Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2005 ANA Possibly Moving Cities?!

nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭✭
I did a quick search before posting, and could not find that this has been discussed yet. I noticed front page Coin World says that the ANA may have to move the 2005 convention to another city (there is apparently a grand prix race coming to town the same weekend....concern is over lack of hotel space). Wow - what a mess! And many dealers have already bought tables for the pre-show.

chris

Comments

• Options
    This could be a problem!

Maybe Baltimore has an opening!!!image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    You're not talking about San Jose, are you? There's no significant auto race track within 60 miles of San Jose (that's Laguna Seca, and the former Sears Point is 100 miles away).

I lived in San Jose all my life until May of 2003; as soon as I leave the ANA decides to hold a convention there. Thanks, guys! But fortunately, since I have a lot of family there, that may be an excuse to kill two birds with one stone and visit family while also knocking out an ANA show. image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The way I read the article, they are going to move it. The race will seriously affect the ability of people to get to the show site. I think they'll try pretty hard to keep it in the same part of the country, though.

The race will be held on the city streets, not a track.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    It better be in CA!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they move it closer to LA. It is ideal to have baseball as part of the trip and the Dodgers are home that week. (that and I am a Dodger fan)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe California will fall off the Continental shelf into the Pacific?

Rooting for east coast again too!

We are baaaaack!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe California will fall off the Continental shelf into the Pacific?

Rooting for east coast again too!

We are baaaaack! >>

I agree! East coast gets bigger crowds!image
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    Saw that. I bought four tickets to San Jose about a week ago!

Ken, Baltimore would be unlikely as the Baltimore summer show is just a week or two after the ANA.

It does sound like they're trying to keep it on the west coast. I assumed convention space would be a problem this late but apparently the problem is with hotel availability.

WH
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Well, in that it can't be determined if it should be on the west coast or east coast, I declare it a comprimise should be made. Chicago it is. There isn't a BIG show in the Chicago area. The Mid-America show is ok, but not as big as any other.

For the record as I understand car racing, "Grand Prix" is raced on the streets, not on a track.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The show should be in Austin. Good music and nightlife, and it's convenient to everybody.

Well, everybody that matters, anyhow. image

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The race in San Jose is a road race around downtown, I thought the ANA show was in Santa Clara. While Santa Clara is the next city north of San Jose, therefore wouldn't interfere with the show, it would make hotels and such more difficult.

That is a major bummer.

I was looking forward to getting to go to the ANA and had planned on halting all coin purchases until then just to have as much expendable cash as possible. It if moves, I guess I'll put my dollars elsewhere.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nooooo! hopefully it doesn't move too far away. That was about my only hope of getting to a show in the near future because it was only a 6 hour drive away for me. Maybe if i'm lucky it will move to PDX.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭
    Chicago? I could go for that. image

Baltimore? Wouldn't have to twist my arm.....

Dallas? Free room and board!! image

• Options
    I was disappointed to learn the ANA might move. It will be cool to have a Grand Prix type race around the downtown SJ streets. It would also be cool to have the ANA show at the same time. I guess it might be hard to get around while those cars are zooming around. This is about as much excitement as San Jose ever gets. image It is normally pretty dull for a large city. Most people are very surprised to learn San Jose is bigger than San Francisco.
  • Options

<< <i>The show should be in Austin. Good music and nightlife, and it's convenient to everybody.

Well, everybody that matters, anyhow. image >>

I concur. image

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    They're going to have to move out of the Convention Center. Looking at the San Jose Grand Prix track map, and it looks like the convention center is right in the middle of the course.

Perhaps the Santa Clara convention center is available? At least then people who have already made travel plans wouldn't be hosed.

Anyways, y'all can always do it over at my house. I'll even move my cars out of the garage to give ya more space to set up.
  • Options
    Aw, that is no problem. It looks like a great race, thanks for the map! It would be easy to get to the convention center by public transit. Parking would be a problem though... I sure hope the ANA goes ahead and has the show around here. I was planning on having a BBQ for those out of town coin collectors who showed up. Perhaps flaminio and I can put something together? image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it has to be in California, the Anaheim Convention Cention would be a reasonable selection. If Northern Cal wants it, I am not sure what location makes the most sense.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Frist I have heard of this BAD planning on someones behalf. I have heard a rumor ( from a good source ) that 2008 will be back in the east coast and lower then Baltimore.
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    Hey, what's the big deal? So what if there are a hundred thousand car racing fans in the streets, we can still have a coin show. It sure would make lunch break more interesting!

San Jose already has close to 900 thousand residents so we can handle more visitors!
  • Options
    if they move it I bet they have it at Long beach.

just a hunch
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    What say the show be moved to

the Lost City of Atlantis????
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Frist I have heard of this BAD planning on someones behalf. I have heard a rumor ( from a good source ) that 2008 will be back in the east coast and lower then Baltimore. >>

Not really bad planning - the San Jose city council just voted to host the race.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    If they just voted to have the race then there was BAD planning because someone did not get all the facts to them on what was going on that weekend. But then again what pays more a large coin show or a major race, I would guess that the race would win hands down in dollars to the city's coffers.
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think The ANA should sue the City of San Jose for their stupidty. I would think an event like this (the grad prix) has to be planned 2 years in advance to avoid not conflicting with other events.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Sacramento would be nice and a couple hours closer for me.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One must look at the whole picture...what about the pre ana show as well...what about people who have made plans...air etc...
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I sent a link to Brenda Bishop. Perhaps she will respond, either directly or to the board.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were up to me, I would move the show to San Francisco - that way, dealers and collectors who have already purchased plane tickets would be able to use the tickets that they already have. Furthermore, SF would be a better venue anyway.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    Word has it that there isn't a venue in San Francisco that is affordable or suited for a show that size...That's been the typical comment regarding having a large show in San Fran...
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think The ANA should sue the City of San Jose for their stupidty. I would think an event like this (the grad prix) has to be planned 2 years in advance to avoid not conflicting with other events. >>

As a former San Jose resident, I'd like to sue them for stupidity if I still lived there. I would have been an easy 20-minute light rail ride from my house to the doorstep of the Convention Center.

The good news is that I have relatives all over the Bay Area still, and I could probably bum a bedroom and hop on BART to get there.
  • Options
    Well, I am wrong. San Francisco is supposedly the new place...
    So, no change really...except better food image
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Ok.. the race is going to be on Sunday. SUNDAY! Most of the dealers will be gone by then and those that are still there will probably leave early. Who cares about Sunday?? I have reservations at one of the Convention Center hotels and flight reservations. If they move the show I will probably not go. Also, the ANA should hold more shows on or near the West coast. There seems to be a disproportionate number of ANA shows held elsewhere in the U.S. I say keep the show where it scheduled to be at! I don't see where the auto race on Sunday will affect the show one little bit.
    Matt
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Brenda replied to me late last nite:

Julian,
    We have an official response to what has taken us about ten days to nail
    down. That is.....an alternate location to San Jose.
    Same dates, July 27-31, 2005.
    A notice is ready to go out first thing in the morning announcing San
    Francisco as our new location. Moscone West. An information line has been
    set up as well for ongoing updates as we contract hotels and provide for
    more information through December. 719-482-9871. We'll also keep our web
    site updated as is possible and practical. www.money.org; click
    "conventions".
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    Brenda
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file