Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

NHL Top Goalie Set

2»

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I was wondering if any of you vintage hockey veterans have ever seen a V145-1 Bert Corbeau for sale.

<< <i>

Hah. Be real.

Let me ask you, do you know the leprechaun story that goes along with this set? It goes like this. The Leprechaun ( aka: Bulldog, Purple Shamrock) was a redemption stamp placed on the back of the card after a complete set was redeemed for a prize. After a card was stamped it was then disposed of. The thing about this promotional contest was the company short-printed #25 Bert Corbeau, a card so rare that its not even listed for a price in the Charlton Standard Catalogue of hockey cards. (It just says extremely rare instead of the value) This would make it next to impossible to easily finish the set and would make the customer buy more product to try and finish the set to get the prize ( not known ). Because there were so few #25's not many sets were redeem. Which means not many cards were stamped with the famous Leprechaun. Since the company had no more use for the redeemed sets, most were destroyed I have heard over the years rumors of the existence of these cards but had never seen them. I have found two that I got years ago from crazycanuck.

The leprechaun redemption stamp looks like this.

Here is the front and back of one I own.

It's a pretty cool story for a card huh? And it's true!!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I do know about the stamp and remember seeing crazycanuck auction a leprechaun card or two. I'm not sure if I bid on them or not and I can't remember what they wound up going for, but it would be pretty cool to have one of those. I also remember seeing metallica50 run an auction not too long ago that was more like an advertisement for his search for a Corbeau. I think he was offering 10 grand for one. I don't know the guy, but I'm assuming he never located one.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    is the Corbeau like the Maple Crispette Sprague Cleghorn? basically an intentionally short printed card so the manufacturer wouldnt have to redeem many?
  • Options

<< <i>is the Corbeau like the Maple Crispette Sprague Cleghorn? basically an intentionally short printed card so the manufacturer wouldnt have to redeem many? >>

Exactly. Besides Babe Dye I also have a redeemed George Boucher. I just wish I knew how these cards escaped being destroyed?
  • Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    All,

Set is now up on the registry.

Thanks to all for your input and help.

Best,
    Ray
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Excellent. Thanks for taking on the task. Now I just need some hockey cards.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    sweet, ill register my one card (Moog psa 9). can you register 1990 UD French cards? i have a few PSA 10's incoming
  • Options
    I'm about to add my set to the registry and was wondering about the Hasek (91-92 UD). I have a French and an English. Anyone know if one is required or excluded?
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Wow...this thread has legs again?

I believe either Hasek will do.
  • Options
    I went with the French. This will be a fun set if certain people (like, everyone) will stop outbidding me.

I look forward to getting into this set as I know so little about vintage hockey, and pre-war to me is like South Pacific geography to most people. I recognize big names, but have no idea what the environment was like.
    WANTED:

Nothing on ebay
  • Options

<< <i>I went with the French. This will be a fun set if certain people (like, everyone) will stop outbidding me.
    >>

Hah. We all feel your pain there. The set isn't all that difficult until you get to the pre-war stuff. Those cards are nearly impossible to find in high grade. Good luck.
  • Options
    any of the pre 1990 hockey will be hard to find in PSA 9, because they rarely show up for sale. i could probably have half of this set, the top 50 rookies set, and the 500 goal scorers set completed if it werent for my refusal to collect anything lower than a 9.
  • Options
    should John Vanbiesbrouck be added to this set? sure, he hasnt won a cup, but compared to some of the other guys on this list (Richter, Barrasso, Belfour, Cujo), i think he should be included.
  • Options
    Im suprised Mike Vernon wasnt on that list . He accomplished more than Cujo , Barrasso , Vanbiesbrouck or Richter. 2 Stanley Cups 8th all time in wins at 385, Conn Smythe trophy as playoff MVP. I certainly know i would want Vernon in the net ahead of any of those 4 guys
  • Options
    This thread is like that rash I had during my bachelor days......no matter how much I scratch it....it keeps comin' back.

Beezer image
    Cujo image
    Barrasso image
    Richter image
    Vernon image
  • Options
    i vote Vanbiesbrouck and Vernon be added to this list. ill email BJ in a few days unless anyone has any problems with these 2
  • Options
    I'd say yes on Vernon but no on Beezer. He had some very good years but he is not one of the all-time greats, IMHO, which is what the list should contain.
    WANTED:

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    im basing JB's inclusion on one game basically- game 4 of the 94 Stanley Cup finals, one of the top 3 individual performances ive ever seen, in any sport
  • Options

<< <i>im basing JB's inclusion on one game basically- game 4 of the 94 Stanley Cup finals, one of the top 3 individual performances ive ever seen, in any sport >>

That reason kinda sucks, don't ya think? Maybe Don Larson should be on the All-Time Pitchers list?
  • Options
    yeah. i just figured with no set criteria for the set (# of wins, gaa, stanley cups, etc.) that JB would be worthy. i still think Cujo should be left off
  • Options
    It was worth the shot, right? I see why everyone is stretching to add some cards. One would think that after 100years of hockey we'd have more Hall of Famers at goalie. But when you consider how many years there were just a hand full of teams I guess it makes sense.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I would agree with adding Vernon - he outgoaltended Patrick Roy when the Flames won the cup in 89 and the first year the Wings won the cup.
    The Beezer final display came in 96 I believe. You do not want to add a goalie for his play-off performance in one game, one series, or one year or the set will be filled with more average goalies than good ones.
  • Options
    oops i meant 1996.