Home U.S. Coin Forum

How is the market for V nickels?

F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
I am thinking of doing this series next but I don't want to jump into it if prices are hyperinflated. I am thinking of getting them in EF or AU. Any tips advice? Are there a lot of varieties out there? Any help would be appreciated because it is a new series.
Beware of the flying monkeys!
Aerospace Structures Engineer

Comments

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that Liberty Nickel prices in XF/AU range have really soared in the past year, but nice problem free lib nickels especially in the mid 80's thru low 90's can be tuff to find nice and original., additionally, many are overgraded as well.

jim
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I think they're a great series and I don't think they're particularly overvalued. The keys are a bit pricey and I often see them in very low grades. Go after the keys first (1885, 1886, 1912-S) in the highest grade you can afford, most of the rest should be fairly easy and relatively inexpensive. Of course, be careful to avoid cleaned specimens. Too often you'll see that they've been abrasively cleaned. Post what you find!
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Well, I think a lot of the dates are nicely prices in gem. And there are some great proofs that aren't outrageous. I have one pr cameo that's almost dcam and was not out of my budget.
  • F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your suggestions. I too think it is a really nice series. The reason I don't want to go after the keys first, is that I want to become more familiarized with the series. Books are great but nothing beats personal experience. I first would like to learn how to filter out the problem coins. I can normally tell when coins are cleaned but there are those tricky ones. Any pics or help would be appreciated.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    Prethen
    Veteran

Tuesday April 19, 2005 6:34 PM (NEW!)

I think they're a great series and I don't think they're particularly overvalued. The keys are a bit pricey and I often see them in very low grades. Go after the keys first (1885, 1886, 1912-S) in the highest grade you can afford, most of the rest should be fairly easy and relatively inexpensive. Of course, be careful to avoid cleaned specimens. Too often you'll see that they've been abrasively cleaned. Post what you find!

__________________________________________________________________________________

nwcs
    Tennessee Pride

Tuesday April 19, 2005 9:42 PM (NEW!)

Well, I think a lot of the dates are nicely prices in gem. And there are some great proofs that aren't outrageous. I have one pr cameo that's almost dcam and was not out of my budget.

imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file