Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone know the value of a 1963 steel? penny...

Hi, my daughter found a 1963 penny which appears to be steel or silver. We're not really coin collectors and were wondering about its value. There's no mint mark below the date. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much.

Comments

• Options
    why all italices? The cent is probably plated. Not worth much. Sorry.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    welcome newby!

its probably plated....on rare occasion they were struck on a dime planchet...(very rare...and valueable!)
  • Options
    Can you put a pic up?
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207

• Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Wayne
  • Options
    Welcome! Steel is magnetic.image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Regarding your penny, It's possible that it wasn't copper plated before striking, as it was supposed to be. Since 1982, the cent core is zinc, you know, which is a "steel" color. A picture would really help.

Edited: whoops! I didn't read your message closely enough; you say it's a 1963; so disregard my comments.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may have been plated with something such as mercury. It was apparently a common school science project back then.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Hope this scanned photo goes through... we checked and the penny is not magnetic nor is it the same size as a dime, so I guess that it's just one that never received its coating.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Here ya go:

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a cent "cleaned" with mercury? It's been a long time since I have seen one . . .

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Could be... never knew that mercury was used in that manner. Do you know why this was done? Just curious...
  • Options

<< <i>It may have been plated with something such as mercury. It was apparently a common school science project back then. >>

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a post mint alteration. The mint didn't start releasing copper plated zinc cents to circulation until 1982. The mercury dipping was a common science experiment, though we didn't do that when I was growing up. But I think my brother did.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, the coin appears to be nickel plated. It's a common experiment in freshman chemistry classes around the country.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    In my junior year chemistry class in high school we heated a copper penny in a solution of powdered zinc and concentrated sodium hydroxide. The results was a silver/steel colored penny. We would then heat the penny in a strong flame and it would turn brassy in color and look like gold. Chances are, it's a penny plated in zinc or some other dirt cheap metal like tin. If it is a mercury dipped penny, then I would strongly advise against touching it too much as mercury is a nasty little element. If you heat the penny and you see little drips starting to come off of it, then it was mercury dipped.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options

I have a 1963 penny that’s silver in color and shiny. Is it more than likely the result of a science project? Also would the weight of the coin say anything about what it’s made of? It looks like copper may be underneath from the way a small spot on the rim looks but I can’t be for certain . Can anyone tell me anything about this coin? I would appreciate it
    Thank you, Nancy

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nancy said:
    I have a 1963 penny that’s silver in color and shiny. Is it more than likely the result of a science project? Also would the weight of the coin say anything about what it’s made of? It looks like copper may be underneath from the way a small spot on the rim looks but I can’t be for certain . Can anyone tell me anything about this coin? I would appreciate it
    Thank you, Nancy

Hello.

You should ideally start a new thread rather than resurrect a 16 year old one. But in any case it shows you were trying to do your research.

Your coin is almost certainly plated but pictures and weight would help confirm.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nancy...Welcome aboard. Your cent is likely plated with mercury, or other element - even silver plating. Pictures would be good... but also weigh the coin and let us know. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need pictures

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plated most likely. Weight would still be within tolerance so that wouldn't help. Pictures would.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Anyone know the value of a 1963 steel penny? It is steel as it is able to be picked up with a magnet.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2023 6:14PM

@Jdavis1102 said:
    Anyone know the value of a 1963 steel penny? It is steel as it is able to be picked up with a magnet.

Unfortunately you do not have a steel cent. As was the case with all the previous coins in this thread, your coin has been plated, coins with a nickel plating will react to a magnet.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made those with the mercury from a Nu-Grape thermometer.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jdavis1102 said:

• Options
    MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 320 ✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    Is that a cent "cleaned" with mercury? It's been a long time since I have seen one . . .

Lane

That’s what I thought.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it look like this?
    Could be worth millions….!!!

Who cares about the details - never let those “pesky facts” get in the way of a good story, my friend!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file