Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

NHL Top Goalie Set

For all you hockey collectors (I know there are at least 2 or 3 of us here),

There was a thread a few months back about putting together a top goalie set on the registry, but it seemed to die a quick death.

There is already a hockey top 50 rookie and 500 goal scorer on the registry, and I think a top goalie set would
be nice addition to the registry.

I am willing to do the legwork and submit the compiled list, but I need help from the board members. Please post to this thread the cards that you believe should be part of this list. It would also help if you post the year and card number if you know it.

Once I get enough suggestions (of when this thread dies), I will compile and submit the list to the registry.

Here's a few to get things started :

1951 Parkhurst Terry Sawchuck
1953 Parkhurst Gump Worsley
1954 Parkhurst Johnny Bower
1957 Topps Glenn Hall
1965 Topps Gerry Cheevers
1968 OPC Bernie Parent
1969 OPC Tony Esposito
1971 OPC Ken Dryden
1986 OPC Patrick Roy
1990 Score Martin Brodeur

Thanks,
Ray

Comments

• Options
    I would also add Plante, Hainsworth, Vezina, and Tretiak (Russian) for sure.

Others to consider:

Grant Fuhr
    Tiny Thompson
    Frank Brimsek
    Turk Broda
    Chuck Raynor
    Roy Worters
    Ed Belfour
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    It's tough to think of many more than are listed here. We have to remember that until the late '80s, the goalie position was more or less reserved for anyone crazy enough to stand in front of 100 mph pucks. It wasn't until the '90s that goaltending became a real science. Patrick Roy inspired a whole generation of Quebec kids to become goalies. As a result, the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League has become the official goalie supplier to the NHL.

A few other moderns to consider-

1980 OPC Mike Liut
    1981 OPC Andy Moog
    1986 OPC John Vanbiesbrouck
    1987 OPC Bill Ranford
    1987 OPC Mike Vernon
    1991 Parkhurst Dominik Hasek
  • Options
    If Belfour makes the list then you have to add Tom Barrasso (most successfull US-born goalie of all time - so far)

Also:

Al Rollins,
    Harry Lumley
    Billy Smith
    Curtis Joseph
    Mike Liut
    Ron Hextall
    Ed Giacomin
    Dan Bouchard
    Collecting Basketball Hall of Fame Signatures
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Ray,
    I think you should probably set some criteria. The goalie could have had to have won a Vezina Trophy or a Stanley Cup etc. Otherwise, you are going to have a tough time narrowing the choices down.
  • Options
    I did a quick compilation of the top 20 goalies in career GAA, Shutouts and Wins. Here's what I came up with (40 total):

Alex Connell
    Andy Moog
    Bernie Parent
    Bill Durnan
    Billy Smith
    Chris Osgood
    Chuck Gardiner
    Clint Benedict
    Curtis Joseph
    Dave Kerr
    Dominik Hasek
    Ed Belfour
    Ed Giacomin
    Evgeni Nabakov
    George Hainsworth
    Gerry McNeil
    Glenn Hall
    Grant Fuhr
    Gump Worsley
    Harry Lumley
    Jacques Plante
    John Ross Roach
    John Vanbiesbrouck
    Ken Dryden
    Lorne Chabot
    Martin Biron
    Martin Brodeur
    Mike Richter
    Mike Vernon
    Norman Smith
    Patrick Roy
    Rogie Vachon
    Roman Turek
    Ron Hextall
    Roy Worters
    Terry Sawchuk
    Tiny Thompson
    Tom Barrasso
    Tony Esposito
    Turk Broda

There were only three goalies that were in all three categories. Any guesses?
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Sawchuk, Plante, Roy?
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    decent mix that includes some pre-war guys.
    gotta love those '33 Ice Kings and '36 OPC toughies.

Yawie- you sold me your Tiny Thompson too quick image
  • Options
    Plante, Brodeur, Belfour
  • Options
    Yeah, but you'll never get my Wm. Patterson John Ross Roach!

Geez, Belfour.
  • Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Guys,

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. Albie was probably right in that I should have set some kind of criteria, but
    since I wasn't sure what kind of response I would get, I purposely left it open.

What I will do is try and compile a list this weekend from all of the posts and e-mails sent to me, and I will post the
    list for everyone's review next week. I'll leave it up to the board then to decide who should or should not be on the
    final list.

My initial thought was to make it a 'Top 50 Goalie' list, but I guess we can see how that plays out.

Best,
    Ray
  • Options
    Do the Top 25. It's about quality, not quantity.

As this thread clearly shows there just aren't 50 great goalies.
  • Options
    Here is what I came up with for a first pass. If it made the list, then the goalie is either in the hall of fame, or in
    the top 20 of wins, shutouts, goals against, or has won the Vezina trophy at least once. Let me know if you think
    anyone should be added or removed. If you think the goalie should be on the list, but the card should be a
    different one, let me know. I'll take your feedback and put together a final list to submit.

Thanks,
    Ray

Year Company Card Num Name
    1933 V252 Canadien Gum 14 Alex Connell
    1951 Parkhurst 76 Al Rollins
    1981 OPC 120 Andy Moog
    1968 OPC 89 Bernie Parent
    1955 Parkhurst 63 Bill Durnan
    1987 OPC 13 Bill Ranford
    1973 OPC 142 Billy Smith
    1933 V252 Canadien Gum 24 Chuck Gardiner
    1951 Parkhurst 104 Chuck Rayner
    1912 C57 3 Clint Benedict
    1990 OPC Premier 51 Curtis Joseph
    1972 OPC 203 Dan Bouchard
    1933 OPC V304B 59 Dave Kerr
    1991 Upper Deck 335 Dominik Hasek
    1990 Upper Deck 55 Ed Belfour
    1965 Topps 21 Ed Giacomin
    1933 OPC V304A 15 George Hainsworth
    1911 C55 38 George Vezina
    1965 Topps 31 Gerry Cheevers
    1951 Parkhurst 15 Gerry McNeil
    1957 Topps 20 Glenn Hall
    1982 OPC 105 Grant Fuhr
    1953 Parkhurst 53 Gump Worsley
    1951 Parkhurst 47 Harry Lumley
    1960 Topps 38 Hugh Lehman
    1955 Parkhurst 50 Jacques Plante
    1933 V357 Ice Kings 67 John Ross Roach
    1986 OPC 9 John Vanbiesbrouck
    1954 Parkhurst 65 Johnny Bower
    1971 OPC 45 Ken Dryden
    1910 C56 26 Lester Patrick
    1933 OPC V304A 18 Lorne Chabot
    1990 Score 439 Martin Brodeur
    1974 OPC 297 Michel Larocque
    1980 OPC 31 Mike Luit
    1990 Upper Deck 32 Mike Richter
    1987 OPC 215 Mike Vernon
    1936 V356 Worldwide Gum 74 Normie Smith
    1911 C55 1 Paddy Moran
    1986 OPC 53 Patrick Roy
    1911 C55 16 Percy LeSueur
    1911 C55 32 Riley Hern
    1967 Topps 75 Rogie Vachon
    1987 OPC 169 Ron Hextall
    1933 V357 Ice Kings 11 Roy Worters
    1951 Parkhurst 61 Terry Sawchuck
    1933 V357 Ice Kings 57 Tiny Thompson
    1984 OPC 18 Tom Barrasso
    1969 OPC 138 Tony Esposito
    1936 OPC V304D 97 Turk Broda
  • Options
    Ray,

Most of the guys I can't argue with. I certainly don't think Rollins, Roach, N. Smith, Ranford, Hextall, Vachon, Luit, Larocque, Bouchard, Vernon or Vanbriesbrouck deserve recognition in this crowd.

Although I think Cujo and Richter are on the bubble, I can see them on the list. Especially Richter.

Dave Kerr and Lorne Chabot are a bit under-rated and should be in the HOF in my opinion.

Also, I believe Durnan's first card is 1951 Berk Ross.

What do you think?

Tom
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Great to see hockey being discussed. I build hockey sets in the summer. There was something comforting about thinking about cold northern winters while living through infernal Texas heat.

I'm sure that there are plenty of names that could be proposed for the list, though I can think of none to add that haven't been mentioned already (except a sentimental thought for Pelle Lindbergh, who, by all accounts was on his way before an eerily familiar car crash). In doing some research, I was surprised to find that there are only 33 goalies in the Hall of Fame. I know that for about half the NHL's history there were only 6 teams leading to fewer actual goalies and smaller all-time totals, but that number still seems small. There were at least 3 locks for the Hall playing last season, plus Hasek.

But with extended seasons and openings come guys who can pile up numbers or win seasonal awards without being "Great". I'd agree with GoSox that the list should be pruned down. The Top NFL Rushers list only has 20 names and all are undeniably great, though it is probably too exclusive and includes no pre-57 names. In baseball, I could name 10 guys who won MVP but probably never made it past the first ballot for the Hall. What would happen if you eliminated one-time Vezina winners if they had no other claim to the list? I mean, I liked Hextall when he played for the Flyers, but only his mother would put him on the first tier of goaltenders, which is what I'd think this list should include.

Speaking of Hasek, I think his representative card should be from the 1991 UD Euro-stars insert set. Maybe most people don't consider it a true RC (if that's important to the list), but I think it's his nicest looking card from that year, a horizontal pic of a kick-save.

Finally, I would suggest that there be pre-war and post-war lists, like what's done with other subjective groupings. This is a point volunteered from the wallet, mainly, but it seems to me that the position changed a lot with advances in equipment, too, so by the 50s and especially the 70s, goalies played a much different game than in the 30s.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Tom,

I certainly have no problem in weeding down the list. I don't have the expertise with the pre-war cards,
    so I basically relied on whether they were in the hall of fame. To be honest, some of the older goalies I had never
    even heard of before this.

I did not include some goalies that had won the Vezina a single time (like Pete Peeters, Jim Carey, Bob Sauve, etc),
    but I wanted to include enough goalies from the past 20 years to garner some interest in the set.

I'll make the correction on the Durnan card.

Helionaut,

I considered Pelle Lindbergh for the list, but his career was just too short, imo, to be put on the list. As for Hextall,
    I put him on the list mostly because he is also in the top 20 for all-time wins as well as winning the Vezina once. But if other members feel differently, I'm more than willing to go with the majority on adding/removing them.

• Options
    Ray,

One question...guys like Roach, Rollins, and N. Smith...well, basically everyone I think should be excluded are not in the HOF. Some of them weren't even that good if you look up their records.

So why did you include them...to get a good mix of vintage? I guess I'm wondering because those three guys had pretty bad records (win - loss).

Just wondering?

Tom
  • Options
    Hi Tom,

As I mentioned in my last post, I do not have extensive expertise or knowledge with the older players, which is
    why I was relying on the board members to sort of guide me with them.

Roach, Rollins, and Smith were all suggested in previous posts, but I did do some research on every person
    on the list. Rollins and Smith both won the Vezina trophy (Rollins in 51 and Smith in 37), and Roach is on the top
    20 list of most shutouts.

Ray
  • Options
    No biggy...I was just wondering. Thanks and I think it'll make a nice set.
  • Options
    Tom,

When I pare down the list, I will keep these 3 in mind as ones that maybe should not be included.

Thanks,
    Ray
  • Options
    Hey Ray,

Any idea why PSA has left Ed Giacomin off the HOF Registry Set? He's the only guy missing.

I sent in a request with a serial number.

Tom
  • Options
    Tom,

Funny you mention that. I had inquired on the same thing over a year ago, but never heard anything back. I
    noticed they added Grant Fuhr a while back, but not Giacomin. I'm hoping they add him because I've got a very,
    very nice PSA 9 that I'd like to put up.
  • Options
    Guys,

PSA has e-mailed me asking for the list.

I have pared down the list based on the suggestions received.

Here is what I am left with. Please let me know if you want anyone added and/or deleted.
    Again, I have no problem adding or deleting, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Ray

Year Company Card Number Name
    1911 C55 1 Paddy Moran
    1911 C55 16 Percy LeSueur
    1911 C55 32 Riley Hern
    1933 OPC V304B 59 Dave Kerr
    1933 OPC V304A 18 Lorne Chabot
    1955 Parkhurst 63 Bill Durnan
    1957 Topps 20 Glenn Hall
    1971 OPC 45 Ken Dryden
    1973 OPC 142 Billy Smith
    1981 OPC 120 Andy Moog
    1982 OPC 105 Grant Fuhr
    1984 OPC 18 Tom Barrasso
    1986 OPC 53 Patrick Roy
    1990 Score Canadien 439 Martin Brodeur

• Options
    Ray,

My only issue is that I really feel the following cards should be excluded.

I certainly don't consider these goalies as great. Even Kerr and Chabot are questionable. Sure they had great GAA's, but didn't everybody in those days?

Maybe the set should be left to goalies already in the HOF and those that are "shoo-in's"? Either that or create a Vezina set, a 300 Win set, or something other set with mixed criteria.

Just my 2 cents. I'm happy either way.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I think that's a good list. Forty names, a good 60/40 split post-war/pre-war, and I can't think of anyone else to add. If anything I'd pare off a few more, like Barasso. In looking at other such lists like the Top NFL rushers, there are only a handful of names (20, IIRC) and they were all truly great. I agree with BoSox that if the focus of the list is really to pick the best, then there should be maybe fewer names on the list than are in the Hall (33), so his suggestions are probably valid. And I was never crazy about Giacomin, but I'm not really qualified to comment on pre-expansion hockey. I'd say take out McNeil, Vachon, Kerr, Chabot, and Barrasso.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    As for the composition of the set, I'd say to set a definite criteria such as Hall of Fame member (or future lock for the Hall, such as Hasek, Roy and Brodeur) or top X players in a given statistical category or something like that. Also, if you're not averse to using recent cards of vintage or quasi-vintage players, I'd include Tretiak and Brimsek.

What I really want to mention, though, is that Moran, Lesueur and Hern all have cards in the C56, so you may want to change their specified card to that set from the C55. Also, I think someone else mentioned it, but I would maybe go with the '51 Berk Ross Durnan over the '55 Parkie.
  • Options
    Steve,

I have very limited knowledge on the real old cards. I have no problem using the C56 instead of the C55 for the 3 you listed. Do
    you know the card numbers for these 3? Also, do you know the card number for the 51 Berk Ross Durnan?

Regarding the Tretiak and Brimsek, I could not find any cards for these guys. I think they belong on the list. Let me know what card you would recommend listing for these 2 and I will add them to the list.

Thanks,
    Ray
  • Options
    Hey, Ray. Lesueur is #2 in the C56 set, Hern #22 and Moran #28. Durnan is #1-17 in the '51 Berk Ross set and I think he appears next to Bill Quackenbush (1-18) on an uncut panel. There's been such a glut of recent sets with vintage players that I'm not sure how to best select cards for Tretiak and Brimsek. Beckett lists the '99-00 UD Retro Tretiak (#102) as his RC and there's a signed Tretiak card in the Inkredible insert set. I don't know about Brimsek's first appearance in such a set. '00-01 UD Legends? '01-02 BAP Between the Pipes?
  • Options
    Ray,
    Although I disagree with a few things on the list I think that you did a great job.

In defense of Vachon he was the winning goalie on perhaps the greatest hockey team of all-time the 1976 Canada team in the Canada Cup. He was very good in Montreal and great in Los Angeles. I know he was a flop in Detroit and Boston but he had a very good stretch.

I would probably agree with GoSoxBoSox in that maybe a Vezina list or a certain criteria list would have been better but I also am happy either way as we need to try and add more obtainable hockey sets to the registry.
  • Options

<< <i>And I was never crazy about Giacomin, but I'm not really qualified to comment on pre-expansion hockey. I'd say take out McNeil, Vachon, Kerr, Chabot, and Barrasso. >>

helionaut,

I agree with everything you said accept for the twp comments above. Barrasso will be a Hall of Famer. He won the Vezina, the Cup, and had over 300 wins. Like him or not, Giacomin is in the Hall of Fame even though the his name isn't included on the set registry list. It will be soon.

Tom
  • Options

<< <i>I'd include Tretiak and Brimsek.

What I really want to mention, though, is that Moran, Lesueur and Hern all have cards in the C56, so you may want to change their specified card to that set from the C55. Also, I think someone else mentioned it, but I would maybe go with the '51 Berk Ross Durnan over the '55 Parkie. >>

Great points Steve. I missed all of that in my haste.

And...I'll take the credit on that Durnan comment image
  • Options

<< <i>Regarding the Tretiak and Brimsek, I could not find any cards for these guys. I think they belong on the list. Let me know what card you would recommend listing for these 2 and I will add them to the list.
    >>

Ray,

The Tretiak I have is 1991 Future Trends Experience #71. It is at PSA right now. I should have the grade by Thursday. It's the earliest card I know of.

Brimsek's rookie card is 1939-40 OPC V301-1 #97. I have it but PSA won't grade a card this big until approximately December (so they say) when the bigger holders are in.

Tom
  • Options
    Here is the revised list based on your comments and suggestions.

Let me know if anyone wants any more add/deletes/changes.

Thanks,
    Ray

Year Company Card Number Name
    1910 C56 28 Paddy Moran
    1910 C56 2 Percy LeSueur
    1910 C56 22 Riley Hern
    1939 OPC V301-1 97 Frank Brimsek
    1951 Berk Ross 1-17 Bill Durnan
    1957 Topps 20 Glenn Hall
    1971 OPC 45 Ken Dryden
    1973 OPC 142 Billy Smith
    1981 OPC 120 Andy Moog
    1982 OPC 105 Grant Fuhr
    1984 OPC 18 Tom Barrasso
    1986 OPC 53 Patrick Roy
    1990 Score Canadien 439 Martin Brodeur
    1999 Upper Deck Retro 102 Vladislav Tretiak
  • Options
    Ray,

Vachon REALLY has to go. On this list he sticks out like a sore thumb. Everyone else is a HOF caliber goalie.

I know I'm beating a dead horse on this so I'll leave it alone after this post. Thanks for listening to my bantering.

Tom
  • Options
    Tom - Why so adament against Vachon? His numbers stack up against many of the others on the list.
  • Options

<< <i>Tom - Why so adament against Vachon? His numbers stack up against many of the others on the list. >>

I realize he was a good goalie. But this set is for great goalies. He had a lot of wins but he also had a lot of losses. Basically, the way I see it he just played a lot of games.

While his GAA was respectable it was nothing great for the 60's and 70's. When you stack-up Vachon's numbers and accomplishments against the other great goalies of his era it's just hard to consider him one of the all-time greats. That's why he's not in the hall.
  • Options

<< <i>That's why he's not in the hall. >>

Hes not in the Hall of fame because he was a friend of Bruce McNall instead of Bill Wirtz
  • Options
    Ray and all,

Ed Giacomin was finally added to the HOF set registry.

Tom
  • Options
    Thanks for the update, Tom. I'll be adding him shortly.

Best,
    Ray
  • Options
    Does PSA have a holder large enough for the '39-40 OPC set, which has the Brimsek RC? The cards, if you can even call them that, are 5" by 7"?
  • Options

<< <i>Does PSA have a holder large enough for the '39-40 OPC set, which has the Brimsek RC? The cards, if you can even call them that, are 5" by 7"? >>

No. Not until around December when they get the new holders,

I want Clint!!!! What's the deal? I'll take either the 3 or the 6!!!!
  • Options
    speaking of o-pee-chee hockey.
    somethin' fishy in Nova Scotia, eh??

I almost passed out when i spotted this, then i see the seller, then me think's a trimmin' been had.
    what do you guys think about those side edges? I can't see the tabs.

otherwise ...what a card image
  • Options
    It looks like it is trimmed on the left edge - probably popped as well.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I remember hearing about PSA's plans to start grading Turkey Reds. Guess that holder would work for the '39 OPC set.

And, Tom, did you e-mail me back? My hotmail.com account has been horrible lately, so if you did, I didn't receive it. You can just PM here or get me at yawie99@charter.net, though I don't check that account as often as my hotmail one.

I dunno know about that Morenz. Looks weird, but I've never handled any cards from that set, so I can't say for sure.
  • Options
    anbody got '36 opc series D to help my set ?

edited to say : untrimmed
  • Options
    I just sent in two on my last invoice #106 Runge and #114 Desilets. They will be back in time for the Canadian Expo. I cannot remember what they looked like but probably 4's or 5's.
  • Options
    I recently graded both those cards and was quite dissappointed with them getting PSA 4's.

I have them set aside for a serious discussion with whomever is left over there next time I can cross paths.

The transiant and evolutionary state of grading companies is surely something none of us bought into.
    I hope the "industry" can step back and get a grip on why we hesitate to spend more off our (collective?) money with them.

edited: for typos this time Wolfsmiester
  • Options
    The 304D's are a tough issue to grade. We had a Red Horner card that looked like a 7 and not popped that we sold at a show. The collector wanted to send it to PSA to verify authenticity and the fact that it was not trimmed. It came back a 4 presumably because they felt it had been popped. We refunded the guys money and ended up selling it for a lot less. Recently, I submitted a Bob Feller from the 37 OPC batter up set. The card looked great sitting in the hard screw down case (a 7 maybe an 8) but by the time I got it out of the case into a card saver I and by the time it got into the PSA holder it was a strong 5 (because it had clearly been popped). Anything that looks like a 7 and comes back a 4 or 5 is probably deemed to be popped and I guess they will not give a grade higher than EX to anything that looks like it has been popped.
  • Options

<< <i>speaking of o-pee-chee hockey.
    somethin' fishy in Nova Scotia, eh??

I almost passed out when i spotted this, then i see the seller, then me think's a trimmin' been had.
    what do you guys think about those side edges? I can't see the tabs.

otherwise ...what a card image >>

Good eye Murcer. There no doubt that right edge is a bit "wavey". I've always found crazycanuck to be a stand-up outfit. Call him on it and I'll bet his resolve the issue with this auction.
  • Options
    Steve,

I PM'd you about the Clint card. I e-mailed you back around 6 PM EST yesterday so you e-mail must be hung.

Tom
  • Options
    Yeah, I finally got that message late last night. I've been trying to focus on filling holes before upgrading, but since there are so few 6's with that set I want to try to grab any that come up for sale. And speaking of coming up for sale, I was wondering if any of you vintage hockey veterans have ever seen a V145-1 Bert Corbeau for sale. Not that I could afford one any time soon, but I would eventually like to own one.