Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: what is the most expensive coin you own...

Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
If you want say what it is...

For me, it must be my 1884-CC morgan dollar, bought last weekimage

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Mine:

imageimage
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

How do you define "expensive"?

Are you implying: a) what we paid for it, b) what the PCGS price guide says it's worth, c) the current "real" market value of the coin or d) Bid/Ask

A little clarification, please image
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you define "expensive"?

Are you implying: a) what we paid for it, b) what the PCGS price guide says it's worth, c) the current "real" market value of the coin or d) Bid/Ask

A little clarification, please image >>

Definately answer Cimage

• Options
    $350 image But not for long image Most expensive coin in my collection is probally only about $175ish
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Me either the most expensive coins I have are semi key dates and I'm happy with that.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

About $6k -- but that might change soon. I'm hoping anyway image
  • Options
    paid $739 for a chain cent a few weeks ago-- by far and away the most i've ever paid for a coin. Don't regret it one iota
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Most expensive and most valuable are not the same thing. I own some moderately valuable coins, but the acquisition cost was relatively little.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>Most expensive and most valuable are not the same thing.................

Russ, NCNE >>

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355

<< <i>paid $739 for a chain cent a few weeks ago-- by far and away the most i've ever paid for a coin. Don't regret it one iota >>

That's one I most desire to obtain. Where did you find one at that price, and is it slabbed? Do you have a pic you could share?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224
    Hmmm ....

Acquisition cost ... 1885-CC Morgan PCGS MS61

Catalog vaule ... 1878-CC Morgan PCGS MS64

Steve
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Acquisition cost: $535 for 1926 $10 Eagle (Certified MS-63)

Book cost: $1000 for same coin. (Not that I think it is worth that) But still my highest.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭
    A 1914-D penny in Fine condition - unslabbed - given to me by my father when I ws 6 years old - worth more than the collective value of every coin I've ever owned - to coin a phrase - it's priceless.
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    an 1861 3CS in PCGS MS64 for a little over $300

• Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Similar to what newmismatist said. My dad gave me a 1909S VDB when I was just starting to collect at about 8 to 10 years old. He knew I needed it but had no idea of any value. It is probably in EF condition. It's the most valuable coin I have not necessarily the most expensive. My dad is gone but that coin will be here forever.
    Carl
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't know how much this would bring right now. I would hope for around 2500. Do you think thats too optomistic?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my most valuable piece, my 1792 half disme. But given the sharp increase in the value of many early coins, I've got a couple of others that are snipping it her heels. image

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

My 1795 PCGS 45 Flowing Hair Dollar with Silver Plug,is the best I can do.
    NUMO
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BillJones: Your half disme is snipping back very well at the other wannabes!image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭
    I own a 1799 Bust $1 in PCGS AU50 that I am rather proud of.

Much more than I have ever paid for a single coin.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a NGC AU50 1800 Bust Dollar from a Collectors Universe auction about 5 years ago. Stopped coming to this site after they quit the auctions. If I remember right, the auction didn't describe it as a 'dotted date' variety, which it was so I got a nice suprise. Its a nice attractive coin.

Anyway, looks like you folks have a lot of fun with these emoticons, so I wanted to try some out. LOL.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most I ever paid for one? AU 1815 half...as to current value?

Probably either the same one or 1794 in F to VF.

Jim
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    oops--- typo-- i bought the chain cent a few YEARS (almost three) ago not a few weeks ago. Even then, i wonder if i got the last identifiable chain cent to ever be sold for under a 4-digit figure
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current Tops: Mine would have to be the 1846-C $5 Half Eagle in NGC AU-55

Most $ paid: 1803/2 $5 Half Eagle; PCGS AU-55

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BillJones: Your half disme is snipping back very well at the other wannabes!image >>

You know, a funny thing, like the late Rodney Dangerfield, I don't get not respect from a few of the big dealers, but there are other big dealers who are constantly bugging me to consign my "wannabe coins" in their auctions. I guess they are not above selling coins that bring 5-figure bids in their auctions. image Sorry, but I can't help the 6-figure only guys though. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJones: that's nothing-- i got five of those 1792's from a dealer in Singapore!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Was the poll for coins you have purchased or do coins you have made qualify? Purchased $2200 then $3200 now... made - quite a bit more.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    To date, it is 93cc PCGS MS64.image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    that would be my 79 cc pcgs 64PL
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    My 1995-W Silver Eagle PCGS MS69...Was 2058.00, now over 3500.00. image
  • Options
    The most expensive coin I own is a 1921-D VAM-1AT "Jet O" Morgan dollar. There are only three known. I only own it for about five more days. Here are some pictures. imageimageimage Can I do that?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file