Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I arrived home and the fires STILL are lapping at my door!

These fires must be something! I'm stuck in Oakland, California due to the shut down of the SoCal airports and I can't get home. Apparently the Simi Valley fire is only a couple of miles from my door and I can't get good updates here in Oakland.

If anyone can post some info as to the exact location of the Simi Valley fire, please do my wife and I are kinda nervous about coming home to find our house on fire. We are going to try to get on a flight this afternoon and get home but we are basically in the dark with where and how the fire is heading in Simi Valley.

Thanks in anticipation!

Michael

Comments

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    get your love ones and coin and get the hell out of there.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Yes screw the house it's insured.
  • Options
    Mike,the 118 freeway is closed and everything south of it is still ok.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    Michael,

Hope this link answers your questions. Good luck, and I'll pray that your house is not affected.

Link
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    Hopefully all the coins are in a safe place, like an insured saftey deposit box....
  • Options
    Woodwind -- thanks I hadn't heard that yet. I guess the wind changed direction and know the fire is heading south. I'm about 2-3 east of where it was last night. I glad, but I feel sorry for the people in Bell Canyon, those are multimillion dollar homes its heading towards.

Nuck -- I know the 118 is closed right near my house and I'm north of the 118. I just don't know what's happening exactly.

Thanks again everyone,
    Michael
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    National Interagency Fire Center
    The link gives a phone number to call for general fire information and there are other links at the bottom of the page that list fire maps of the area.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    know how you guys feel. I had a fire within a half mile of my house this summer. I could see the fire from the start out my office window and could just watch it get worse and worse as it headed toward my neighborhood. Not fun. The weather down there is supposed to improve tomorrow afternoon. Good luck.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Hope it all works out well, Michael.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Ate a burrito last night and fire is lapping at my backdoor also....got to go.
  • Options
    I mean this in a lighthearted way

News Flash:

Man is lifted by helicopter at the last moment as he narrowly escapes harms way. the helicopter barely had enough power to lift the man and his large suitcase he had strapped to himself that he said he could not part with.. All are safe and out of harms way! image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first thought is for the safety of you (and other people) and your animals if you have any.
    My next thought is that the houses are generally insured...it is the pictures (printed/digital) that can't be replaced that I feel bad for people for (memories fade after awhile, but photos help bring them back).....TVs, etc, can all be easily replaced.

Then, for numismatic interests, I wonder......
    We have coins, many of us slab them to authenticate and preserve them. We even put them in plastic boxes to store and preserve them (and some, like me, put them in safes and safety deposit boxes).
    So, if the fires hit, and hit hot enough, do you just figure to kiss your coins goodbye? Would it be better for raw coins that may be able to have soot, ashes, etc, removed (can that be safely removed? I don't know), or would it be better to have them slabbed with the plastics?
    I would think that if the slab melted on the coin, the coin would be practically worthless.

Due to these fires, will people lose not only their houses and stuff that we expect, but also years of numismatic history?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Is pcgs open today?
  • Options

<< <i>Is pcgs open today? >>

I would assume so. Newport Beach is far from any immediate fire danger.
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    Thats good! I hope the employees live near pcgs.
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I glad, but I feel sorry for the people in Bell Canyon, those are multimillion dollar homes its heading towards.

You wouldn't feel sorry if those were poor people's homes it was heading towards?
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    I hope they catch the SOB who started these fires. My family has been in the Forest Fire business for nearly 40 years, fires like these are so dangerous it makes the hair on my neck stand up. These are the types of urban interfaces the "Healthy Forest Initiative" should concentrate on, not back country roadless areas. People get killed in these fires - stay safe.
  • Options
    Frattlaw,
    In 1968, my family lost everything in a house fire. Only two years after loosing my father, I was an eight year old boy with nothing but the clothes on my back.
    Material possesions can be replaced. Don't put it off. Tell your loved ones how much they mean to you today.
    It is my sincere hope and prayer that all is well with you and your's.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God!
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    ~PATRICK HENRY~
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Do they have any idea who started it?

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I live in Alpine in the county of San Diego. Its a disaster down here. We were evacuated early this
    morning. I sent the family on there way to my parrents house and stayed as long as I could. We
    have been without power and phone for over 24 hours now. Yesterday and last night there was
    no way in or out of our area as all the high ways were closed. This morning the CHP opened the
    west bound lanes for evacuees. We made it out..... I have several friends that have lost there homes.
    What a helpless feeling this is. There are so many fires burning in the San Diego county area and
    not enough personnel to fight them. Driving down the free way was like driving through a war zone.
    If it wasn't burning on both sides of me it was charged black, Even the center medium was burnt.
    The smoke was so thick you could not have the AC on and could only see about 50 yards ahead .
    I could not help but tear up as I drove past destroyed homes and miles of charged land. 13 lives
    have already been lost here in San Diego county and hundreds of homes. Keep us in your prayers.

Onlyroosies
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    The people who are dying in this thing are the ones who waited too long to leave. If you have to evacuate, get out now! The only thing not replaceable is YOU.
    DSW
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Best wishes to all you guys over there, I feel for you as my home was destroyed a little over a year ago by a storm
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Update I made it home and it was still there -- for now. The closet fire is 1 mile away and closing, but no evacuation yet. The fire department here in LA are trying to save the structures and they are doing a pretty good job so far.

But with the night, supersoakers and helicopters can't fly and I'm afraid the winds might change as well. I have almost everything packed that I need so if I am evacuated it should be okay.

I could careless about the house ect -- material possessions -- but the coins are packed and are ready to go.

I trying to stay in here as long as possible -- a/k/a until I'm told to go.

If you don't hear from me for awhile it means I was evacuated and can't get to a computer. Otherwise I will update everyone as I endure this situation.

Wow -- a heart attack 3 weeks ago and now this -- someone really doesn't like me. imageimage

Michael
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    If the smoke is going to aggravate your health problems, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to leave before it becomes mandatory.

Stay safe, Michael.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael,

With a heart attack 3 weeks ago - you gotta stay way cool and collected - I hope you do, and I wish you well!

Marc
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael,

I hope everything works out for you and your family. Heck of year you are having. My prayers are with you guys!

Tbig
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michael, don't be foolish. Find a place to stay and take care of yourself!
    Doug
  • Options
    just SAVE THE COINS!

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
    You need this aggrevation like a hole in the head,get to a safe area with your possessions,you dont need another heart attack.
  • Options
    Michael:

Hope you folks stay safe.

A friend of mine in the LA sent me about 20 photos he took from his front yard. Here's one showing teh fire making its way over the mountain.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Here is a picture to cool down those fires. I just took this tonight. That is me and my 4-yearl old daughter shoveling snow. Yes, it is really snowing, and it is suppose to snow all night long.

• Options
    Hey Frank that pic shows the fire near my house. That area is called Rocky Peak and is 1-2 miles from my development, going east (right of the photo). For you Planet of the Ape fans, that's where they filmed the area where the Heston spaceship crashed.

The fire is still about a mile away and I was able to talk to a Fire and Rescue expert near my house and apparently my development is no immenient danger. There's an area around my development that has been cleared for new houses that has created a natural defense line with no vegatation to burn. And there's no plan to evacuate tonight, however, another community in my development is right up against the mountain and they are being taken out of their 1-2 million dollar homes. Sometimes it's good to be in the cheap seats!image

The smoke is bad, the smell is bad, and I'm just trying to stay indoors right now.

onlyroosies -- I know what you're going through. Goodluck to you and your family. I hope all turns out well for you and for me. These fires have done too much harm already. Keep us updated as well with your situation.

Michael
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spent all summer in the smoke. I feel for you folks down there. Nothing like feeling pretty much helpless. My mom has had to pack up in their house more than once due to danger of fires in the area. Nothing to take non-seriously.

Geoman, nice snow. Snow in our forecast for the next 10 days although the mountain tops are already getting it. The Yellowstone National Park fire in 1988 was not put out until it was covered with snow. What is the chance it will snow in Southern California?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Wow I have been watching on fox news, Stay safe all of you out there on the left coast
    Michael
  • Options
    JoshLJoshL Posts: 656 ✭✭

<< <i>These fires must be something! I'm stuck in Oakland, California due to the shut down of the SoCal airports and I can't get home. Apparently the Simi Valley fire is only a couple of miles from my door and I can't get good updates here in Oakland.

If anyone can post some info as to the exact location of the Simi Valley fire, please do my wife and I are kinda nervous about coming home to find our house on fire. We are going to try to get on a flight this afternoon and get home but we are basically in the dark with where and how the fire is heading in Simi Valley.

Thanks in anticipation!

Michael >>

Address list of houses that have burned

http://www.scrippsranch.org/special/fire_address_list.asp

I love coins...image
  • Options
    If there is a chance of you having to be evacuated but there is no rush yet, I would go ahead and start moving valuables, ireplaceables etc now while there is no pressure. If winds change suddenly you may find yourself having to "Get out NOW!" with no time to pack things into the car and the possiblity of having to drop everything and RUN. Take the opportunity during this reprieve to get the important stuff to safety.
  • Options
    It's a little better today. It seems like the FD is getting a real handle on the stuff around my house. Still though the sound of helicopters and supersoaker airplanes are rattling my windows because they are flying so low.

I am hoping by tonight we will have a better idea of what the real danger is or isn't (hopefully)

My car is packed and I'm ready to roll if we are told to evacuate, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Michael
  • Options
    Glad to hear it, Michael! Earthquakes, mudslides and firestorms, Oh my.....give me a good ol' fashion hurricane anyday.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

uh . . . let's don't wish for hurricanes . . .

Glad to hear things are better Michael.
    Doug
  • Options
    You would not believe how orange the sky is right now over San Diego (coastal). It's been 3 days now and I thought for sure that today the fire would start to die down. But apparently it's still raging in the Alpine and Julian areas, about 30 miles from us. Unbelievable!
    Bill
  • Options
    Glad the firefighters are getting a handle on things. I'm praying for you and all those affected.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out here at LAX, the sky is a sulfur tinged yellow. There are no fires in the vicinity. However, I
    know quite a few people in the Santa Clarita Valley and the north end of Chatsworth that I have not been able to reach.

Twenty years ago, I saw a bush fire when I was in Zambia. It scared the **** out of me. My prayers go out to the people in the affected areas.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Good luck Michael.
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list