Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did NOT Get ripped off on this auction

He sent me a different coin than the one pictured. It had a big ugly scratch across Kennedy's head and it turned out to be a type-1. When questioned he said his wife sent the wrong coin or something like that. Think I said I'd keep the coin to remind myself not to buy from him again.
-------------------------------------------------DISREGARD THIS CRAP - I'M WRONG----------------------

Powerseller on eBay
image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
My EBay Store/Auctions

Comments

• Options
    Honest mistake maybe? I'd return the coin for a replacement (correct coin) or a refund. No one is perfect.

Of course, I've NEVER made a mistake in any of my ebay auctions! image

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Even for a low dollar amount I would do the return. The scratch and the wrong attribution.... Later that will just be a piece of junk you need to clear out of your collection.

I bought an Ike identified as struck through cloth. The auction had poor pictures. Paid about $10 plus $.485 for Priority Mail Shipping.

It arrived in a bubble mailer with $.60 First Class postage. The struck through cloth was a clear glue type substance on the coin with a cloth pattern pressed into it.

I contacted the seller, noted the coin was not as described, noted the shipping was not as described, and asked for a refund to include shipping and $.60 for return shipping. They concurred and the coin is on the way back now. The seller didn't really sell coins at all, so I suspect it was an honest (but uninformed) mistake. Provided I get the complete refund I will leave positive feedback to the effect of No hassel refund when item not as described.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Coulda been an honest mistake, but I've had it with those kinda honest mistakes. I've bought several of them and have yet to see an actual type-2. It's beginning to piss me off! So, if I never do business with them again, then I may go on to find an honest dealer who I can trust more than this "honest" powerseller...or I could get gutted again, lol.
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    Do you want a type 2? I have a dozen still in the sets. I have some sets with all type 2 some with just a few of the coins, all sorts really.
  • Options
    dorkbardorkbar Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    Says right in the auction you may not receive the actual coin in the photo.
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭

<< <i>Says right in the auction you may not receive the actual coin in the photo. >>

It also says that you're bidding on a Type 2, and he received a Type 1.
    "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
    "Exactly."

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Says right in the auction you may not receive the actual coin in the photo.

I have no problem with that, but then it is not fair to send a coin with a big scratch across the head. I would return it. I would also recommend making your purchase sight-seen.
  • Options
    I've tried buying them locally, but they're selling type-1's in place of type-2's. Even the biggest, most trusted dealer in Louisville, Kentucky does not have a genuine one.

The coin in question:

My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    I don't understand...why not return the coin if the seller is willing to make it right. Perhaps an honest mistake was made. Perhaps he's not as well informed as you. You can return the coin for refund and still not do business with him again. No need to make a martyr of yourself.
  • Options
    I don't mean to be a martyr here. I am just being very spiteful. What's wrong with that - it's the American way for crying out loud! image
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>I don't mean to be a martyr here. I am just being very spiteful. What's wrong with that - it's the American way for crying out loud! image >>

OK image
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    Get your money back........It's bad enough we spend all this money renting coins we want to have.....no need to waste it on something you don't want.......
  • Options
    I've delt with them and they are OK. You should let them make good
    and put the hard feelings aside.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Seller sends the wrong coin

2. Buyer informs seller of the error

3. Seller want to make the deal right, owns up to his mistake

4. Buyer opts to trash seller instead

5. Buyer is being nothing short of a hard-on

People make mistakes, facrissake! Are you so damned perfect? Why are you wasting people's time with this crap? If I had a nickel for every mistake I made I'd be able to put a pretty nice classic commem set together.

Get a life you nimrod.
  • Options
    Looks like he took the dremel to it.
    Coins, shiny coins!
  • Options
    Yeah, Dremel or Black-N-Decker! lol

I just get so dam tired of dealing with these "mistakes" that I wonder just how many of them are really honest mistakes and how many are con attempts. I'll unblock the dudes from my eBay list if not send the lame coin back for refund. Thanks for putting up with my temper tantrum.
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Murphy
    Have you thought some people here just put YOU on there blocked bidder listimage
    Al
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Murphy, this seller is Tim Puro of Vermont Coins. He is one of the more honest people I know in the coin business. He will fix his mistakes, but you have to give him a chance.
  • Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    Hello. I am Tim Puro and I am the person who sold this coin.

My wife just started working with me and she is just learning about the coin biz. We have been working incredibly hard so that she can quit her 9 to 5 job and work with me full time. We accidentally sent out two other Type 1 coins, and we made good on all of them.

Listed below is a copy of an email I received from Mr. Murphy:

"You got me azz hole! You slipped me a Type-1 in place of the Type-2 advertised in the auction. The only reason I'm keeping it is to put in my collection as a really good Type-1 S MM. I will never buy anything from you again. Expect no Feedback at all from me, I expect none from you."

I immediately responded with the following email:

" I am definitely not an "azz hole". My wife accidentally sent out a couple of T1 instead of T2. It was an honest mistake. I can either refund you $10, or you can send the coin back for a refund or a new coin (I'll pay for the return shipping). Let me know what you prefer."

I never heard back from Mr. Murphy and had planned on contacting him today.

I am not going to pretend that I am absolutely perfect. Mistakes happen occasionally and I always do the best I can to remedy them. Unfortunately, Mr. Murphy would not allow me to make good. Instead he decided to air his problems in a public forum and attempt to harm my reputation.

He mentioned in his email to me that the coin was "a really good Type-1 S MM", and now he is mentioning the coin is scratched. I wonder what is actually true?

Not all sellers are trying to put a con job across on people. I hope people on this list can read through the lines to see what actually happened here.

If anyone who reads this would like to PM me with any questions, please do so. Or call me at (800)655-1327.
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options

<< <i>Not all sellers are trying to put a con job across on people >>

Especially on such a trivial coin. Looks like my post hit the nail right on the head.

I, too, have purchased from Tim and have never had a problem.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    Good post. Looks like Murphy got owned.
  • Options
    TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    Welcome Tim.

TBT
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a damn sad thread for the seller. Some so-called collectors that come on this forumn need to dig their head out of their azz. All of this junk over 20 bucks at the most. Just total junk !
  • Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    I feel bad that he did not receive the correct coin. He should have and I goofed. I just wish I could have had the opportunity to fix my mistake and not have my reputation dragged though the mud.
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options
    One of my best eBay coin purchases was from VT Coins. It was an 1878-S PCGS65 olive-toned v19. If I ever thin out the collection, this coin will be one of the keepers!
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Beware of the Villagers image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum Tim (VTCoins) guy!! As you can tell we have an interesting forum with all types...not just coins!!

From my limited experience here, this place is like family!! At least here you don't have to put up with them or worse yet...go home to them!!

One good thing about this "family" is that we take coins seriously...and in doing so we normally learn stuff and have some fun too.

Anyway, welcome aboard to both you and your wife and I look forward to your inputs here at the forum!! image

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim - Isn't selling on eBay fun sometimes?

Take care,
    Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Don't feel bad Tim - you have tried to make things right - and stood up for your actions. If he doesn't contact you - just chalk it off. I don't think it's worth worrying about anymore. It was HIS choice to keep the coin.

• Options
    BigE2BigE2 Posts: 1,037
    For what it's worth to you. I know this dealer personally and know him to be fair and honest. I have no doubt a mistake was made and he will make good on it. Please don't rush to judgement. Not everyone on ebay is out to screw you. If you think that, please never bid on any of seller ZephSezSell auctions.
  • Options

<< <i>I feel bad that he did not receive the correct coin. He should have and I goofed. I just wish I could have had the opportunity to fix my mistake and not have my reputation dragged though the mud. >>

I don't know Tim, but after seeing what he wrote you when he received the coin, I think you come out of this smelling like a rose. I suspect Murphy just got added to a lot of blocked bidder lists.
  • Options
    Methinks Mr. Murphy is presently MIA...image
  • Options
    Methinks smoebody may have stuck they're foot in it.

You never know what type you're dealing with on ebay.Buyer or seller.I've scrood up a couple of times and just sent an extra coin to them to try to make it right.
  • Options

<< <i>Methinks Mr. Murphy is presently MIA...image >>

I think he figured he was going to smear Tim and not tell the whole story. I knew Tim was registered here, and emailed him as soon as I saw the thread so he could fill us in on his side of the story, including the nasty email Murphy sent him. Even after being called an "azz hole" Tim offered to make it right. You can't ask for much more than that from a seller.
  • Options
    Mr. Murphy,

I don't know you or Tim, but after reading both thread, the latter sounds like he tried to make things right with you. Be a stand up guy and apologize for for calling him names and the ugly e-mail.

There is already too much dislike and hatred in the world today. We don't need more. -- Seems obvious to a disinterested party (namely me) that Tim made an honest mistake.

But then, it's just my humble opinion.

Best of luck to you both.
    KenoshaPete
  • Options
    Nows your chance to refund his 10 bucks AND let him keep the coin and I think you will have bought a lot of good PR for 10 bucks.

Mr. Murphy will have a long time washing the egg off his face.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Tim, so it doesn't get lost, try posting a link to your ebay sales in your signature and if you have any early dimes, hard times tokens or other neat stuff I'll bid on them.

Rgrds
    Tom
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Methinks Mr. Murphy is presently MIA... >>
  • Options
    I've made some boo-boo's on ebay myself. I remember making a listing mistake and Russ PM'ing me so that I could make the correction.

I also sent the wrong coin to two different buyers once. I just got them switched around while packaging. The one buyer called me on the phone and I quickly contacted the other buyer and got the problem resolved. I paid them each to send the right coin to each other and sent each one a five dollar bill for their troubles. They gave me great feedback!
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Ken, you "azz hole".image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Sorry, I take it back, the smiley, that is.

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Murphy: You're a tool.

Helpful information for the thread, if needed:
    eBay ID: murphyaln
    Link to eBay Blocked Bidder List
    The rest is up to you...
  • Options

<< <i>Ken, you "azz hole".image >>

My wife has been known to say the same thing, along with numerous other people. But I've got broad shoulders!image

VTCoins, I believe I've bought from before also!image

• Options
    I shared this post with others and we are LOL - can't believe this Murphy guy is crying about a $15 purchase and the seller still actually would even BOTHER to write about this. Tim already posted he'd make good, and my GOD!!! Your CAR will burn $15 of gas on a 2 hour trip!!! If I was a dealer I would block this Murphy guy for life. Typical bottom-of-the-barrel customer that gives you all the headaches. LOOOOOOOOOOZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAR!
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    Hey Tim,

You are most likely sitting by the phone eagerly awaiting an apologetic call from Mr. Murphy...image

SO...if the phone don't ring, you'll know it's him...image

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>I can't believe this Murphy guy is crying about a $15 purchase >>

Oh no, here we go with the gross exaggerations again - Lloydmincy, the coin was $14.99, not $15.00, for crying out loudimage

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link to eBay Blocked Bidder List

Useful. Thank you.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it when we get to hear the "other side" of the story. image
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭
    Oh no, here we go with the gross exaggerations again - Lloydmincy, the coin was $14.99, not $15.00, for crying out loud

$14.49 and what about shipping? image

Joe. image
  • Options
    Some of you might remember the thread I started a few months ago about Mr G. Carion. I won an auction for his 1981-S type-2 Lincoln Cent. I received a 1981-S type-1 cent. I contacted him and he never answered my emails, he had me blocked! so I gave him negative feedback and posted something about it here. After getting some good advice from you all, I got his phone number through eBay and called him. It seems his Spam-Blocker had my email address banned and he never got my email. Anyway, we agreed that I'd drop the negative feedback and he'd send me the correct coin. I sat waiting for it. What I received was a 1991-S proof cent, not a 1981-S type-2 proof cent. After that, the details get a little fuzzy, but we went through one or two more tries before I got the right coin. It wasn't worth the hassle given the quality of coin that I received.

I went to my regular dealer in Louisville who said he had a type-2 Kennedy. I looked at it and it was a type-1. Of course he wouldn't admit it was a type-1, but it was. I didn't buy it, I just made a mental note not to lookm for type-2 coins here again.

I went to a flea market and met an older dealer who won me over completely by what he knew about Ike's. Said he'd written books about them and was definitely an authority. He had 3 rolls of 1972 type-2 Ikes that he'd been picking up since 1980. He had a partner there in his booth at the flea market who had a 1979-S type-2 Kennedy for sale. I had my loupe and checked it. It was a type-1. Of course he wouldn't admit it was a type-1, but it was. I didn't buy it, I just made a mental note not to lookm for type-2 coins here again.

I went to the biggest and most reputable coin dealer in Louisville, Kentucky - just across the river from me - and inquired about a 1979-S proof Kennedy type-2. The sales person showed me a type-1. Of course he wouldn't admit it was a type-1, but it was. I didn't buy it, I just made a mental note not to lookm for type-2 coins here again.

Aw man, I'm beginning to think the whole world is out to con me! I know how to tell a type-1 from a type-2 because I learned it right here!

Then I said to myself, where the heck am I going to get a real type-2 Kennedy or SBA now? Maybe eBay! So I bid on Tim's coin because he
    seemed like a reputable dealer and I won. The rest is history. If you guys want to run me down for throwing a temper tantrum, fine. But remember this: If people can make mistakes, then they can lose their temper once in a while too. I've had a bad day here, so if you wanna put me on your banned bidder list great. I probably never woulda crossed your path anyway.

I understand my problems should not become your problems, so if I have offended anyone here and I know I have, I apologize to you and hope you forget this.

My EBay Store/Auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file