Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Chuck Snipes Back: The Revenge

Oh the excitement! The drama! Six mercury dimes, four of which I was willing to bid on, were coming down to the wire minutes apart from one another. The first, a 1940-S was pumped up to $70 with 7 seconds left by the bidder who would later become my fiercest foe. I let that one slip by b/c I was most interested in another; the second dime, the one I truly wanted, was in my grasp. I tried my first ever snipe, and placed a bid for $53 with 19 seconds left. "Yes!!" I thought as the price jumped to a slim $33. Then with 7 seconds left, the same bidder from the 1940-S auction snaps it up for $54!! The score now: 1-0. 19 seconds was not enough buffer; "on the next coin, I'll wait 'til there's 5 seconds left," I thought. Well, the third auction turned out to be a disaster...the auction closed one or two seconds before I hit submit, and guess who it went to. Yep, the same mofo from #1 and #2. Score: 2-0. One coin left to go. A sparkling 1944-S. The pixelated picture and hasty description never looked so good. I thought, "I'll put in a bid for $55 with 15 seconds left which is a healthy bid and will allow enough time for the computer to process a SNIPE." I called up the microsoft clock and watched the seconds tick by. I entered my bid amount in the box, and my mouse pointer hovered over the submit button. Tick-tick-tick-BOOM: I pulled the trigger. I won that coin with 8 seconds left I later found out, and although the other sniper did not place a bid on this one, I consider it victory with some wounds.

the thread that prompted the revenge

Comments

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    don't get too caught up in the story now image
  • Options
    Chuck, you may be a good candidate for

esnipe

It sounds like you love the thrill more than anything, but bidding with 15 seconds left might not even be considered a snipe around here. If it is something I really want, I use esnipe.

TB
  • Options
    Auto snipers suck. Where's the fun in that?? I like when someone else is sniping at the same time I am and I win and then email them to gloat. image Auto snipers take all the glory away from a good snipe.
  • Options
    My best snipe was done with only 1 second left on the clock.
    Ebay seems to have changed something it to make that harder to do now.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Autosnipers are great for those of us that can't remember to be in front of the computer at the right time.
  • Options
    Link the auction so we know what you wonimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    I'm sorta embarassed to link the auction since I could have done a buy it now on another merc and saved two bucks! d'oh! but it's cool cuz it was a crap shoot..could have went for 35...could have went for 55. here it is:

link
  • Options
    You're getting the hang of it Chuck, You just have to work on timing.

Next time, open the window and place your max bid up to the screen that has the "submit" button. Now open another window and have the 2 windows both open but not blocking each other. Keep refreshing the window without the submit button every 5-8 seconds and count with it. Correct your count each time until you get down around 8-10 seconds, then as you go 7,6,5,4,submit . This will not give them enough time to react after you.

Btw if you have multiple items closing at the same time you can have multple windows. Just be sure to go to your "My preferences" tab and click "stay signed in".

Now wasn't there a 1907 raw double eagle to practice onimage
  • Options
    19 second "snipe"???

Bah!

• Options

<< <i> 19 second "snipe"? >>

Anything over 4 seconds is just a bid. image
  • Options
    I know, I know...19 sec was just a bid. I timed it wrong plus it was my first atempt at it.

"Now wasn't there a 1907 raw double eagle to practice on "

HA! if has a winged liberty head on it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file