Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Am I a traitorous swine???

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey, I just signed up at NGC as a paying member. It's more for need than anything else since I'm a firm believer that each of the services, even the lowest tier companies, have a purpose. For me, it's So-Called Dollars, medals and tokens which PCGS refuses to holder or even to answer questions about concerning why/why not holder them. This shouldn't be construed as a complaint, but why not holder U.S. Mint Products, products designed, engraved and struck by U.S. Mint employees at U.S. Mint facilities? That's the primary service that I seek from NGC, though they'll get more.

So if you see anything about "The NewMadison Collection" you'll know it's me!!image

Al H.image

Comments

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I joined NGC a few months ago. I got my first submission back in about 3 weeks. 19 coins, 3 came back 70.

What I like about NGC:

1) Quick turn around times (I guess PCGS has too many submissions)
    2) Modern coins go back to 1955
    3) $11 for moderns
    4) They give 70's to coins that deserve the grade

Faster, better, cheaper - good reasons to switch
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    No, just a swine.image
    Actually, you have to take your business to someone who performs the services you request. It is by no means a bad option.
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    I like their holders better, and there's nothing like a nice holder!

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    NGC gets a lot of bad press over here, but I think they're a fine company.

I probably have an equal number of NGC slabs as I do PCGS slabs.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To at least a small degree anything that helps one grading company will help them all.
    Unless you're married to one of them or have some other overriding self interest than
    you're better off doing what's best for you.

Not all of the so called dollars were struck at the US mint, of course though these do pre-
    dominate in part 1.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ...........and i have almost exclusively PCGS, NGC and ANACS according to what i need the coin to be in the holder for. as a sidenote, i called up PCGS first to renew my membership and found it wasn't up til next month. now i have time to squeeze in another submission before my old one expires. as usual, both company's customer service reps were pleasant and helpful. who says there's no room at the top for more than one??

oh yeah, i almost forgot about Jeff. OINK, OINK!!!!!!!!image

al h.image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I hate to admit it, but I love the turn around time and that moderns go to 1955 also! Until PCGS gets the turn around times back to normal, my moderns got to NGC!

Yes Lucy, I know... More PCGS for you!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    hey Sam

i didn't mean to infer that all the SCD's are mint products. quite to the contrary, the overwhelming majority are probably the product of private entrprise with some having mint prepared dies or having been struck on mint presses at a mint display. however, some were designed and engraved by people such as Morgan/Barber/St. Gaudens and then struck in Philadelphia. PCGS needs to honor that and start holdering them. there is no logical reason why they should holder the newly released Wildlife Series and not the ones that predated them by more than a century.

al h.image
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Keets, let's not give PCGS any ideas here. I'm on day 64, and you want to add MORE work to their schedule.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    HootHoot Posts: 867
    "Quick turn around times (I guess PCGS has too many submissions)"

Just to note: NGC has had a greater volume of coins than PCGS for the last couple of years.

NGC is full of nice people who are customer oriented. Great to do business with. They do a superb job with grading and I especially like what they are now doing with Jefferson nickels.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file