Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Lelands = Lousy Service

Spent $1200 for 2 cards in the Leland's auction.
17.5% hammer fee.
My check cleared June 11.
Shipping charge $30!
Called today June 25. Their response: "Well it should have gone out early this week, but it hasn't gone out yet"

Color me "Ex-Leland's Customer".image
Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!

Comments

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    FRANK - We get spoiled w/ the usually quick service that eBay auctions give us. I had some Fleer PSA auctions end last night, over half were paid via Paypal within an hour of them ending, all were packaged soon after and shipped out this morning. And usually when I win a lot and likewise Paypal quickly, the item is in my hands within a few days. Now anything less, is subpar. Hopefully your incoming cards will be worth the wait...jay
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    You're right Jay. That's the trouble...I'm too used to dealing with you! Paypal and it's in my hands in 2 days.
    Frank

• 19541954 Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭
    I won an item for $8650 sent the payment via bank wire on Wednesday the 14th and received the set on the 15th. Thanks Lelands for your great service.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I guess that's the difference between $8650 service, and $1200 service. Remind me not to buy anything less than a grand from them...
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I waited a month to get an item that was listed as a different year than what it was. Still waiting for the call back about it.
    However, with Chris Porter there I think they deserve at least another chance.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• I won two lots for about $2950. I sent cashiers check on Monday June 8th, and have heard nothing.

I guess you have to spend at least $3000 to get any service.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I missed the cut-off too. I only spent $2600. Money order sent Saturday 6/7 and I still have not received my cards.

They will not be able to compete with reputable auction houses if they keep this up.
    Happy ending. Called Fri 6/25. Cards arrived today via overnight shipping. See that! It pays to post a complaint here!!image
    Frank

• Good to hear Frank.
    I emailed them today, but they probably won't be around until Monday. It is a shame that you have to call them to get any service, though.

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Sent them an email yesterday (7/1) asking about delivery. Got the following reply:

Jimmy is a little backed up and your item will be shipped next week.

Their whole shipping department is named "Jimmy"? I would have thought that a multi-million dollar auction house would have more than just "Jimmy" shipping out orders (nothing against Jimmy). My items cost me over $5,000, not very large maybe by their standards, but a chunk-of-change for me. I expected a little faster service.

Am I the last to get my stuff? Jimmy must be "backed up" shipping someone else's stuff.

Sign me frustrated. image
    This is BS

$2600 item paid for 6/7/04 and cleared 6/14/04

Still nothing.
  • IN past dealings with Lelands their customer service has been great .... Sorry to hear you have had a tough time with them...
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Jimmy, between coffee breaks, hard at work in the warehouse :

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Hey guys,

I can actually say that I've seen "Jimmy" in action.

I won something from Lelands two years ago and drove
    up to pick up my goods. Didn't trust the mail. That
    drive on the BQE is horrible for this country boy.

Anyway, I had to use their bathroom after the
    2 hour trip and found "Jimmy" in the back room
    packing stuff to go out.

It's only one guy. Everyone else was in the office
    chatting on the phone. Perhaps they have more
    than one packing person, but I only saw this
    one old fellow packing stuff. image
    Jimmy's last name is Leland.image
    Frank

It's ironic that we are talking about Leland's slow service, and I just get an email from Leland about their MLB auction.

Jimmy better move a little faster.

• pcpc Posts: 743
    finally got mine but what i dont understand is
    why the cards were shipped in individual LARGE
    boxes without protection.no bubble wrap,plastic,
    cardboard...nuttn...

Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Received my cards this week. And they were well packaged. I guess it helps to contact them.

It never took so long to get items from Superior or Mastro. And I didn't have to pay a 17.5% buyers fee.

• << <i>Hey guys,

I can actually say that I've seen "Jimmy" in action.

I won something from Lelands two years ago and drove
    up to pick up my goods. Didn't trust the mail. That
    drive on the BQE is horrible for this country boy.

Anyway, I had to use their bathroom after the
    2 hour trip and found "Jimmy" in the back room
    packing stuff to go out.

It's only one guy. Everyone else was in the office
    chatting on the phone. Perhaps they have more
    than one packing person, but I only saw this
    one old fellow packing stuff. image >>

I, too, went there once to pick up a set of 25th anniv. Hartlands, and I guess because it was a Saturday there was just one person there, but wall to wall stuff that looked like it was being readied to be shipped out.

Has everyone gotten their cards from the June auction? I have not.

I cannot believe that Lelands has such horrible service. Why in the world do they think they are entitled to a 17 1/2 % buyer fee when their service is so bad?

I will never bid on one of their auctions again!image
  • I am still waiting for my cards. I will also not be bidding any Leland auctions in the future.
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I finally got my items on Wednesday (return address had Jimmy's name on it). I think the thing that makes me the most ticked off is that I got the catalog for Leland's new auction before receiving my items from their previous auction. If they have the time to organize all of the consignments, take pretty pictures of each lot, and write a bunch of hooey in the descriptions, then maybe they should have one or two people help old Jimmy in the mail room.

Just a thought.

B
    I decided to throw away the Lelands MLB auction catalog without unwrapping it.

Hopefully Chris Porter will turn the company around.
  • ScumbiScumbi Posts: 268
    Is Leland's the one with the Nazi stuff in the catalog? This company does everything backwards.

S.
  • I sent Leland's an e-mail because I wanted to know why the back cover of their MLB catalogue has a picture Sandy Koufax as a right-handed pitcher. The photo isn't reversed because "Dodgers" and "32" both show up correctly in the photo, but he is wearing a glove on his left hand. Not sure how they did this.

Maybe Jimmy is busy playing with the photos instead of packing up items.image

Rick
    Always looking for high-grade 1958-62 Bell Brand and Morrell Meat Dodger cards.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is Leland's the one with the Nazi stuff in the catalog? This company does everything backwards.

S. >>

They also auctioned off a slave tag. At least they didn't put the lot next to a Jackie Robinson auction. image
  • Hey everybody -

It looks like we have some work to do to get everyone's trust back, or just to build it in the first place. Speaking for the company, I want everyone that's posted on this topic to realize that we are aware of these concerns and will do what is necessary to stop the difficulties with the slow shipments and poor communication.

We value every collector out there and absolutely don't want to offend or alienate anyone. The company has grown a lot in the past couple of years and is now poised to grow even more, especially in the card arena, so please don't write us off. We will have some great delivery systems in place for the Fall auction!

If anyone is interested in speaking with me about the company, the hobby in general, or just to say hi, please reach me as follows:

Chris Porter
    223 E. State St., Ste. 200
    Traverse City, MI 49684

231-946-8510 office 231-392-6355 cell

chrisporter@lelands.com

Thanks!

Chris
    Chris Porter

Lelands.com
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Chris - your presence at Leland's adds a whole new air of credibility to their card auction business - we are all very excited to see what you will be bringing to the table in future auctions.

I still remember when I first became aware of Leland's, back in '87 or so, I was only 11 at the time - but they were located in Allentown, which was about 20 minutes from where I grew up - and they were proudly proclaiming the discovery of the first "million dollar baseball card" with the 1932 US Caramel Freddy Lindstrom card. Although the card never realized the hoped-of prices - it was nonetheless fun to watch.

Thanks for the update. PS - you might want to talk to the administrators about changing your title/moniker (e.g. change it from Superior Sports)

Thanks-
    ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Thanks MS -

Carol Bennett is top notch - I think that it's fixed.

Chris
    Chris Porter

Lelands.com
  • rw2winrw2win Posts: 557
    17.5% is nuts! ebay rules!!!
  • RW 2 Win

You're right - ebay is great, but catalog auctions are pretty cool also, I've always thought. The thrill of looking through a big catalog for the first time is awesome for me. You're far too concerned about the BP - if you want to spend $1,000 on an item, just bid $1,000 on ebay for it or $850 in the catalog auction - your total is around $1,000 either way. Believe me - most bidders incorporate the BP into what they'll bid, so you're not likely to be outbid by someone who considers it a non-factor.

Either way, best of luck with your collecting endeavors.

CP
    Chris Porter

Lelands.com
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    CP:

It can work out pretty good for consignors, too. I had a nice 1950s Pop 1 PSA 9 common that I listed on Ebay with a $1,000 reserve in Jan./Feb. of this year. The lot closed at $850 or so - with the high bidder complaining that it was already so much higher than SMR. I promptly sent the card to you (while you were at Superior...), and I think in your auction the card closed at $2,900 or so - which ended up working very nicely for me.

It is exactly reasons like this that many of the low population or hard-to-find star cards find their way to auction houses and not Ebay. If everyone agreed with rw2win - then the auction houses wouldn't be in business. At least with the big auctions - you can just peruse the catalog at your leisure - and not have to worry every day about ebay auction end times, snipes, etc.

Best-
    ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    To me, auction houses are really only for big ticket items, say $1,000 or more, where good marketing is essential. Anything under $1,000 is best suited for Ebay, as marketing is less of a factor.

Plus, auction houses, good ones at least, add a tremendous amount of credibility to an item. You know that at least one professional has looked the item over, and even if there is a problem down the road, you know they'll take care of it. On Ebay, it's always a gamble--especially for the big ticket items.

Plus, if an auction house does scr*w someone over, it's much harder for them to recover from it. On Ebay, the scammers just surface under another name. An auction house would have to change their name, relocate the business, fire everyone and rehire new people--it's just not worth the risk to go bad.
    CP,

I haven't met you, but I've heard only good things. I thinks it's admirable that you have come on here willing to admit some problems instead of the usual denial nonsense. I'm not a big auction buyer, but occasionally I'll go after something of interest. I would ask that Leland's take any offensive mementos and sell them privately or in another auction. I don't want to see a hi# 1952 Jake Pitler next to a lowlife 1939 Hitler. Also, KKK stuff turns my stomach. I understand there is a sick group of individuals out there collecting this stuff, however each time you include an item as such you put a dagger into the hearts of many innocent people. If Ansel Adams took the most glorious photo of your mom being tossed in a woodchipper, would you be a little upset about seeing it for sale in a catalog? The Nazi stuff is no different. It takes people back to a time when their loved ones were butchered or gassed for no reason. It's a visceral reaction. There is no way to argue that Nazi ans slave crud shoudl be in the same auction as baseball cards. A catalog shouldn't inflict pain. This is a hobby done for pleasure. Sometimes the almighty dollar has to take a backseat to good taste.

I wish you luck and I hope you do some serious thinking about what is auction worthy and what isn't.

Best,

Scumbi
    While Nazi material and slavery items may have no place in a baseball card catalog, they do have a place. If I were to buy a slave tag, for example, I wouldn't buy it so that I could commemorate slavery. I'd buy it so that I could actually appreciate the horrors of it more. As bad as slavery was/is, we cannot allow ourselves to forget it.

If you showed somebody a picture of a slave tag, then they'd probably say, "hmmm". But if you actually showed them a real tag that was used on a human being, you'd probably get something like "Oh my God" and a very interesting and enlightening discussion along with it.
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    This thread is officially hijacked.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey

<< <i>Is Leland's the one with the Nazi stuff in the catalog? This company does everything backwards.

S. >>

S.

I believe it was Mastro that had an autographed copy of Adolf Hitler's "Mein Kampf" in one of its auctions. I agree that such an item is inappropriate for either its Americana auction or its sportscard auction.

CP

I think I was a bit premature in writing Lelands off. (My cards have still not arrived yet though.) If anyone knows how to run a great auction, it is you. Looking forward to doing business with you again.

koby
  • Our gypsy friends at Slater's have KKK items. They like to claim historical reasons when auctioning it off, but the fact that they're making money off it is what irks me.
    jrinck,

The hypothetical you pose is simply a form of Sophism. Intelligent people don't buy the slave tags and kkk wizard uniforms to bring up discussions with other people. They know about the atrocities and feel horrible sharing species with other who could willingly perpetrate such acts. My feeling is that stuff ends up in the hands of the not so enlightened who take pleasure in the misery heterogenous groups faced at different points in history.

Regardless, as Koby said, this kind of stuff doesn't belong in a sports or americana auction catalog. Handle the sales privately or do another separate auction with a different mailing list. There are hundreds of museums and monuments to those who faced oppression at one time or another. I think visiting one is a lot more enlightening than having grandpapa come down stairs dressed like an SS Stormtrooper. The items should be donated to museums that go out of their way to document the horrible times so people don't forget. Hidden in a closet isn't doing the community at large a lot of good.

I've said my bit. I'm not going to get into any long arguments. Voice your opinions if they are what you truly believe. However, don't be stupid and play devil's advocate on this one for entertainment value. This is one area I don't find to be too funny.

S.
    Scumbi,

I am totally confused that you are offended by
    Nazi items in Lelands auctions, yet you go ahead
    and offend people of faith on these boards. You know what I'm talking about.

KKK and Nazi stuff turns your stomach ?
    Don't you know that screwing a backboard into the Lord's body is offensive too ?

Kind of a double standard, eh ?

Oh, by the way Chris, Scumbi is 100% correct about removing
    that disgusting material. How can your company prosper by
    offering evil for sale ? Think about it.

<< <i>
    I've said my bit. I'm not going to get into any long arguments. Voice your opinions if they are what you truly believe. However, don't be stupid and play devil's advocate on this one for entertainment value. This is one area I don't find to be too funny.

S. >>

Please reread what I wrote. I don't find Nazi items and slave tags to be funny, either. And I also don't think they should be sold in sports catalogs. We actually pretty much agree on all the issues brought up in this topic. Peace, my friend.
  • Thanks for posting, Chris. With you on board, I am sure that the card division of the auctions will be very reliable and successful.

Rob McBride

zsz,

You have a minor point with the double standard stuff. But, be aware my stuff is done purely for jest as you know. Also, I'm not trying to profit on joke posts. And, I've done a review of The Muppets Take Auschwitz and I openly admit I didn't watch Roots. So, I'm not strictly a Christian basher. If the Shroud of Turin shows up in a catalog, well...I couldn't afford it.

Thus, context is very much the issue here. I don't think the issues are directly linked, but if I offended you, then, I'm sorry.

I look to the people on this board as friends. I misunderstood jrinck's post so I apologize to him for jumping down his throat. The issue was auction related. I'm sure you wouldn't want the actual nails they used on Jesus in a Mastro auction even if GAI authenticated them.

Be well,

S.
    Oh,

I get it. You're right. The issues aren't related in that Lelands is selling for a profit.

So when you describe the Lord (who doesn't need me to stick up for him by the way)
    as having a backboard nailed to his chest.........
    Or when Howard Stern's only question to the Columbine killers is why they didn't "do"
    the girls before they killed them..............
    Or when someone jokes about blowing up a bus in Isreal or flying a plane into the twin towers,

When this is done in jest, it's supposed to be funny ?

Well, what happened in Auschwitz is the reality of your "funny" material.
    Would it be funny if someone nailed a backboard into a jewish mother's chest there ?
    How do you think Rachel Scott's mother feels about Howard Sterns humor ?
    The kid in my classroom who's daddy didn't come home from work because
    he got blown up by a terrorist (yes, I teach in NJ), should have some sort of punch line in your opinion ?
    Or perhaps we should nail backboards into kids chests because of their faith or point of view ?

Howard Stern and others like you should end up in the humor hall of fame.
    zsz,

I think we are getting off topic a bit. I didn't make any Twin Tower or Columbine jokes. I'm not the core of all evil on this planet. I, mean, I try to be, but I'm just not organized enough. I'd have to be a fanatic. Speaking of fanatics, why not turn the other cheek and let this matter die? I made a questionable joke and apologized for offending you.

If that's not enough, work this one out for me. If Jesus wasn't crucified, who would you be able to point your blind devotion at right now? You'd be praying to Thor and Loki over in Asgard. That would be no fun. I'm not asking you for a "Thank You" card. However, I think it's time to put this one to bed. I apologize for offending you. Now, run along and throw a bake sale and recite some PSAlms.

Besides, we all know Jesus was too skinny to support a full plexiglass backboard. Like duh. And, I'm already going to hell because I don't see things the way you and the rest of North Carolina see them. So, shouldn't I be entitled to a little fun?

Be well. I seriously wish you only the best.

I'll try to stick to baseball cards,

S.
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>If Ansel Adams took the most glorious photo of your mom being tossed in a woodchipper, would you be a little upset about seeing it for sale in a catalog? >>

Oh my - one of the most profound statements I have seen on these boards.

My warped sense of reality leaves me wondering if Adams would include a panorama of the Rockies or Grand Canyon in the background.
    Apology to my mother - my mother is a good woman........ I love my mother (too many psych tests).

Our world is full of tragedies from which we learn. Whether they can be attributed to religious, social, or sociopathic reasons may not really matter. What may matter is how we subsequently deal with them.

Healthy respectful debate is needed to work out these problems. Humor helps also, although we have to be mindful of those more sensitive than some.

I do not see the need for the auction or sale of anything related to the Nazis, slavery, or any other of the numerous human rights slaughters going on in the world at this moment or on the past. I also wonder about the seller and if this is someone I would buy from face to face.

I will not go into detail, but will mention that in October 2001 my work took me to a place that I hope to never again visit, whether physically or spiritually. There is one memento I bring from that experience, an understanding that people can overcome evil and any tragedy together and recover.

I have yet to recover from that experience and it has driven me to leave the profession that took me there. Enough said.

Keith

• I thought they tore down Veterans Stadium.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Scumbi,

"Intelligent people don't buy the slave tags and kkk wizard uniforms to bring up discussions with other people. They know about the atrocities and feel horrible sharing species with other who could willingly perpetrate such acts. My feeling is that stuff ends up in the hands of the not so enlightened who take pleasure in the misery heterogenous groups faced at different points in history."

It's amazing that the mere delay in shipping by Lelands has led to this conversation. Personally, in addition to my football card additiction, I collect world war 2 items which include some Nazi and SS items. The basis for my interest is German world war 2 items is that ordinary people such as you and I participated in some of the worst crimes against humanity that this world has ever seen. Not everyone who collects such items is part of the "unenlightened" masses that indulge in the suffering of others.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>I thought they tore down Veterans Stadium. >>

That's excellent. image

Just what I needed.

Yes of course the Vet is gone, replaced by the Linc.

Notice you're from NC.
    If you're a Panther fan you know the Linc as the place where the Panther season ends early this October. image
    Forget about last year - it's time for Donovan's Revenge.

Scumbi,

What makes you think I'm a Christian ?
    Did I ever make mention of that ?

My last name is Nitka. My Jewish grandfather
    came from Europe where Hitler did his dirty work.
    My Jewish father raised me.

The Jewish in me can not tolerate people like
    you who make fun of Jesus. Do Christians go
    around making fun of Moses ? Do Christians
    go around making fun of the Jews that died in Europe ?

Perhaps for your next little bit of humor you should write
    a story of a Jewish mother in Auschwitz carrying a cross
    while her son watched her in a concentration camp.
    The Nazi's drill a backboard into her chest as her son
    watches in horror. Then after hanging her up to play their game, they
    unload fifty rounds into her body as her family and
    friends watch. There, that's real funny isn't it.
    Perhaps you and your friends can find humor in that.

By the way, you didn't offend me and don't have to apologize.
    In all my years of teaching I've seen too much to be offended anymore.

Secondly, the book of PSALMS to my understanding is a Jewish
    Old Testament book, so you now are picking on Jews as well as Christians.
    Do you ever stop ?