Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Minor Gold Type Coins - Three Dollar Gold Pieces

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
In 1854 the U.S. Mint issued the first Three Dollar Gold Pieces. This unnecessary denomination never become popular, and the mintages were very low. The official purpose that was given for the coin was that it would facilitate paying for 100 three cent silver coins or purchasing 100 of the new three cent First Class Postage stamps.

During the first year, the word “DOLLARS” on the reverse was about half the size that it would be in subsequent years. The number “3” was also smaller. The difference is at least as significant as the change that was made to the Standing Liberty Quarter in 1925.

Interestingly a recycled die was used to strike the 1856 $3 gold Proof coins. It displayed the small “DOLLARS” under the large “DOLLARS.” Collector Harry Bass was the first to point that unusual feature out to the collecting community.

Three Dollar Gold Pieces are expensive, and certification is HIGHLY recommended because many counterfeits have been made through the years. Still this is an interesting subtype to collect.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    Other than type sets this is the only by date series I collect. Highly unrecognized, unloved and underappreciated.

Nice sized and they are gold! What's there not to like.

Couldn't agree more on the certifying via PCGS/NGC as the fakes are really really good!
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    Bill,
    I have several gold pieces in my collection, but I haven't added a $3 yet, in part because I haven't taken the time to learn about them. Thanks for the quick education and the great pictures.
    Brian
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Those look nice Bill! image Thx for the edjamacation!
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    For grading purposes, the 1854 on the left is an NGC MS-64. The 1879 on the right is an NGC MS-62. When I bought the 1879 in the early 1970s, the dealer from whom I purchased it graded it "Commercial Uncirculated." A fully Uncirculated piece would have cost me another $100, which seemed like a mountain at the time. If I had spent the extra $100, the resulting coin would have been worth a couple thousand dollars more today.

Both PCGS and NGC have about the same standards for these coins. In my view most any $3 gold that is graded from MS-60 to 63 is really Mint State. The best MS-63 I’ve ever seen was in an NGC holder. It was a full Unc., but I was moving and concerned about my cash flow at the time, and so did not buy it. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    43 coins in the series with two of them almost impossible to find and one impossible and a price of about $1,000 or more per coin for non ms it is not a series often collected other than as a type.
  • Options
    Yea, I've only met one Three Dollar Gold Piece collector in my time. It was back in the early 1970s when one could buy common dates in MS-63 and 64 (the grading numbers were not used for these coins then) for $400 to $450 each. A number of dates, like the 1879 shown above have micro mintages, but don't bring big premiums. The business strike mintage in 1879 was 3,000 + 30 Proofs. The small mintage was one of things that attracted me to the coin.

For a really rich, determined guy, the 1870-S would be the only stopper in the set. The rest can be done if you work the auctions or work with a really connected dealer.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I likes $3 gold. Don't got one yet.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>for $400 to $450 each. >>

Dang!

The $3 and Type II $1 are what keep me from completing my 12 piece gold type set in MS64
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Yea, but $10 to $12 grand a year was thought to be good salary back then ...
  • Options

Well that's true. I think I was making $1.85 an hour working after school at Kenny's Shoes back then
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    Here's mine. My dad bought it and other gold coins in the 70's for face value from a guy.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    Your dad really got the best of somebody. Even back in the early '70s a coin like that, which would have graded VF, was worth $150.00 or so. In fact the piece melted for a little over $5.00 when the gold price was pegged at $35.00 an ounce.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting and including the interesting historical references. This was the series that got me seriously reinterested in collecting. Here is a listing of my $3 gold pieces collected to date from "The Registry" for anyone interested:

4th Best Registry Set

P.S. For what it is worth the pop 5 1864 MS64 reportedly came from an old time collection and would likely upgrade on a resubmission. Only 3 have been graded higher than MS64 by PCGS.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BillJones

Thanks for the educational post and the pics of reverse of two very nice coins. wonderful luster on the 1854 with what I believe is a characteristic weakness in the "5". I've only owned one $3 for U.S. Gold Type Set. The obverse depiction of Lady Liberty is one of my favorites.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Lady Liberty? I thought it was a Indian Princess.
  • Options
    Indian Princess
    Honesty is the Best Policy!
  • Options
    Here are both sides of my new 1854 $3 gold piece. NGC graded this piece MS-64, and I totally agree with that grade. And, yes, I do think that the $3 gold piece is a handsome coin.

• Options
    Excluding the 1870-s there are 4 registered sets.

Depending on your definition of "rich" [i am not by any definition!] this set is do-able w/o the S mint 70. Not that many coins and w/o the 70-s the set of 40 fits nicely in two NGC or PCGS boxes!

For those wanting to start collect the series I suggest NOT doing a registry set and focus more on getting the dates/mints in good eye appeal condition from NGC/PCGS/ANACS in grades VF and above. There is no hurry and you can always upgrade. There are 4 currently registered sets none mine as I collect both services.

I am 8 coins from completion, that D mint is a killer on the purse but a realprize as it is the only D in the series. COins range in grade from VF30 to MS62, most are not MS as I like that slight worn look of non cleaned coins.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohbaby,

WOW! You are doing great. There are some seriously tough coins in the series, even aside from the 54-D. In the last year, it seems that the prices have also jumped significantly. The 54-O seems rather available, but pricy. The "S" mint coins (excluding the 70-S) are all fairly difficult to find in original (and no problem) condition, and when they appear, they disappear just as quickly. Then there are some tough Civil War dates (esp. 1865) and late 70's and early 80's dates (with low mintages). I think it is a challenging series to collect, one in which you need pretty deep pockets, but one that is very interesting. Congratulations on your success so far.
  • Options
    Thx RYK,
    The secret is to be ready to pull the trigger when coins you need appear. They seem to appear in bunches. Prices have moved higher, especially for the MS coins but XF and below remain reasonable. As you already know, finding them is the key. Who is hoarding these coins!!! Pops can't be right as I see some dates once every 2-3 years at any major auction and 2 major shows. But that makes the hunt that much more interesting.

I was in an upgrading mode but not with the recent higher prices in MS. I do snap up nice lower grade coins I already own in hopes of helping me finance that D mint! image

Believe it or not I have met dealers who think I am joking when I ask if they have $3 gold. Sometimes they say, "You mean bullion at $300 per oz.?" They have never heard of such a coin. Maybe it's better that way?
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Placid & Louiskeller

"Indian Princess"

Yes, Longacre choose a depiction of a Native American as symbolic of Liberty on the $3 gold pieces although according to Breen "its so-called Indian Princess head, so far from attempting to depict any Native American, is still another avatar of the Greco-Roman Venus Accroupie profile which had already served Longacre fo rthe Gol dollar and double eagle, though twith a feathered headdress supposed to emphasize national character".

BillJones

The NGC MS-64 is awesome!
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    The secret is to be ready to pull the trigger when coins you need appear.

That is universally true, but especially when it comes to this series. I have found myself pulling the trigger as fast as possible, but still being outgunned by someone else. image

• Options
    I can speak from experience that the population reports are all wrong on the 1854-D. Back when I lived in New England a dealer had a very nice AU piece. He told that that piece had been submitted at least three other times of which he was aware. That had obviously overstated the AU population, and if you look at the POP reports you would almost think that the coin was common. It's not. It's just that the same coins get sent in multiple times.
  • Options
    Relevant articles on $3's by Doug Winter:

Collecting $3's

54-D $3

I hope he publishes a book on the series soon!
  • Options

That 1854 is outstanding image
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file