Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Our new article on "Ten Ways to Add Value to Your Coin Collection"...

Comments

• Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Good advice.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    nepbrs44nepbrs44 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing!
    Bill.

Bust Half & FSB Merc Collector
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    I especially like this one:

"Write A Book on Your Specialty: Some of the most successful collectors have increased the awareness of their specialty by writing a book about it. This is especially useful for a series about which there is little or no current information. Many of the most popular numismatic references have been written by collectors. These books have not only made their collections more valuable but they have also provided their authors with a great sense of accomplishment."

Makes sense and adds to our hobby. Also, don't be shy - put your address, email address and your busines phone number in there.

OK, Mark, what book are you going to write?

adrian
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Nice Clear, concise suggestions Mark. thanks for posting.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>OK, Mark, what book are you going to write? >>

Adrian, what makes you think it hasn't already been written? Just kiddingimage
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Good reading. Good advice.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>There are some tricks involved with regarding your coins and we strongly suggest that you discuss them with an experienced professional before you just starting randomly removing your coins from their holders >>

I guess I'm not surprised you recommend the crack-out game, but is it necessary to advise people not to randomly remove coins from their holders? image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Mark:

Thanks for sharing the article. But to be honest, it took me aback a little bit when I read the first entry - "Regrade Your Coins". It seems to me that if you really want to add value to your collection, you would first want to learn as much as you could about your collection and not necessarily rely on someone else to tell you whether you had "good stuff" or not. *The first thing that came to mind is the quintesential little old lady that comes into the coinshop with a baggie full of old coins asking the dealer if they're worth anything.

Reading the article further, it seems that the underlying assumption is that one already knows something about their collection and coins in general, but then this would take me back to the whole notion of why would I want to spend a bunch of money having a set of '32 through '64 Washingtons that were graded back in the 90's, if 90% of them would grade MS63 or less.

Overall good suggestions, but I think more emphasis should be placed on increasing one's knowledge of the hobby AND THEN doing some of the things the article suggests.

Yours truly, from the desk of someone who doesn't know anything about grading, image

Frank
  • Options
    What about these ways to make your coins more valuable (at least when selling on ebay...)

1. Take your slab pictures at an angle
    2. Put "PQ" in the auction title and write it on the 2x2 or as a "PQ" sticker on the slab. Better yet, get it slabbed that way!
    3. Send it to NTC first to the the MS70 slab
    4. Give it a good shine / whiz / dip
    5. Quote all comparison prices for raw and 3rd world slabs from the PCGS online price guide
    6. Become a powerseller

Dave - Durham, NC
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    11. Buy them raw cheap, submit them and make them expensive.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting as always.

Write a book. Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Great article, I always check any post by "coinguy1"

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    1. Regrade Your Coins:
    6. Register Your Set on the PCGS and/or NGC Registries

Mark, you getting commission on this suggestion? image
    I would change it to: Regrade your coins if you plan on selling them soon. Otherwise, you can throw more money down the toilet in another 5 years when you need to regrade them again.

Fill Your Holes

I beg your pardon!
    Seriously though. Please explain how this makes it more saleable. I don't think I've ever seen a full, nice set (other than moderns, like Jeffs, Roosies, etc.) sell intact. Either the keys are sold separately and the rest sold intact, or the whole thing is broken up piece by piece.

Write A Book on Your Specialty

Just wondering... What series currently do not have a decent reference text?
  • Options
    HootHoot Posts: 867
    Great advice, Mark. I think that FC57Coins hits the nail on the head, however, when it comes to personal knowledge of coins. A person must study their specialyty to death if they wish to have the knowledge basis of even understanding what you're talking about. With that assumption, your article stands as great advice. Thanks.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Mark

meant with the best of intentions...............why not just cut/paste the "Ten Ways" without a link to your website?? it may sound like i'm splitting hairs but it seems like this is similar to a while back when you discussed/pictured coins still actively listed at your site. the link takes us to the "Ten Ways" and then to your.................

al h.image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good article and dammit I am going to write a book. A book about William IV shillings is long overdue.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In expect that I know the author of this article, image. Largely excellent advice. I do not think the point was to do everything listed. These are just some suggestions to enjoy your collecting experience more, and possibly, improve the value of your collection. Pick those that are appropriate for your circumstances.

What series currently do not have a decent reference text?

One dollar gold pieces
    Three dollar gold pieces
    San Francisco gold (1854-1933)
    Indian $5's and $10's
    Saint Gaudens $20's
  • Options
    Thanks, that was very helpful.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK:

Philadelphia gold needs a decent reference and it will happen someday.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Solid advice, and a good mental checklist. I particularly like the acknowledgement that grading, attribution, and designations have evolved and it would be beneficial to the collector/owner to be aware of it.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Good article Mark.image

>>>>In expect that I know the author of this article, image<<<<

RYK.... You know the author very well..... DWimage
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YUP! Interesting as always Mark - thanks for sharing

Marc
  • Options

Thanks for the replies, folks.

<< <i>I guess I'm not surprised you recommend the crack-out game, but is it necessary to advise people not to randomly remove coins from their holders? >>

Sorry, Relayer - I guess it does make it less fun to eliminate the randomness of the crack-outs.image

Frank, I think you made some excellent points in your critique - learning, knowledge and self reliance are, indeed, highly recommended! However, most of the article was written for people who have already put together collections and suggestions made regarding what should be done AFTER the fact.

<< <i>Mark, you getting commission on this suggestion? >>

I'll never tell, Barryimage

<< <i>I would change it to: Regrade your coins if you plan on selling them soon. Otherwise, you can throw more money down the toilet in another 5 years when you need to regrade them again >>

I agree - excellent point.

<< <i>"Fill Your Holes"
    Seriously though. Please explain how this makes it more saleable. I don't think I've ever seen a full, nice set (other than moderns, like Jeffs, Roosies, etc.) sell intact. Either the keys are sold separately and the rest sold intact, or the whole thing is broken up piece by piece. >>

Even if the set is not sold intact (some, even large and/or very costly ones are sold that way, believe it or not), if it is complete, it is often more appealing to the would-be buyers, whether they are buying individual pieces or the entire set.

<< <i>why not just cut/paste the "Ten Ways" without a link to your website?? >>

Keets, I strongly considered that and have done so in the past. However, when I do it that way it affects the layout and the presentation of the article negatively. Bottom line, it doesn't look nearly as nice.

• Options
    For me, the best advice from the article is:

Admit Your Mistakes and Sell Your "Dogs": No collector is perfect and everyone has bought some coins that, in retrospect, they wish they didn’t own. Our advice is to get rid of the coins you don’t like. You might be able to trade two or three ugly pieces (or nice coins that no longer fit into your collection) for one piece that makes your collection much better.

Nothing stinks up the joint more than a coin you no longer want or like. Every time you look at it, you suffer anger, humiliation, regret, despair, etc. I cull my collection each year. It is quite therapeutic, funds new purchases, and makes me more numismatically content.

Robert
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If I sell all my dogs, I will just be left with cats.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    EXCELLENT, thanks
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    coinguy1, why do you ALWAYS seem to measure "value" of a coin collection in terms of DOLLARS?

for example, here's a basically FREE way to add value to your coins:

attribute them - you might own an interesting variety.

note the added value is not necessarily one of financial "value", but numismatic appreciation instead.

K S
  • Options
    not that i'm not necessarily a cynic, but here's how a cynic MIGHT interpret your "article":

Regrade Your Coins: translation: give more $ to plastic co's

Review Your Holdings with a Professional: translation: show your coin inventory to pinnacle in case you got some coins they need

Admit Your Mistakes and Sell Your "Dogs": translation: you suck as a collector, you need pinnacle's help

Attribute Your Coins: translation: if you have a rare variety, sell it to pinnacle

Improve Your Keys: translation: spend more $ w/ pinnacle on upgrading your coins

Register Your Set on the PCGS and/or NGC Registries: translation: spend more $ on coin upgrades from pinnacle so your registry set will be "competitive"

Fill Your Holes: translation: spend more $ at pinnacle - they've got the keys!

Trace Your Coin’s Pedigree: translation: give more $ to plastic co's to put pedigress on your plastic holders

Write A Book on Your Specialty: translation: it's so easy to write a book anyone can do it. even you!

Designate Your Coins: translation: give more $ to plastic co's on upgrading your slabs

finally, needless to say, pinnacle would be happy to help you “fine tune” your collection and invite you to call us at (800) 724-7642.

hmm, almost comes across as ADVERTISING when read like that.

K S
  • Options
    Ouch.

Karl: not that i'm not necessarily a cynic Well, I think that we all know and love you as a bit of a cynic. I think that you were reading too deeply into Mark's article. There is some valid and interesting info in the article. Sure, it's a bit commercial, but it's no different than reading an article in Numismatic News that is spread out between several pages of advertisements. Just look past the advertisements and extract the information that is of interest to you.

www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Karl, you're not a nice person.

Coinguy1 has shared his knowledge and expertise on this forum than anyone else. Those of us who aren't as brilliant and enlightened as you appreciate this. So what if there's a subliminal message to help his business? You give a little, you take a little.
  • Options
    actually barry, i'm not brilliant, & i am a nice person.

but what coinguy1 linked to is NOT an "article", it's ad copy. & it's not subliminal, either, it's blatant. he's done it a lot.

why not just call it what it is? what's wrong w/ "Our new advertisement describing Ten Ways..."

K S
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mark. Some of you need to CHILL
  • Options
    Dorkkarl...I agree with you 100%. Though it IS an interesting read, and the advice IS right on, at the same time it IS ad copy....nuff said

MFS
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'
  • Options
    In order that no forum member feels he or she is being hit with "ad copy" I will stop posting such links.

Anyone who wishes to be made aware of future articles, ad copy, whatever you wish to call it - please feel free to PM me and I will be happy to send future links to you by PM.
  • Options
    In order that no forum member feels he or she is being hit with "ad copy" I will stop posting such links. image

Or maybe I will post them.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    please don't stop posting such links, Mark, based on the (over)- reaction of a (hyper) sensitive individual or two.... IMO your post was on THIS side of the line between information and advertising. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>please don't stop posting such links, Mark, based on the (over)- reaction of a (hyper) sensitive individual or two.... IMO your post was on THIS side of the line between information and advertising. >>

Mark: I agree with Baley's quote above. Please reconsider maintaining your current profile, and some educational web links are OK by me image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In order that no forum member feels he or she is being hit with "ad copy" I will stop posting such links.

Anyone who wishes to be made aware of future articles, ad copy, whatever you wish to call it - please feel free to PM me and I will be happy to send future links to you by PM. >>

My initial reaction was that the original post was close to the line. But as was stated
    earlier a cut and paste would have messed it up. We all know how important a well-
    organized format is.image

The most important thing is that this kind of interesting article is available to the board.
    It's not reasonable to expect a reformat of such material so I withdraw any objection I
    may have had.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh PLEASE Mark, please don't stop posting your educational links to your site. Please? I have your site bookmarked in my favorites, but I would hate to go there by myself..... that's pretty scary for a guy like me. Please Mark will you re-consider? Who is Mark anyway?
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    so Mark decides to post somethign of interest, and gets slammed out of the park because the article is on his website.

this is a tough crowd
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Mark: very beneficial article (at least, for me). dorkkarl: I think you're a cynic, but that's OK too.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    Mark, Please continue to post "links" to these very interesting and beneficial articles! Thanks!!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    a great article

i liked it!!

all reasonable suggestions for collectors

please keep posting these threads mark!!

bottom line for all readers

simply

use what you want to and leave the rest

michael

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Some folks on this Forum need to take a glass of warm

milk in the evening to settle their cynical nerves. When the moon and

stars come out at night, I guess its really an ad for Procter and Gamble.

God must be on the take.image

I found the article interesting and I dont really need to "anaylize this or that"

tp enjoy the articles content. In the most technical terms, some people here

are POO POO HEADS!
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I can't believe someone would be cynical of Mark posting this very informative article that is posted on Pinnacles website! I'm sure there are many here that already know alot of the suggestions made in the article but there are also alot of neophytes that post to these boards that don't know alot about coins and need to learn! That is obvious when you look at Ebay and see all of the "soon to be" losers placing bids on the crap that's offered there.

Sure I'm biased you bet, but I've been dealing with Mark and the people at Pinnacle for years and have gained more knowledge from Mark in those years and it has saved me a ton of money and alot of mistakes.
  • Options

<< <i>In order that no forum member feels he or she is being hit with "ad copy" I will stop posting such links.

Anyone who wishes to be made aware of future articles, ad copy, whatever you wish to call it - please feel free to PM me and I will be happy to send future links to you by PM.
    >>

you know that's just evading the point, which is simply, if your gonna advertise, advertise, but call it advertisement.

<< <i>so Mark decides to post somethign of interest, and gets slammed out of the park because the article is on his website. >>

read the thread again. the slam was because he deceptively called his "advertisement" an "article"

let me elaborate. an article to most coin collectors would be something describing new information, or new insights on existing information. do you really think that regurgitating the same old tired reasons to spend more $$$ on coins (slabed of course) really qualifies as an "article"? NO, it's ADVERTISING.

nothing wrong w/ it, but for chrissake, call it what it is.

K S
  • Options

<< <i>let me elaborate. an article to most coin collectors would be something describing new information, or new insights on existing information. do you really think that regurgitating the same old tired reasons to spend more $$$ on coins (slabed of course) really qualifies as an "article"? NO, it's ADVERTISING >>

Karl, you have accused me of misrepresenting "advertising" as an article. While I think you were unfair in calling my actions "deceptive", I am content to let the chips fall where they may and let people decide that for themselves.

However the "advertisement" lists 10 different suggestions, only 2 or 3 of which would involve "the same old tired reasons to spend more $$$ on coins" as you put it. You seem to have conveniently chosen to ignore the other points which do not necessarily involve spending any $.

And many of the suggestions would apply to non-slabbed coins, as well as slabbed ones, contrary to your implication of "slabbed of course". The fact that we buy and sell slabbed coins does not mean that we can't and don't give legitimate advise regarding non-slabbed ones.

I know from experience, that no one can win a debate with you so I wont try. You have said your piece, I have said mine and you are free to have the last word on the subject, more than once even, if you so choose.

Thanks to those of you who came to my defense, as well as to those who spoke honestly about their problems with my posting what I did. I would certainly rather know (than not know) that things like that bother some of you.

I will NOT post links to future "ads". Again, please feel free to PM me if you would like to be made aware of them - even you Karl.image
  • Options
    coinguy1, don't be such a wussy and let someone by the name of DorkKarl push you around. Post whatever you want to post and don't try to tailor it to meet the needs and desires of others. You can't please everyone. For the most part, it looks like the majority of the forum members want to read your advertisements....uh, I mean threads. image
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    sorry you feel that way. you ignored the initial reason that i used to frame my attack, which was

"why do you ALWAYS seem to measure "value" of a coin collection in terms of DOLLARS?"

i'm sorry, but this seems to be the overriding theme of your "ten ways", ie. "value" of your collection derives from how much $$$ you spend.

& when it comes across merely as ways to add more FINANCIAL value ONLY, YES it sounds like advertising.

K S
  • Options
    ok, cease-fire on my side.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file