Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ebay is for gutless wimps

I've been sniped again!! Not because I was trying to get a coin for cheap, quite the contrary. The bid with several minutes to go was $341. I really wanted this coin (I know Rella is laughing right now) and bid strongly. In fact I was so worried about getting sniped that I bid $425. Then I thought, "Put in the bid to make sure you get the coin". So I then re-entered a max bid of $450, just for insurance. With one second to go, and I checked the bid history it was ONE second, I get sniped at $457!!! Little weasel!! Too afraid to go toe to toe so he sucker punches me. I give up with ebay.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Bitter, table for one! image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    If you were willing to pay more you should have bid more. The lot goes to the highest bidder. image

• Options
    Life is merely a series of choices. He chose to bid higher than you and got the coin.....Ken
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    457 was probably the next bid increment. His/her max could have been much higher.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it makes you feel any better, I have a loosing streak on ebay that just cannot be matched... it doesn't bother me because I do much better at shows.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    It can be an exercise in frustration ... there were only three lots on eBay over the weekend in which I was really interested and bid nearly $300 on two of them and $150 on one other, only to be outsniped by the same buyer on all three lots -- who is this birbo and his thirst for 1936 to mid-'50s proofs, anyway? I wasn't even close and put in what I thought were strong bids ... both birbo and an underbidder climbed over me. You never know.
  • Options
    you should check the bid history

if you had $450 and it sold at $457 - then there were 2 other bidders that got you

or else it would have closed at $451

if you really want those - think what you would be willing to pay - and then double it - make the snipers bid very strong to "steal" your coinimage
  • Options
    If that was your max, then move on. If not, bid higher next time.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    The classic weenie bidder/ cry baby thread. Gee, I haven't seen one of these in a long time!
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Cheap, cheap, cheap....put in a REAL bid if you really want the coin.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough crowd tonight. image

Ken
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last coin I got for $260 with a max bid of $500 - the under bidder is the "gutless wimp"......image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
  • Options

Wow, tough crowd. My point is this, how many of you at a live heritage auction jump up a yell out your max bid? I would imagine very few bid in this manner. It is wiser to bid more conservatively to assess the competition, bidding with the increments. If there is competition, then bid accordingly to your max. ebay allows for no assessment of the competition. I took the bid from $300 to $450 to try to assess the competition, if any. I would hardly call that weenie bidding. It would be different if I bed $310 and then whined about getting sniped. I would have placed other bids after seeing further competition at $450. In this case the seller loses.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I took the bid from $300 to $450 to try to assess the competition >>

What you really did was telegraph your maximum to the competition. It was you who got assessed, not they.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Really if you wanted the coin why not place a higher bid with a few seconds left in the auction. Your max bid at this time would tell if you were willing to pay what another person was willing to pay.

Ken
  • Options
    Fairlaneman, stop with the GOOD advice...that's a "super secret" not to be shared!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    Sorry......image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for ebay... often times it is better to just turn the computer off and go to a coin show... you get to see in person what you are buying.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>As for ebay... often times it is better to just turn the computer off and go to a coin show... you get to see in person what you are buying. >>

Maybe for some people but around here you get to see the same stuff you have seen a hundred times over. Ebay Rocks in this part of the country.

Ken
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Get a beer, relax, and wait for the next one. One thing I learned about ebay: There's almost always another coin just like the one you lost coming down the road. If it doesn't show up again, go to a coin show like Baltimore, FUN, or Long Beach.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options

Glad I was able to provide you all with some fodder for the evening. I'll see what I can come up with for tomorrow. If I ever need to settle a score at least I'll know where to find a bunch of tough guys.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭
    "I would have placed other bids after seeing further competition at $450. In this case the seller loses. "

The buyer could care less about the seller. The buyer wins. If you want to play eBay learn to snipe.
    90% of my bids are placed with a sniping program. Set your max bid and walk away. This way you
    don't broadcast that you are interested in the coin.

Onlyroosies
  • Options
    Jack -- we really love you -- you should see what we pen for Tonecoin 2003!!!image
  • Options
    you didn't take the item from $300 to $450 - someone else had already bid $450 then

if you go to some $3 item that has a start price of $3 and put in your max bid of say $1000 - you may very well get it with the opening bid price

if you go to the same item and bid $3 and then bid again $30 then bid again $300 - it will have at least 3 bids but you may still get it at $3

so these gutless wimops either have deeper pockets or know how to play the game better - my feeling is deeper pockets
  • Options
    Jack...GET SNIPER...+....ô¿ô....POP....ô¿¤....DONE...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

imageimageimage

This has got to be THE funniest thing that I have seen on these boards!!!!!!!
    jacktheknife,I salute thee!!!!!!!!!
    "so precious life is! even to the old the hours are as a miser's coins!"
    Thomas Aldrich
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

imageimageimage

This has got to be THE funniest thing that I have seen on these boards!!!!!!!
    jacktheknife,I salute thee!!!!!!!!! >>

CORRECTION!! TWQG gets the credit,I'm sorry.
    "so precious life is! even to the old the hours are as a miser's coins!"
    Thomas Aldrich
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I've got to give Lucille credit. I think I swiped it from one of her posts.image
  • Options
    It sounds like you got caught up in a little bidding fever by even increasing your bet to $425, probably more than you wanted to pay in the first place. Who knows what the other guy's maximum bid was? He did you a favor.
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Jack,

Me laughing at you? Never! OK maybe just a little bit...but now adding this makes it even better.

If you just woulda given up on that last 36-S and chased the 35-S from the same seller you wouldn't be in this spot. BTW...what would you pay for a 35-S right now?

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    If I ever need to settle a score at least I'll know where to find a bunch of tough guys.

Hah! I only think I'm tough. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options

Rella,
    I don't know why, but you always get me to grin ever so slightly and shake my head. I should have figured you'd come up with some icing for the cake. We'll, like Cameron suggested, I'm just movin' on. Done getting my undies in a bundle over an ass-whoopin' on ebay and another ass-whoopin over here!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file