Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newbie needs help

Newbie here.

I've been browsing this board for a few months, but never had the nerve to ask a question. But all of a sudden, I got brave.

Can anyone provide information on this coin. I assume it is from the civil war period.
It has a piece missing from it. After reading some of the comments on this board, I think the term is clipped????

Is there any value to this coin?

Thanks

Geod

Comments

• Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    First off, Welcome to the Forum. You should not worry about some of the old crusties around here and post more often.

Second Looks like some kind of Civil War Token. Don't know anything about it, that 's just a guess. I'm sure others here will chime in and tell you more about it.

Later
    J'har
  • Options
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Where's Bill Jones? He could tell you... and that looks like a clip to me...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. It is a Civil War Token, I'll have to leave it to others to attribute it. It looks like it's in great shape, though.

What I can tell you is that the clip appears genuine (i.e. it was an incomplete planchet before striking, and not damaged after striking). Clips on CWTs aren't all that unusual, so any value for the piece will not come from it being an error.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Geod, how DARE you come here and ask questions like that?image

I know virtually nothing about Civil War tokens but if you do a Google search under "army navy Civil War tokens" you can at least find a few asking prices for some (without planchet clips) that have been available for sale.
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Welcome Geod, I also know nothing about this but hopefully this post bump will be read by someone who does. Threads seems to go to page 2-3 and son on pretty quick around here.

• Options
    Nice token!I'm not that knowledgeable about them tho.Just wanted to say welcome to the forums.This is the only place I know where you can get educated and have fun at the same time.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Welcome. I don't know anything about civil war tokens either.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

welcome to the boards Geod,

Here's a link to one very similar to yours.

Coin in the link
    Patriotic Civil War token from dies 6B/309. "Army & Navy" mottto.
    imageimage

Your Coin

It looks as though it has the same design but maybe a different obverse die because the date is much closer to the rim in the eBay example.

I'd suggest clicking on the auction link and contacting the seller. Seems he knows much more about this piece than I would.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I would say that is a genuine clip (as opposed to someone fooling with it to make it look genuine) because it shows the "Blakesley effect". That's an area of weakness on the rim directly opposite the clip, which demonstrates the clip was already there when the coin was struck.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These liberty head pieces with "Army & Navy" on the reverse can be bears to attribute, but I think that this one is a Fuld 8/314a. It's an R-1, which means that it is common. Of course the most common Civil War token variety is rarer than a 1909-S-VDB cent.

I think that the planchet clip is natural not damage. It won't add anything to the value, and could lower it a little for some collectors. The value is in the $12 to $14 range.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Yup, Bill knew... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Welcome aboard! image
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭

• Options
    GeodGeod Posts: 126 ✭✭
  • Options
    GeodGeod Posts: 126 ✭✭
    To everyone,

THANK YOU

Thanks for all the great information and thanks for ALL the warm welcomes.

Hope to be posting more in the very near future

Have a great day!

Geod
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭
    Just in case you decide to go HARDCORE...

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file