Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Good deal or hoax?

I haven't learned how to post a link yet but if anyone gets a chance check out EBay item #3905303974 under 1921 Peace dollars. Opinions? Too good to be true?

Comments

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
  • Options
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Looks okay to me. He doesn't seem to be trying to deceive anyone as to the condition of the coin.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Looks like a 23p to me..

Whoo big picture I posted...

I'll try to post bigger..
  • Options
    That thought has occured to me. Sure wouldn't pay $135 for a '23. Maybe it's a removed "S" if it is in fact a '28 ?
  • Options
  • Options
    The 2 on a 1923 has a curved base. The 2 on the 1928 has a rather flat base.
    This one appears to match the 2 on a 1928.

However, who knows...perhaps they simply altered another date that has a flat 2 to become a 1928.

Seller doesn't state a return policy.....check on that before bidding.

Is it just me, or does the 1921 have a funky looking date? The numerals all look too fat.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    I didn't like the rim nicks on the '21 and I thought if the other coin was a '28 and I got it cheap I would make a profit and if it was altered no big deal as long as I didn't pay too much for them. Not quite the quality I am looking for though. I may not bid at all.
  • Options
    I zoomed in on the pic in photoshop and it's a 3 not an 8. I can't figure out how to save a zoomed picture in photoshop. It keeps saving it to 100%.
    ken,s the photo zoomer guy.

Tom
  • Options
    it's an 8
  • Options
    ss350: put my magnifier up to the screen and it looks as if there is a break in the 8.
  • Options
    I emailed the seller for a better pic. We'll see what happens.

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Hehe I asked someone once if it was a 3 or a 8 on a peace dollar in their pic and they got all bent about it.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two comments:

The 1921 looks cleaned at the neckline and has 4 rim nicks...I'd pass.

The 1928 in the photo is a 1923, I blew up the photo from the auction and you can clearly see it is a 3. Here is the blown up numeral from the auction photo;
  • Options
    My suspicions are confirmed. Thanks for your help guys.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    It doesn't matter for that auction. In the linked auction he is selling the 21 NOT the "1928". The "28" is being sold seperately.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    "I haven't learned how to post a link yet..."

After clicking on the "REPLY" button, click on the "http" button and enter the internet address.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    I got a reply from the seller. The coin IS a 1928. He guarantees it.
    The auction is somewhat confusing. He is selling two coins in SEPARATE auctions. The '21 is auction '21 Link
    and the '28 is auction '28 Link

His scan is not very good and the scanner light source has definately cause some wierd shadowing.

Good Luck to whomever decides to bid.
  • Options
    BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    Seller says: Here is my 1921 KEY DATE to go with the SUPER NICE 1928 I have on this week.
    The '28 is there just to get wood. He's really just selling the '21.

..here have a look at this gorgeous Porche.. now buy this VW.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    LOL big greek

Ill take the VW as I can rebuild a VW engine in 5 hours tops image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>It doesn't matter for that auction. In the linked auction he is selling the 21 NOT the "1928". The "28" is being sold seperately. >>

The photo of the "28" in BOTH auctions proves to be a "23" in BOTH photos. It is relevant to BOTH auctions because it displays the sellers disshonesty. Look at the picture I posted, how is that a 28? The seller is scammer.
  • Options
  • Options
    The pic you just posted is not from either of the auctions in question...nice try though image
  • Options
  • Options
    The coin the auction winner gets will be a 28 I'm sure. However it will not be the 28 in the auction because that coin is a 23. Unethical selling practices by all accounts. Perhaps there is a reason the seller does not want you to see the real 28 beforehand.....hhhmmm.....I wonder why? As for the blown up pictures it's true the resolution is not great but it is more than good enough to plainly see he is showing a 23 without doubt while advertising it as a 28. The world of coin collecting is full of rip offs and scam artists and regardless of what his feedback is this is either a scam or a rip off. One has to be extremely careful, especially when buying raw coins on eBay...that is why we here try to help one another in finding these unethical creatures. If you are so sure about it's authenticity I urge you to win the aucion. LOL

Another thing I just notice: nice how he has supersize picture option on the 21 auction but not the 28 auction LMAO Guess he doesn't want you to get a close look at the 23, woops I mean 28.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Well-after a great deal of thought-I feel strongly both waysimage
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    dude you blow my mind LOL. go ahead and buy the coin and lose yer arse on it. have a blast LMMFAO

I wash my hands of it.
  • Options
    Looks like I started some controversy. I'm with Cladiator. The 1928 P "ss350" posted does not look like the one in the auction. I'm not bidding on this one. At least we can all agree how confusing this seller's auction is. Question is, how does his feedback stay so good?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Well here's a 23 that I thought was a 28(see pic below)

After Ken did an excellent job zooming in on the date it was a 23.

I'll have to agree with clad about this threads auction. The 1928 pic posted in the auction is a 23.

SS..The picture the seller sent to you that you posted in my opinion does not look like it's a pic of the date of the coin that's shown in the auction. Yes it is a pic of a 28(your pic)...but what's bothering me about that picture is were the neck cuts into the top of the "9", there should be to marks to the upper left of the "2" on the field and the cardboard holder tab is not in the correct position on second picture. The only thing that matches in my eyes is the small dot to the right of the "8"

Everyone has their opinion, but look at the picture below and see what it looks like...I'm sure alot of folks will say 28 at first glance, but it isn't.

Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file