Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Teletrade is Dead to Me!

I returned an expensive coin to Teletrade and found out today they charge a 5% return fee plus another 10 bucks for coins over 2 G's
What did these guys to deserve such cash? Is this a new policy? They will NEVER see me again!!

Comments

• Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    ouch! was the coin 2k or more?
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    Sure was. What a disappointment when I mailed the coin back, immediately, via registered mail, and calling to give them the heads up yet!

Doesn't anyone appreciate the cost to the consumer of just returning a dog coin?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this a new policy? >>

It depends on how you define new. Teletrade has always had a return fee, but the additional $10 thing was added about six months ago.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    People should boycott their services. I have heard of 3 percent restocking fees, but 5 percent with an extra fee? What, do they collect 5 or 10 bucks to buy dinner for the Teletrade crew?

Those guys should be ashamed.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>People should boycott their services. >>

Either that, or read the TOS before bidding.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I had returned a coin once before, but maybe didn't realize the fee as it was a low value (relatively) return. It gets tiring to read the fine print all the time. Just legal thievery
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I won a Suunday night Teletrade auction (10pm est) ; the coin was in my mailbox Wednesday at noon....and I'm on the East Coast. On top of that, three days after receiving the coin, I received a wet ink "thank-you" note.

I bid as if it were an Ebay auction----and was well aware of their return policy prior to bidding (unlike other auctioneers, their return policy is easily accessible under the "how it works" link). So far teletrade's provided better service than any other internet auction house....sorry you had a bad experience.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents -

The return policy is well within the industry standards.

If someone is thinking about bidding on a $2,000+ coin at auction and doesn't want the hassle of a possible return, then consider seeking assistance with the purchase from a local dealer who can lot view the Teletrade lot in advance of the auction. I have the ability to inspect any Teletrade lot before the auction as does many other local dealers. Fees are generally 10% or less for this service and ONLY on the coins which are actually purchased. And, of course, all the coins which are not "up to par" result in non-purchases and -0- being paid for the service.

I have little interest in providing these services to anyone other than my current customers, so I am not trying to "drum up business" here. I am just laying out an easy way to possibly avoid getting disappointed at auction. In fact, if you PM me, I would be happy to give you the names of other dealers or local collectors who might be able to assist you in the future.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Wondercoin,

I appreciate your offer of information, but I will pass. If one has to go through all this hassle (and expense) to buy a coin online, I would rather invest the money and go to the FUN show or a local coin show or ebay. If that is the industry standard, then the industry is going to lose collectors like myself. Teletrade lost my business.
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I've only had one disappointing coin on Teletrade. I thought the description was over the top. The coin was over $2k. I've bought about thirty coins on Teletrade, so the one disappointment was not bad considering the sight-unseen status. (Although, the photos do help) I think Teletrade is first rate in most areas.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    Guess I will go to the NJ show and hit Rutt's Hut while I'm there. See if Teletrade can compete with that combo! LOL
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah and they rip you more by requiring return by registered mail; adding insult to injury.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Like I said, ripoff artists. People should complain about their terms or boycott
  • Options
    My 2 cents worth on Teletrade...I won a Morgan dollar, nothing expensive, but it looked SWEET and WAY undergraded...got it on the cheap...very white and clean...was planning on sending it in for review. When I got it, had a big print on it (the guy that left his mark must have been a BIG man.....BIG print). I called them on it, spoke to Bob Curtis, and some other guy named Ian....the pic on auction was taken so that the print was not noticeable at all...at ALL! Told me to send it back and they would cover shipping both ways...but this was the second time this exact same thing has happened....I gave them my thoughts that their photogs were doing a great job of covering up flaws...and they never even talked about whether they did it that way or not....just said he would look into it.....hmmmmmmm.........they are on my 'hit list'...I won two items in the last two days...we shall see if I send them to the showers.......BUT...as in another thread earlier this week....why do all my max bids get maxed when I win??? Its UNCANNY...and have you noticed how many of the coins you are bidding on seem to have the same price a few times over in past auctions for similarly graded, same date coins???
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'
  • Options
    Maybe because the max price is the consignors' reserve price? Or perhaps others bought and then returned the coins at those prices?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MassFullStepper, you noticed the same coincidences tooimage

How about paying $500+ to return a $10,000 coin? That's a lot to have the honor of bidding on a lot. I feel that Teletrade would prefer than coins get returned a few times as they make 5% each transaction for the same coin. It's a real sweet heart of a deal.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Bingo, you are right on the money!! Why not, what a payday to loan out a coin for 10 days. You can't make that in the bank. I paid 140 bucks for the right to buy and return a dog coin, and 14 bucks to send it back to them.

Guys, we should launch a protest!
  • Options

at least there's some recourse with TT; unlike a forum such as ebay where the possibility of a return is hit or miss or on "good faith" (unless paypal and credit cards are involved). TT has distinct advantages over ebay in that you are dealing w/ a 3rd party, and for the most part the pics are better.
  • Options
    Big Al, my feedback is 184 with 100% positives, and many more transactions both as a seller and buyer. Only twice have I been burned. Ebay rules...
  • Options
    Well, you won't be competing with me anymore. TT is finished in my book
  • Options

Dude, here's an example of a nerve-racking ebay experience: mailing a $4200 ck off to a "dealer" for a Morgan and 20 days later still no coin.

How about paying $500+ to return a $10,000 coin?

how about a pos and no return?......would you feel more comfortable sending 10K to some random "dealer" on ebay who doesn't accept cc's or paypal?........at least there's recourse and a comfort level knowing that you can get at least most of your $$$ back.

• Options
    I thought that ebay could intercede in such cases, and even refund most of the money. I am going to sleep, it is late on the East coast. Teletrade is HISTORY!!!!
  • Options
    I understand your frustration but generally speaking, for the most part you know what your bidding on during a TT auction. Of course you must weed through the junk, similar to ebay, but at least when you send off pmt you’re not losing sleep over whether the sellers account was hacked or if you’ll see any refund at all if requesting a return.

TT is basically a junk store auction, however a few good deals can still be had. But the distinction is the fact that you’re dealing w/ a third pary…yes a refund will cost you, but at least there’s recourse, something which is not guaranteed w/ ebay. I suppose you could think of the return fee as both a nuisance fee + insurance fee.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    what is the fee structure for selling at teletrade?

michael
  • Options
    Alternatively, if you're not happy with a coin and don't want to pay the restocking fee, you could always resell it to someone else yourself for the same price you paid.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Hey Gemini! Buy all your coins from Heritage or Superior or one of the other HUGE auctions houses. You buy a coin from them, it's yours! There are E-Bay sellers who charge a 5% restocking fee on returns. If you didn't read the instructions, quit your Bellyaching!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    This is one of the reasons, I think, why every time I've won there it's been at my maximum. Knowing the TOS, I factor these things into my bid -- the juice, the shiping charges *and* the potential to eat more on a return. This keeps my bids lower, I think, and might be why I'm not ever a winner at 10-20% below my maximum (or more).

It's little different than people who charge exorbitant shipping on eBay in that respect. If you think you'll return one coin out of five, then reduce each bid by 1/5 of the cost of a typical return. I'm not sure I'd bid $2000 somewhere on a coin with a restocking fee unless I could examine the coin in hand or had an opinion I trust vouch for the coin after *they* viewed it.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

rule #1 - If you view the lot and win it you own it

Is there a competant in house numismatist at Spectrum/Teletrade
    that can give an appropriate lot description? I heard this fellow Mr.Paul Song aka LA Coinboy is pretty good.

Stewart
  • Options
    John Brush at Spectrum can help you.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Short of taking the advice of wondercoin to have someone skilled at grading to view the coin, don't bid unless you can view in person. And, the a fee of 3-5% is more than reasonable for an expert opinion.....10% is a bit steep.

If I were near TT's location, I'd love to view just 200-300 coins per auction for clients. Easy money, and you get what you expect. image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165

<< <i>Either that, or read the TOS before bidding. >>

How many have actually read this? I have! The very first article provides for the consignor(s) to bid on his(their) own coins which, of course, is why with hours left to go in an auction prices are pretty much right at full retail. If you're gonna play, learn the rules of the game.

In the good ole days I used to get a lot of PQ stuff at really GOOD prices, before their "terms" were ammended. If I had a bad coin it was returned with no problems. I've had coins incorrectly labeled. (ie a particular date and mint mark was described yet inside was a totally wrong mint mark) I don't pay for other people's mistakes or attempted cover ups.

Now, if lighting is manipulated and flaws purposely hidden in a shadow, return policy or not/ re-stocking fee or not, the coin is going back and I WILL NOT pay these bogus "FEES"! I have yet to do so. The promise of putting a charge in dispute along with the hint of litigation regarding Fraud/ false & deceptive advertising works wonders.image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short of taking the advice of wondercoin to have someone skilled at grading to view the coin, don't bid unless you can view in person. And, the a fee of 3-5% is more than reasonable for an expert opinion.....10% is a bit steep. If I were near TT's location, I'd love to view just 200-300 coins per auction for clients. Easy money, and you get what you expect.

TT has produced some great "scores" on coins this year. For example, a Lincoln cent that sold for around $500 at TT auction, upgraded and sold at auction recently for just under $10,000. I bought a coin recently for a customer for around $1,100 where my customer had a $2,750 bid with buyers fee on the coin after my inspection and pre-auction report - do you think he cared about adding $110 to the purchase price for my pre-screening of the one coin he actually bought out of the 1,000+ lot sale I reviewed?

I also like Paul Song from TT a great deal as well (not as a coin grader, but as a super marketing guru for Teletrade). I consign and buy coins at TT regularly - they do a super job considering the thousands and thousands of coins they offer at auction each week with pictures, and often descriptions where warranted.

Where Heritage has done a fine job or Bowers, I have consistently commented there as well.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Dale Larson is with Spectrum/Teletrade. He posts here on occasion as Toningintheblood. Dale is a pretty cool guy and is very knowledgable. I recall he wrote a nice personal note when I made an ebay purchase from him a few years ago.

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I was always impressed with the customer service at Teletrade. I don't see any problem with them charging a $10 return fee.

I just wish they would list coins that I want and can afford! It's been a long time since my TT "Mr Want List" scored a hit.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the part about Rutts Hut....for those of you who dont know...its famous hot dog stand....image
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file