Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$10 Indian 1907 - 1933

The indian with the beautiful head dress on this coin - is it a man or a woman?

Comments

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    could go either way.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Liberty has always been depicted as a woman. In my mind there has never been any doubt on whether that particular rendition was of a man or a woman - now Barber coinage - I'll be honest, I never realized that it was a woman until I got back into serious collecting!
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    The face of the coin is from a statue called Liberty of all things. Liberty is always a woman. It is a very controversial design both the obverse and reverse and there are some nice stories about it if you dig a little further. It has been called the most beautiful US coin but there are others that would take issue with that. ANA uses it as its cover coin and many people use it to introduce beautiful US coin designs. They are more addictive than Morgans so step easy into the pond.

Mike
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a woman. The original design was to based upon a bare-headed statue of Nike that St. Gaudens had done in the past. Theodore Roosevelt had a thing for Indian headdresses, however, and asked St. Gaudens to add the fethers to the design.

There were also a headdress on the early sketches of the standing liberty that appeared on St. Gaudens' $20 gold piece. She also had wings. Those features were eliminated before the coins reached the pattern stage.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    I take issue only because it portrays a very Anglo woman as a native-American. Also a woman would NEVER wear a chieftain's headdress. I am so conservative politically, but I am very sympathetic to the destruction of the native American culture and people.
  • Options
    One of our board members has one of the finest sets assembled and they can be viewed at:
    http://www.pcgs.com/new_set_registry/display_coins.chtml?regsetid=14379&rank=1&alltime=yes
  • Options
    The real baffler is the Barber Head...now that's ANDROGENY!!!image
  • Options
    Correct billjones, my error and I should have known. I remember seeing the statue in st gaudens studio in that book Encyclopedia of US Gold Coins...what was the coin that featured the statue "liberty"? Was it the Morgan?
  • Options
    That's funny, I always thought it was a guy. image

• Options
    CW...you have to lift the dress. image
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    I thought it was a young male warrior also. Because of the headress I guess. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    Just for fun, if you don't mind a little indulgence

From:A Handbook of 20th Century United States Gold Coins 1907-1933 Akers

Obverse:
    Head of Liberty facing left wearing a full feathered Indian headdress. Thirteen small stars are above the head near the rim from 10:00 to 2:00. The date is directly beneath the truncation of the neck LIBERTY is on the headband.

Reverse: A majestic eagle facing left perched on a bundle of arrows with olive branch. The legend UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is above the eagle near the rim while the motto E PLURIBUS UNUM is in three lines just abvove the eagles back. The denomination TEN DOLLARS is directly below the eagle. From late 1908 until 1933, the motto IN GOD WE TRUST appears in the left reverse field near the eagle's breast. The mintmark, if any, is located to the left and slightly below the end of the arrows except for the 1908 D No Motto on which the D is above and to the left of the olive branch.

From the red book:

Augustus Saint-Gaudens, considered by many the greatest of modern sculptors, introduced a new high standard of art in United States coins evidenced by his eagle and double eagle types of 1907. The obverse of the eagle shows the head of Liberty crowned with an Indian war bonnet while an impressively majestic eagle demonates the reverse side. A departure from older standards is found on the edge of the piece, where 46 raised stars are arranged signifying the states of the Union, instead of a lettered or reeded edge (48 stars 1912 and later).
    The first of these coins struck had no motto IN GOD WE TRUST as did the later issues starting in 1908. President Theodore Roosevelt personally objected to the use of the Diety's name on coins. The motto was restored to the coins by an Act of Congress in 1908.
  • Options
    What the heck...go for it!
  • Options
    Statue of Diana was the model for the $10 Indian. I would thin Diana would be a woman so there you go...and just for fun here's some more stuff.

Ah! Found it. Page 319 of United States Gold Coins An Illustrated History, page 319.

View of one side of the Little Studio on the grounds of Saint-Gaudens' estate, "Aspet," in Cornish, New Hampshire. In the corner is the artist's desk and part of his reference library. Slightly to the right of center is a study comprising three figures in plaster intended for use in the Boston Public Library. Unfinished at the artist's death in 1907, the final figures used with the library structure were completed by Bela Lyon Pratt, who is remembered by numismatists as the designer of the 1908 $2 1/2 and $5 gold coinage. At the right is a cast of the figure "Diana" done in the early 1890's for use atop the Madison Square Garden designed by his friend, architect Stanford White.
  • Options
    jpkinlajpkinla Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a question that could have stumped the Jeopardy king. I actually like the Indian on the $5 series better as he looks tougher. The princess is cute but I prefer the Olsen twins. Did you hear than Cameron?

My $10 Indian Gold Registry Set
  • Options
    SG: The last time I lifted up a dress I got into big trouble...

The $5 looks much more like a native American male.

I always wanted to visit the St. Gauden's estate. I've driven past, it is close to where my brother lives...

• Options
    That's my point, Carl. The few coins that really showed a native American accurately were the $2 1/2 and $5 gold and the Buffalo nickel. Those were "Indians"!! Not some high school girl who cleaned up Auggie's studio and who he was probably banging on the sly!image
  • Options
    Oh yes, one more thing....

from the ency of us gold coins p 326

The author (Q David Bowers) with a cast of "victory," from the Sherman Monument, on view at Saint Gaudens National Historical Site. This figure was used as a model for the mcmvii double eagle obverse.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like a question that could have stumped the Jeopardy king. I actually like the Indian on the $5 series better as he looks tougher. The princess is cute but I prefer the Olsen twins. Did you hear than Cameron?

My $10 Indian Gold Registry Set >>

The Native American that appears on the Pratt $2.50 and $5.00 gold coins is a REAL Indian. Ditto for the Buffalo nickel. The persons that appeared on the Indian cents and the St. Gaudens $10 gold coins were white ladies who were wearing headdresses. I think that the Indian cent and the $10 gold coins are attractive, but the design really does not make much sense.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file