Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Re "What percentage of your certified personal collection is slabbed PCGS?", next ? -- wh

lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
I think a good follow-up question to "What percentage of your certified personal collection is slabbed PCGS?" is this:

Of the PCGS coins in your collection, what percentage were purchased in PCGS slabs, and what % were purchased raw or in other slabs and crossed over?

Of my PCGS coins, probably 85% were purchased that way, the rest crossed over from NGC or ANACS. I typically won't try and cross a coin, however, unless it would be an upgrade to my registry set of pl/dmpl morgans.
I brake for ear bars.

Comments

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    3% crossed at same grade level of a total of 10% that changed slabs
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I shouldn't have smoked all that weed during high school math classes......... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭
    99% of my collection is PCGS - All but 1 coin that I'm trying to cross

80% were originally PCGS

10% were NGC and crossed

10% were raw then slabbed

imageimage

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    0% crossed. 11 raw coins put into PCGS plastic.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    It was not intended to be a tough question. Everyone seems to have had no problem determining the percentage of coins slabbed by PCGS in their collection.

My follow-up question is simply aimed at finding out whether people bought them in PCGS slabs, or bought them raw, or bought them in another slab and crossed them over. Well, maybe that is confusing. image
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Dude, could you go through that again?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not tried crossing any of the NGC coins in my collection. No reason to. The coins are not for sale.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% PCGS

1 coin was crossed from ANACS into same grade.
    1 coin was purchased raw.
    The rest were purchased in the PCGS holder

• Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All mine are PCGS....................except one, actally two, (i received one this week from a board member)

1897 Barber Half NGCAU58..........A TON OF EYE APPEAL
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry,

Sell me that coin....sell me that coin....image

You are getting sleepy...sell me that coin...

John
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Maybe 5% of my coins were purchased already slabbed by PCGS. The other 95% were mostly purchased raw, with a couple that were cracked out of other TPG holders. Most of the coins I crackout to submit are to resell.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ReeceReece Posts: 378 ✭✭✭
    I collect only New Orleans Gold coins out of the 50 different coins I have 28 were bought as PCGS coins 16 were bought as NGC coins and crossed, and 6 were bought as NGC coins that have not crossed and probably only 1 out of the 6 will ever cross.image
    RWK
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% pcgs was at one time about 10% crossed from NGC and/or ANACS. Now about 3% crossed.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    97% PCGS (20% of it Raw slabbed).
    2% NGC
    1% ANACS.
  • Options
    0% originally PCGS

0% crossed

0% total slabbed by PCGS

0% slabbed period.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably about 40% of my personal collection is PCGS. Maybe 30% is NGC. The rest is raw. Most of those items are tokens and medals, which the major services either don't certify, or they don't do a great job of certifying them.

As for crossovers, I've never crossed over a coin in my life, and don't intend to start. It's an anal retentive, economically wasteful practice to spend good money on holders so that you collection looks uniform. Those who get their coins re-holdered so that the labels are all the same color are close to certifiable IMO. When your collection is sold no one is going to give a rat's tail about that.

I only do crack outs for higher grades if I am getting ready to sell a coin and I think that it will work. If I'm going to sell a coin in the foreseeable future, it stays in the same holder, even if I think it will up grade.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow a subthread to my thread.image
    About 65% of my PGCS coins were submitted raw. 5% were crossed from NGC and ANACS.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

2% raw, 0% crossed over from another TPG.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    100 Percent of my graded coins are PCGS. I have crossed only three since I started this registry thing. Two NGC and one ANACS.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I don't crossover coins. I like the coin, not the plastic holder around it.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    N.A. I've never tried crossing anything.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    None, as I don't sell, I don't have a reason to cross coins to another service to increase resale value. The only reason I slab a coin is for authentication, variety identification confirmation, and protection.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I have crossed nothing over to PCGS. I haven't consumed the Kool-Aid. image
  • Options
    Currently 8% soon to be 18% ( aren't Morgans easy with 100 in collection?) All for registry reasons.
    morgannut2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file