Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Think this 14d should get slabbed?

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a 14d I have in a Whitman album. Good solid brown coin I call a solid VG coin. Do you think this coin should stay put or should it be slabbed? I have pulled the 09S VDB and 22 NoD out already from this album, but left this coin (as well as a 63/64 Rd 31S) unslabbed. Given the current value of this coin, should I slab it and just show it slabbed with the album? As a side question, Does anyone have a current bid for this coin in this condition?
imageimage
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin... don't slab it unless you're selling it.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree,
    No need to slab unless your selling it which would open up more buyers, Nice Vg-10.
  • Options
    i agree on grade and not slabbing unless its for a near future sale.
    could be BB`d for cleaning or net graded. that would be sorta a bummer.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a very big fan of slabbing circulated key date coins like this. The collector should take the time to educate him or herself about what makes for an authentic coin.

The coin pictured appears to be authentic and retails for about $100-$120 in VG with no problems. A legit dealer should have no problem paying you $80-$90 for the coin shown.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll jump on the bandwagon and agree with the others- there's really no burning need to slab it unless you plan on selling it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i have a complete lincoln collection including an svdb in xf, 14-d in xf, 22 plain in vf, & all happily reside in my whitman album.

K S
  • Options
    Slab it! I say slab any coin if you have doubts and like slabsimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I probably wouldn't bother. About the only reason I might do that is for an opinion of authenticity. The date style looks right for a '14-D; the other main concern would be the added mintmark. But I think circulated Lincolns generally look best raw, in an album (though I have 1909-S and 1914-D slabbed, but these are both graded AU-50).
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the tilted "D" one of the known die types for the 14d?

I haven't looked at a lot of them, but I don't think I've seen a mintmark tilted like that before.
  • Options
    Looks better than a VG-8....I agree with the VG10 jdimmick gave it image

I'd slab it myself, but I like slabs as well image
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I agree with LanLord, the mint mark looks suspect to me, possibly an altered simage--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Normal mintmark. Should slant and be a little to the right.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file