Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I was reading the Federalist Papers and came upon this cool numismatic quote by James Madison. You

" No state shall coin money, emit bills of credit, or make anything but gold or silver a tender in all payments of debts".
James Madison.

I wonder what he would think of clad quarters and Paypal, or other modes of electronic funds transfer.
I have always touted tangibles. , but if precious metals are finite in their existence, then how can a growing population and demand in credit be backed by gold and silver. I think at the time, the Americas had a combined population of about 5,000,000. Try 280,000,000 people now, with a 6 billion people global economy. I say we pan for more gold!!! Who's with me? Get your pans and axes and lets head for Alaska.!image

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Them's is fightin' words. where's Cladking?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Precious metals have no intrinsic value of their own. Value is a culturally agreed-upon principle.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Since gold is used in computer chips and is a great conductor of electricity, exceedinlgly maleable , and used for fillings in dentistry and jewelry, it has real application and so does silver. Right?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seriously doubt that Alaskans would welcome 280 million gold diggers.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Value is value, intrinsic or not. If we all agreed that MS68 1940 cents are worth $20,000 dollars, we could have an economy based on them.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Gold and Silver both have all kinds of uses, but their uses don't necessarily equate with their value as bullion. That's determined by a number of complicated factors. I only meant to point out that everything is in the eye of the beholder. Remember the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy", where the Kalahari Bushman is paid for his services and simply dumps the money into the desert on his way home? It was totally useless to him.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    mgoom3:
    I agree , its all about psychology. So is consumer confidence. Thats why 1881S Morgans in the 80's were $300 a pop. Now they are $85
  • Options
    John Z:
    Beam me up my brotha!image
  • Options
    In fact that was a big debate for the first 150 years or so of our country, and why many people argued against the gold standard. Some wanted to move to a silver standard even. Of course FDR took us off in order for the government to spend what it didn't have and inflation is something we've had to deal with ever since.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is very similar wording in the Constitution.

The supply of gold has fairly well mirrored the growth of the country but has not done so
    evenly. Gold production soared in the 1880's and in fits and starts at other times. Whether
    or not fiat money is constitutional there are a couple of relevant considerations; gold based
    currencies can be dramatically affected by real or percieved changes in gold supply and small
    change like the current quarter has always been made in base metals. Electronic transfers
    could be based on precious metals if such a monetary system were still in use.

Some believe Venus may have vast quantities of gold. Its density is much higher than the Earth.image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Cladking:

I am all for manned space exploration. Lets go!image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " No state shall coin money, emit bills of credit, or make anything but gold or silver a tender in all payments of debts".

That quote has nothing to do with the Federal government. It refers to STATES.

Same with the Constitution. It reads as follows:

Section. 10.
    Clause 1: No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    There is of course the omnipresent debate as to whether state refers to a "state" or a state as generically used to any governed peoples., ie Greek city states, the state of Israel, or the state as a "state" , as the United States of America, but that is a constitutional debate vis. a vis. states rights.
    LOLimage. Enjoying history to the max.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same clause says that states may not coin money or enter into treaties. Therefore, it clearly doesn't refer to the Federal government.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Precious metals have no intrinsic value of their own. Value is a culturally agreed-upon principle >>

I agree that this is true, and that people can decide that anything is valuable, even Beanie Babies.

However, these precious metals seem to have gained a cross-generational, cross-cultural degree of value that may have no intrinsic basis but nonetheless exists.

In other words, everyone seems to think that gold/silver have value, therefore it does, and that doesn't seem like it's going to change.

I say, go with the flow! image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they should have written the State-ist Papers too!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    I am more fascinated by the image of mining facilities on Venus , as Cladking has planted that image in my mind.
    I am not sure if Venus has a hard surface or if its gaseous. I am starting to remember the scifi novels that I read about terraforming.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It won't be easy to get gold off the planet. Surface temperatures average 400 degrees
    fahrenheit. There isn't a real temperate zone.

Mercury is also dense and does have a temperate zone.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Brian

if you think you can last in Alaska, i say go for it. the average person would be hard-pressed to last the winter in all but the most southern populated areas.

al h.image
  • Options
    Not a chance. I live in Tampa Bay, its the same axiom that is used when the Buccs play GreenBay at Lambo. We are whimps when it comes to weather.
  • Options
    Next stop Venus. All aboard!

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    But... the value of our (paper) currency - ergo... value of the dollar is not related to precious metals anymore.

Odd concept isn't it? It's only as good as its promise.

Speaking of gold - I read somewhere that something on the order of 90% of the gold that has ever been
    mined in the history of mankind lies at the bottom of relatively shallow water? Now THAT is something that
    could get me hopping. Finding an "Atocha" imageimageimage

"Thud"
    (annoying sound of reality stepping back in)

Edit: afterthought.
    You could substitute "Finding an Atocha" with "winning the lottery" - I think the odds of each are roughly
    equivalent of those of being struck directly on the head by an asteroid. image
  • Options

<< <i>The same clause says that states may not coin money or enter into treaties. Therefore, it clearly doesn't refer to the Federal government. >>

Also if you try to assume that it DOES refer to the Federal or "Central " government then it says that the central government should not coin or "create" a money supply! Well then who should create the money supply for the nation? The private sector? No, the quote and clause clearly refers to the individual states, not the Federal government. So clad coinage and fiat paper do NOT violate that clause in the Constitution since there is no requirement that the Federal government must stick to gold and silver. They can make anything they want a legal tender.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, limiting the power of the states what one of the major reforms that was part of the Constitution. Under the Articles of Confederation the states had the right to set up their own monetary systems. The result was chaos, and it was one of the factors, along with a drop in immigration, that made the decade of the 1780s a period of “hard times.”

As for the gold standard, all that does is limit the amount of money that a government can place in circulation at a certain period of time. That limit may or may not prevent inflation and provide for a stable monetary system. If there were a glut of gold available, as there was in California in the 1850s, inflation would occur. If there were a shortage of gold, there would be deflation, which often results in economic recessions and depressions.

The enlightened modern approach is to regulate the money supply to the proper level that will maintain stable wages and prices. That’s easier said that done, and Alan Greenspan has probably come closer than anyone to doing it correctly, but that is preferred course
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file