, then, let's overthrow the government...or at least move to Canada. They don't pay tax there, do they? Or buy an island somewhere in the South Pacific and live like Tom Hanks did in Cast Away. That way the government won't be able to get to us and our coins. Is that better? image
  • Options

<< <i>Well first of all you don't have a choice. Guess what? They're going to do whatever THEY want.

Well, then, let's overthrow the government...or at least move to Canada. They don't pay tax there, do they? Or buy an island somewhere in the South Pacific and live like Tom Hanks did in Cast Away. That way the government won't be able to get to us and our coins. Is that better? image >>

Nah, better off to hope someone else "gets" it.

• Options
    Nah, better off to hope someone else "gets" it.

Sorry, I am obviously not smart enough to get it. image

While actually getting some folks you say "I'd rather", or "I can almost justify" or some other sort of lap doggy way of saying, ok, but please don't touch ME.

Perhaps part of my "not getting it" is that this whole thread started as a pity party for coin dealers in Ohio as their self-interests would be affected (ie. "please don't touch me").

I will repeat: I am not for raising any taxes, I have voted against every tax increase that I have had the opportunity to vote against, and I have voted against every candidate with a pro-tax platform, including my own state rep who is proposing a special state income tax on individuals who earn more than $200,000 annually. If we have to be taxed, which in order to support roads, police, military, a lot of government workers who do nothing, and a lot of lazy citizens who have done nothing and continue to do nothing, I would rather see it done on the consumption side rather than the income side.

• Options
    If they are going to tax coins are they going to allow you to write off coins if you lose money on your purchases.....

It is not a pity parts for Ohio dealers, it is something that affects all of us on this page as more and more states get the idea that numismatic material is something else that can be taxed it will end up being in all states real quick.....

• Options
    All of this tax talk is making me sleepy. I am sure there will be a way for the lawyers to benefit from this, though. image
  • Options
    If you live in Ohio and want to help stop taxation on your coins please read the following and take some action, otherwise coins will become more expensive for you to collect/deal.

Thanks, Dave
    URGENT ALL OHIO DEALERS

ALL dealers MUST send letters to the leadership of the OH senate and house of representatives urging them to OPPOSE HB 275 -- repeal of the OH state sales tax on coins & bullion. YOU NEED TO SEND MESSAGES VIA FAX, PHONE CALL, OR EMAIL IMMEDIATELY.

OH dealers should emphasize that it’s consumers who will pay the tax, not dealers. Consumers will take their business out of state. The exemption brings business INTO Ohio and is revenue POSITIVE. Repeal will mean a loss of revenue for the state.

Non-Ohio dealers should emphasize that they will not attend shows in OH because of the sales tax. Sales tax exemptions are good for consumers, good for business, and good for state revenues.

THE BILL CONTAINING THIS REPEAL WILL GO TO VOTE EITHER TODAY OR TOMORROW – THIS IS URGENT THAT MANY, MANY DEALERS SEND COMMENTS. PLEASE SEND TO:

District37@ohr.state.oh.us

District01@ohr.state.oh.us

District80@ohr.state.oh.us

District27@ohr.state.oh.us

District16@ohr.state.oh.us

District73@ohr.state.oh.us

ALSO CONTACT YOUR SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVE DIRECTLY. YOU CAN FIND THESE BY GOING TO WWW.LEGISLATURE.STATE.OH.US.

We have also gone on the teletype asking OH and non-OH dealers to send messages. This Sales Tax Exemption is lost if you don’t take action. I have attached a sample letter you can use for talking points. Call me if you have questions. Eloise

Eloise A. Ullman, Executive Director

Industry Council for Tangible Assets (ICTA), Inc.

PO Box 1365, Severna Park, MD 21146-8365

Telephone: 410-626-7005 Fax: 410-626-7007

Web: www.ictaonline.org Email: Eloise.Ullman@ictaonline.org
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • Options
    Cameo CCCameo CC Posts: 663
    Hope all Ohio collectors will act.

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • Options
    First coins in OH. Now books in CA. What is this world coming to?????????????

California Appellate Court Affirms Borders Decision, Finding Nexus on Sales by Online Bookseller

A California appellate court recently held that an online bookseller with an in-state bricks-and-mortar retail affiliate had California nexus and was required to collect use tax on sales to California customers. Borders Online LLC v. State Board of Equalization, A105488 (Ct. of App. 1st Dist. May 31, 2005).

Background

The appellate court’s decision affirms a State Board of Equalization (SBE) ruling and subsequent trial court’s grant of summary judgment that the online bookseller was engaged in business in California based on the retail affiliate’s practice of accepting returns of merchandise purchased from the online seller. SC OHA 97-638364 56270 (Cal. St. Bd. of Eqal. 2001).

Under Cal. Rev. & Tax. Code § 6203, a retailer engaged in business in California is defined to include a retailer having a representative, agent, or similar person in the state for the purpose of selling tangible personal property. The SBE and trial court both found that the retail affiliate was acting as the online seller’s agent by accepting returns of online purchases, and that accepting purchase returns constituted selling—under Cal. Rev. & Tax. Code § 6203—because it was an integral part of the selling process.

While the decision turned in large part on the return policy, there were other relevant facts both favorable and unfavorable to the taxpayer. In addition to accepting returns of online purchases:

The retail affiliate’s sales receipts listed the online seller’s web address
    Retail sales associates referred customers to the Web site
    There were common officers, directors, and logos
    At the same time, other facts appeared to support the online seller’s contention that the retail affiliate’s actions were not sufficient to establish that it was doing business in California. For example, the retail affiliate accepted returns of merchandise without a receipt if it carried the product (i.e., this policy allowed customers to return products purchased from competitors to Borders). Furthermore, the retail affiliate did not send returned merchandise back to the online seller or charge for returns; it merely placed the returned merchandise into its own inventory.

Statutory Analysis – Engaged in Business

On appeal, the court found that the retail affiliate was an agent of the online seller. The appellate court rejected the seller’s argument that the following four-part test must be satisfied to establish an agency relationship:

Power to bind
    Agent acting as a fiduciary
    Control by parent
    Consent by agent
    The court explained that while such a test may be indicative of an agency relationship, it was not a bright-line test required to establish agency under California law.

Rather, the court found that the retail affiliate became the online seller’s agent through “ratification”—that its action of accepting returns ratified the online seller’s policy that the retailer accept such returns.

KPMG Observation

The court did not address the fact that the retail affiliate could accept returns of products purchased at other stores. The court’s interpretation allows a broad application of agency concepts in the sales and use tax context.

Moreover, the court agreed with the SBE’s interpretation that the term, “selling”—which is not statutorily defined—should include activities integral to the selling process.

The court concluded that, since the return policy made online sales more attractive to customers, it was integral to the selling process. While the court rejected the online seller’s attempt to shift the burden to the SBE to demonstrate that the return policy actually impacted sales, it did indicate that the online seller may have benefited by presenting evidence to the contrary.

Constitutional Analysis – Substantial Nexus

The court also held that imposition of use tax on the online seller did not violate the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution. The decision focused on whether the retail affiliate’s actions satisfied the Scripto/Tyler Pipe standard, under which an in-state actor may establish nexus for an out-of-state person if his actions are significantly associated with the taxpayer’s ability to establish and maintain a market in the state for sales of its products. Scripto v. Carson, 362 U.S. 207 (1960); Tyler Pipe Industries v. Dept. of Revenue, 483 U.S. 232 (1987).

The court rejected, as too narrow, the online seller’s interpretation of Scripto/Tyler Pipe as only having been satisfied if the retail affiliate actually made sales of the online seller’s products in the state. Instead, the court cited numerous decisions in which activities other than sales were found to establish nexus for an out-of-state entity. However, the court failed to acknowledge that most of these decisions involved a presence by the actual taxpayer, rather than an affiliate, agent, or some other attributional contact. The decisions cited by the court included:

Standard Pressed Steel Co. v. Washington, 419 U.S. 560 (1975) (employee consulting)
    Town Crier, Inc. v. Department of Revenue, 733 N.E.2d 780 (Ill. Ct. App. 2000) (installation and delivery in own vehicles)
    Dept. of Revenue v. Care Computer Systems, 4 P.3d 469 (Ariz. Ct. App. 2000) (employee in state to conduct training)
    The court failed to distinguish these decisions from the situation in which nexus is more tenuous because the in-state actions are conducted by a person other than the taxpayer. The court relied heavily on Orvis Co. v. Tax Tribunal, 86 N.Y.2d 165 (1995). While the court did not explicitly adopt the broad “demonstrably more than a slightest presence” nexus standard articulated in that decision, it did state that it believed the Orvis standard was more in keeping with the realities of 21st century marketing and technology.

The court then applied the Scripto/Tyler Pipe standard to the taxpayer, finding that the return acceptance policy was part of an effort to build (i.e., establish and maintain) a California market, and the fact that the online seller had $1.5 million of California sales during an 18-month period was evidence that the return policy was significantly associated with this effort.

The court did not point to any evidence correlating the sales revenue to the return policy. Rather, the court admonished the taxpayer for seeking to claim that merchandise returns were de minimis without providing any evidence to that effect, itself. The court distinguished SFA Folio Collections, Inc. v. Tracy, 652 N.E.2d 693 (Ohio 1995), which held that a mail order seller could not be required to collect use tax based on the in-state presence of a retail affiliate that accepted returns of remote sales. The court stated that the return policy at issue in SFA Folio was set by the retailer—rather than by the remote seller.

KPMG Observation

Such distinction seems somewhat arbitrary because, in the SFA Folio and Borders cases, the entities were commonly controlled.

KPMG Observation

While the Borders decision largely affirms the position previously taken by the SBE in both the underlying Borders ruling, and in BarnesandNoble.com OHB 97-732835 (Cal. St. Bd. Of Eqal. 2002), this position will be bolstered now that it has been upheld in a precedential appellate court decision.

Moreover, certain aspects of the court’s rationale could significantly affect the assertion of attributional nexus positions in California, specifically:

The court’s broad interpretation of agency principles
    Its adoption of the SBE’s broad interpretation of “selling” to include activities integral to the selling process
    Its apparent preference for the Orvis “demonstrably more than a slightest presence standard”
    At the same time, note that the taxpayer failed to provide much evidence in its defense, due largely to the fact that it did not track such activities as the number of actual online sales returned to California retail stores. The decision, thus, reinforces the importance of documentation in such matters.

• Options
    The fact is that government is out of control and has been out of control with spending, and then stealing our money with what appears to be zero resistance.

And so now they "have " to find more and more creative ways of ripping us off. What's really humorous is when people say "what a stupid law", or "they don't know what they're doing" when in my opinion, they know exactly what they are doing as you don't see them EVER losing power do you? Or am I wrong and does anyone actually see a return to a freer state of the country and I'm just missing it?

Rare Coins have a degree of privacy that every statist in government would LOVE to devise a way to track, monitor and tax. The business is one of if not the last bastion of free enterprise that exists in this country and one of the unspoken crimes thats going on here is the integration of the government in this great hobby/investment and now the alleged crimes that are attached to that integration that is absolutely giving the statists in Ohio the "excuse" to come up with a way to tax everyone ( steal ), under another guise of protecting the public.

I'm not missing it.

Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file