Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guess the Grade on this Morgan

What is your guess on this 1885-CC Morgan? I got back my grades yesterday. For those of you who already know, please do not participate.

Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
imageimage
Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.

Comments

What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭
    MS63 ?

Rob the Newbie
    Rob the Newbie
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Can you get a worse picture? image
    64?
  • Sorry about the picture. I'm still working on my photography skills. image
    imageimage
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    64 probably in a 5 holder.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • ms64image
    Michael
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    That coin isn't even a 63 on a good day IMO,,,,,, MS61
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    63PL, the PL bumps it up.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS62 because I hardly ever see them grade these 60 or 61.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • MS63
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chattery like a 62/63... CC bump to 64 for the luster
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Dragon was correct, she is MS61. I was looking for an "inexpensive" one, and I found this. She has a pretty large hit below the eye that my poor photography skills didn't capture. She didn't quite get PL, but was close. She also has a couple of die cracks which I normally don't like.

imageimage
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I kinda said 61. Serious, I very seldom see them grade these 60 or 61. Usually they just put a 62 on it.

From what I've seen for quite some time anyway.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    I don't even know how you could grade from the picture looks like half her hair is missing. image
  • MS 61
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first picture had me thinking MS-64 holder, MS-63 coin. The second picture, which shows up MUCH better has me thinking MS-62 coin in MS-61 holder. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • My guess was ms63. Now that I see the holder, and the much larger pic...... I still think it should be at least 62 (for a CC).
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • I was going to say MS-62......I'm getting better at this Morgan grading.
  • Thank you all for your kind comments. I got her last year raw for only $260 because she was relatively cheap and still nice looking (good luster, decent strike, and semi-PL fields). I could not afford one already slabbed. I took these pictures with a 5 megapixel camera in macro mode set to 1 megapixel resolution because I'm having problems trying to keep the file size down (still learning).
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file