Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

civil war token buffs help please! anyone with a red book handy!

greeting to all :

I just ebay sold this civil war token (under $ 20.00)

then I get a "helpful" person after the sale informing me that my civil war token is listed in the "red book" as a fake or counterfiet.

his statement and i quote "your coin has "NOT oNE SENT" thats how to tell its a fake.

he said it was made in 1966 not 1863 .....i told him it says CENT not SENT and that i'd check with you guy's

his he right? is it a fake? i can email anyone much larger pictures....i just can't do it here.image

any helps appreciated...thanks, mike image

Comments

• Options
    I don't know that one exactly but many have "not one cent" I would buy it as real.
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭
    Using an old "Fuld"book,It looks like;

Obv 87,Rev356

Looks real to me.

By the way,It's an R2.
    NUMO
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    whats a r2?
  • Options
    How rare it is;

R2=common
    NUMO
  • Options
    thanks ...

as this guy said "its in the red book as a fake"

do you have a red book ? if so can you tell me what it say's (if it indeed say's anything about civil war token fakes)
  • Options
    All the 2004 Redbook says is, a few of the imitations have the word "NOT" in very smalll letters above the words " ONE CENT". Hope this helps.

Midus
  • Options
    THANKS Midus

those are not very small letters!image

only very slightly smaller! (nearly the same size)
  • Options
    You don't have a Red Book?

2003 red book,page 308.

These tokens are of great variety in composition and desing. A number were more or less faithful imitations of copper-nickel cent. A few of this type have the word"not" in very small letters above the words"one cent."

Your in the good imho.
    NUMO
  • Options
    i will by tomorrow night!
  • Options
    It's realy a trade token you have.
    NUMO
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Your token is for real. It is a common reverse found on many Civil War Tokens.

There are about 35 different reverse "Not One Cent" dies listed in in the Fulds book on Patriotic Tokens which yours is an example of.

Many CWT tokens also carry the longer version of the slogan which is "Millions for Defense - Not One Cent for Tribute"

Other centless varieties are "Not One Cent for the Widows" and "I.O. U. One Cent"

There were also many tokens that survive today where the "Not" was crossed out by those attempting to pass it off as a real Indian head cent.

There is also one funny CW-Token that has a dogs head on one side and on the other side it says "Good for a Scent" image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an example of the "Good for a Scent" die by Joseph Merriam. There are several varieties of Civil War tokens that include this die. Only one of them, which is Merriam's own store card is at all common. All the rest are quite rare.

This one is paired with the salamander variety, which is listed as MA 115-D-2b. This one is quite scarce with only 15 to 20 examples known. It is very popular among advanced Civil War collectors. This token is worth somewhere in the $2,500 neighborhood.

The “Not One Cent” token that started this thread is worth $14 to $18.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭
    It's real. Ignore the "helpful" person's email.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Thanks for posting that image Bill...thats a nice token! image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    thanks guy's!image
  • Options
    When your "helpful" person read this, < A number were more or less faithful imitations of copper-nickel cent. A few of this type have the word"not" in very small letters above the words"one cent." > He misinterpted it to mean that if it had the word NOT it was a "More or less faithful imitation" of a CWT. Not that the tokens were imitations of a regular cent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file