Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody else notice a huge swing lately in PCGS grading modern Jeffersons?

I just got back results today from a batch of modern nickels. Not a single coin came back on the high side of my estimated split grade, and two of them came back cleaned! By the way, they were all out of mint sets! These results came on the heels of a stellar submission result two weeks ago with the same caliber coins as these were. They were 65FS and 66FS then and today they were 64FS and 65FS (mostly 64.) The only "bright spot" was that my 97P that I pulled out of a regular mint set came back SMS! I have no idea what I'm going to do with that one. Anyone else notice weird things going on w/ modern coins?

Comments

• Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
  • Options
    is the sms verson of the 1997 worth more? If you disagree with those grades, maybe a presidental review? I find it strange those coins were cleaned, maybe the mint does some sort of cleaning?
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    sounds like a rogue grader..anyone with brains can spot the 97 sms from a regular mint set p

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I am wondering also, if they will compensate the grades on these new Jeffersons, for the horrible strike. How will this compare with the grading on the older Jeffersons. Sure hope the 2nd new strike is better than the first new one.

It is strange that something straight from the mint would come back as cleaned ...... I would question that - how did you store it once received?
  • Options
    I have two questions.

Are the first three cert. numbers of your latest batch 215....?

What were the first 3 numbers of the batch that graded higher?

I had a similair experience recently. My theory is that different grades are being ID'd by these #'s and who ever 215... is they are rough.
    I had a group of coins that all began with 215 come back at least one point low on nearly every coin, then a few months later similar coins came back all with 300.. and all were right on my standards. Last month a third group returned again starting with 215.. and again all undergraded by a point. Maybe I am wrong about this, but I think they have one rouge grader at PCGS and his # is 215...

Anyone else have a similar experience?

(PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got these results on 5/5:

LINE # CERT # COIN DATE DENOMINATION COUNTRY GRADE
    5 21537148 1987-P 5C USA MS66FS
    6 21537149 1985-D 5C USA MS64FS
    7 21537150 1985-P 5C USA MS64FS
    8 21537151 1982-D 5C USA MS64FS
    9 21537152 1979 5C USA MS64FS
    10 21537153 1968-S 5C USA PR68DC

Naturally I thought these were *all* gems when I submitted them, but when I got them back only the '82-D seemed really undergraded - I thought it had a shot at 66. The two '85s were probably a little too dinged up for 65, especially for modern issues.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    So the first 3 digits of the cert # determine the grader? hmmm... interesting dedcution my dear watson.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options

<< <i>So the first 3 digits of the cert # determine the grader? >>

No, because every coin is seen by at least 2 graders.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    My first ever grading results! What I expected/hoped for!

1 21569922 1915-D 1C USA MS64RD
    2 21569923 1926-S 1C USA MS64RB

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only "bright spot" was that my 97P that I pulled out of a regular mint set came back SMS! >>

Ah yes, the standard "if it looks really good it must be an SMS" grading method.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file