Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would make you "LOAD THE BOAT" with gold?...poll

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lotsa talk with gold just sorta meandering on a upward path without much fanfare.

What would it take for you to get "gold fever?"

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm... if I could afford to "LOAD THE BOAT" with gold? That would have to be the first criterion. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Aw, c'mon milord. I'm talkin .....SELL THE COIN COLLECTION.....motivation.

• Options
    Hmm. Good question. Dunno.

(Actually, I already sold the coin collection- the only thing I have left are holeys and dealer stock!) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Poor Marco. Nuttin left but .......dealer stock. I think Laura was whining about dat too.
    Q. Dave back a few years too.

awwwwwwwwwww.

• Options
    Somethin' tells me that LordM dealer stock and Laura dealer stock are a wee bit different... sorta like convenience store chili dog versus five-star-restaurant chateaubriand... image

• Options
    I might load the boat with gold if I was one of the first investors to learn about a brand new industrial use for gold.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    What would it take for you to get "gold fever?"

I'd like to think I'm immune image.

Investing on emotion is a good way to make a small fortune..........from a large one. Same thing as thinking one investment is good and another bad.

I'd be interested in buying gold if it were rallying off its 200 dma and at the bottom of its trading range. Likewise if the US dollar was declining off the high in its trading range. I would never load the boat because there are too many other investments that are meandering higher also. I prefer to take Risks that the market rewards with potential returns.
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    A tribe of canibals was not a choice.
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone giving me free gold image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    When I was on deployment to the Persian Gulf in 1999, gold hit a low of around $252.00 an oz. I did pick up a nice gold bangle and bracelett at the gold suk in Dubai, but really not much. I wish I had bought much more.

Dennis

(If any of you ever get to Dubai in the United Arab Emerites, be sure and visit the gold suk. It is mind boggling. I've never seen so much gold in one place in all my life.)
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Last call for votes.
  • Options

When my ship comes in.image
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I voted other because of several things:

1. If I could predict the market, I would be buying million dollar coins
    2. If I had the resources to buy lots and lots of gold, I'd have million dollar coins
    3. I don't go into bullion for the most part, I prefer the numismatic gold

And that reminds me, when gold goes back down a bit I'm hoping to get a few gold coins again.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted with the plurality here... If gold fell below $350, I'd add to my position.
    (I've got maybe a dozen or 15 ounces, last bought at gold=$335)

Nothing at all could make me sell other "stuff" just to buy lots of bullion, though.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    The poll .....seems..... to indicate potential BUYERS who are hoping for a retracement of prices in order to do what they did NOT do back when it WAS at that price.

That seems to say that there are more positives than negatives ..... and a capacity to "learn" will bring support in as dips occur in a rising market.

After all, gold has made its purchasers immune to the 40% loss we have ALL had in whatever we have in .... "dollars."

That's hard to imagine, but it's true. If you had just started stacking Euros (or gold) when they were 80 and got ...NO... interest, you would have been better off than with dollars in 5% US bonds now that the Euro is 130.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were twenty years younger and everything were to go to hell, I'd buy gold, but
    never more than 30 or 40% of assets. Now the only way would be actual inflation
    crossing 5% and increasing. Still though, I'd buy very little gold and would limit sil-
    ver purchases to about 10%.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    If I knew it were going to sink and my mother in law was in the boat......and a couple cinder blocks too
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    a lobotomy
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    If:
    1. The government was spending half a trillion more then they were taking in
    2. All this extra spending ended up in China as we spend half a trillion more then we sell to foreigners
    3. The government keeps printing press on to keep up with the ever increasing shortfall.
    (ie, print government IOUs ( called Federal Reserve notes or Treasury Bonds)

4. And China started using the extra to IOUs to buy part of IBM, Unocal, and the largest Goldmines they could find. (Long Term Value)
    5. And what do I get from it, Cheap DVDs and Happy Meal toys Free. (Short term pleasures)

Time to give up holding the IOUs and buy GOLD or SILVER.
    (But I'm not selling my Non-CC GSA s yet)
  • Options
    at about $ 325 per ounce
    Home of quality widgets
  • Options

<< <i>a lobotomy
    >>

• Options
    It'd have to DIP in order for me to load my SHIP.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    REAL inflation is 5% or higher. It's only the massaged and reported CPI that is not yet there. Many other nations have inflation rates well into the 5-15% range.

IwantnonCC's: I like your list...all of which is already upon us.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    WWIII
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Gold just doesn't do it for me.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other ... when I can't find a post about how I should buy gold for at least a month or two, then I would think it might be time to consider it

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a situation ever arose when gold was that desireable then there would be other asset classes in which could make much more money.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file