Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Nice ones Bill, I have the Lion. How do you tell the date on it. VTS

edited to add pictures
  • Options
    Danged if I know how to read the Arabic and figure out the date. Anyone else out there know?

My picture of the Matonas sucks. The coin is much better than this image shows.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Neat French coin. 1.5 Euros is an odd denomination too.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Danged if I know how to read the Arabic and figure out the date. Anyone else out there know?

My picture of the Matonas sucks. The coin is much better than this image shows. >>

The date, 1923 EE, is to the right of the bust. It represents 1930 AD, the year Haile Selassie was crowned emperor, though they were struck for many years afterwards.

There are five figures -- the first two represent 19, the third is a symbol for 100 and the last two stand for 23 in the Amharic language image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Newsman,your command of Arabic languages and dialects,is starting to frighten me - actually,I no longer trust you image

Bill ,does this Semeuse have the original relief ,or is it like the circulating French euros?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    The releif on the sower herself is higher than the original. The rest of the coin's releif varies.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Newsman,your command of Arabic languages and dialects,is starting to frighten me - actually,I no longer trust you image >>

I had to follow my family to several exotic places when I was young, including Ethiopia, where I lived for a year. But this was in the time before Osama bin Laden and before I became an undercover CIA agent. Ooops! image
  • Options
    I really like the obverse of the Matonas.

the La Semeuse--if I remember you showed a stock photo of that and I commented that I thought the design was too busy... well, I really like it in your photo. Very cool to see the sower with that high of a relief. I think it's pretty handsome.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare