Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Now here's an interesting attribution for a Peace $

I'm surprised that SEGS is doing this. While I agree that there are 1921 business strikes from the proof dies -- this was confirmed by ANACS on a coin that I submitted last year. I'm not sure this is a variety that would cause such an increase in price. I suppose you can look at it like a variety such as the different 1972 Ikes.

Any thoughts?? Should we start hunting these coins????

Michael

Comments

• Options
    A SEGS holder isn't likely to lead an industry wide charge to document a particular variety on the slab. An ANACS slab might carry some weight, but probably only in large numbers. I don't really think PCGS or NGC is going to document it on their holders. Would probably be of interest more to a VAM collector than to the majority of silver dollar collectors, anyway.
  • Options
    No one else?????

Michael
  • Options
    I think it would fall into a "VAM-like" category. Interesting, collectible for some, but not necessarily a "must have" for anyone but the fanatical Peace Dollar collector. Now, if PCGS included it in the Registry, well, that's another matter entirely!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Michael, being struck from the proof dies, wouldn't interest me. Others, that collect varieties, more so I guess. I would think that some business strikes would have a better strike than the coins minted from the worn proof dies. The strike of a coin is really important to me. For example, collecting O mint Morgans with detailed eagle breast feathers and some hair detail above the ear of Miss Liberty, can be tuff. Practically impossible in some years.

SEGS probably are just trying to find ways to step up in the market in my opinion. Not a bad idea though. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i think it's extremely cool. of course, the png would tell you that segs attribution sucks.

K S
  • Options
    Here's an explanation for the type II 1972 Ike that even PCGS attributes and placed into the registry and the Redbook now recognizes

But sometime in 1972, a single Type 2 high-relief die was used to strike some 1972 Philly coins, either by accident or as an experiment to see how it would hold up to the stress. It is widely presumed that this was a proof die pressed into service for business strikes. Based on die life it is estimated that less than 100,000 of these 1972 Type 2 coins were struck.

(Borrowed from Tad and www.supercoin.com)

I see people go nuts for TypeII Ikes. Why ignore this this variety? I would imagine there are fewer 1921 Peace $ struck from proof dies that 1972 Type II Ikes. Just look at the total mintage for both coins.

I wonder if ANACS would attribute this?? I got them to attribute a 1972-D Peg Leg Ike.

Michael
  • Options
    edited because my post was full of stupidity and showed how i can't think straight without my Coffee image
  • Options

<< <i>If these were supposedly struck from "Proof" Dies, but don't look "Proof", how can you tell ? >>

Die polish lines are one indicator, strike is another.

Michael
  • Options
    die diagnostics would tell you whether it's proof or not. kinda like the 1880's quarters, so many business strikes look exactly like proofs, so you gotta know the die characterstics of the proofs to know for sure.

K S
  • Options
    I think it's a neat attribution. SEGS and ANACS are known for beating the path ahead on attributions, although many of them do not seep their way into the other TPGs. If cherrypickers lists it, or if it's listed by VAM, then NGC, at least, will attribute the piece as well.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so, what exactly are the diagnostics? Looks like an ordinary '21 from here..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    If I told you then everyone would be out hunting these and I couldn't add to my growing collection of them! image

Actually, just look for a great full strike and die polish lines on the obverse left field and die polish lines on the reverse between the S of O.

Michael

• Options

Look at area between S of States and the O of on the reverse. There are 4-5 die polish lines. Those die polish lines are one of the diagnostics to look for.

Michael
  • Options
    Regardless of the accuracy of their attribution, due to the quantity of gross missattributions that segs is known for and the inept customer service, their acceptance is virtually nonexistent in the marketplace.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Those die polish lines are one of the diagnostics to look for."

What are the other diagnostics (if you know)?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>due to the quantity of gross missattributions that segs is known for >>

??? examples please? seems like segs has FAR better specialized attribution acceptance then just about any other plastic co.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file