Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thought you guys might like to drool

on this ice maiden I just "stole" on Ebay. I can hardly believe my good fortune. I don't know how to make a link but it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3048485326&category=11969&rd=1
Goin' For The Platinum!

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Well now, who else wants to link to it?

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin.
  • Options
    Nice Coinageimageimageimage
    Michael
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well now, who else wants to link to it? >>

Am I doing this right?! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3049089712&category=11969 image

peacockcoins

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks almost too nice, sort of like a casting? Assuming it is authentic you got a real deal.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be O-110
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭

<< <i>"stole" >>

you got that right congrads on the wonderful findimage

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    dude, be aware that's a heavily cleaned/processed coin. it doesn't matter if you don't care, just know what you've got.

K S
  • Options
    Dude, methinks not. Just because it looks too good to be true doesn't mean it's not. I'll bet yo fifty cents it's legit. I'll post the results after I send it in to the "professionals".
    Goin' For The Platinum!
  • Options
    better yet - i'll bet you 1 public flogging on the forum that coin gets body-bagged by pcgs, ngc, or icg, or anacs will net-grade it.

deal? this should be fun!!! image

K S
  • Options
    JamericonJamericon Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    I will go with dorkkarl on this one. Appears to me to be lightly whizzed and or polished.
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • Options
    Unfortunately this coin appears to have some major problems. It looks like it has been whizzed to remove porosity. Then AT'D to try to hide or make the cleaning not look so severe.
    Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
    The devices are not crisp enough for a coin with that much detail.
    The color is all wrong.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    wow - that's really nice.

I'm about to make my first foray into "bust" coinage. There's an 1822 bust half on my bid board that's a beauty. it's graded XF and looks great to me. Nice color too. Closes this monday and I'm getting it.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Pretty nice for a whizzed and cleaned coin.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Sorry, as some others have already noted, the coin appears to have been heavily cleaned, if not whizzed. image
  • Options
    thats what the coins I wizzed with a dremel look like

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    rickman save the fees...unless you collect body bags its not worth it.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    It's never fun to rain on a parade, but I agree with the concensus (sp?), the coin appears to be cleaned and/or whizzed. I wouldn't send it to PCGS or NGC for fear of it getting bagged. Perhaps ANACS would net grade it for you.
    Brian
  • Options
    Yup, I have to agree. Heavily cleaned.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A waste of a Ditto,but Dittoimage.Al
  • Options
    Rickrman, I apologize for the invasion of privacy, but after viewing some of the other raw coins you've won or bid on I would highly recommend you send some of your current winnings in to a reputable grading service before commiting further funds to more raw coins on ebay.

I am of the opinion that many of the coins which have caught your eye are cleaned, artificially toned, and have a myriad of other problems not mentioned (deliberately or not) by the sellers. Although you may not agree, I think you will find the certification process an eye opening experience and the sooner you do this the more money my advice will save you.

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    the pinkish color says cleaned to me. But I still like it.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    rickrman, you are selling a ton of PCGS slabbed modern so I assume understand the importance of grading from the premier slabber in the industry. In other words you are no neophyte, at least on the surface. Not saying this in a mean way.

The coin you purchased looks unnatural. Go to any of the coin auction archives and look at coins of that series and you will see none of the NGC/PCGS graded with that "look". Coin has been retoned after being worked on. Save the grading fee or submit to ANACS for net grade.

The seller hides behind the cover of selling the coin for someone else and pleading ignorance and asking people to judge the coin for themselves. A powerseller with perfect feedback of over two thousand. This tells me there are alot of people to be scammed out there and they will never know unless they show their coins to experienced or professional collector/dealers.

Remember, there is no free lunch in coins and no deals. No one is going to give you something for nothing. How would they stay in business? Buying raw on ebay is tantmount to looking to be ripped off.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
  • Options
    very well said ohbaby..nice teeth also

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    drooling material:

or, for more affordable "drooling"... something naturally circulated

Sorry, but your coin looks "processed" in some way

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Barely looks real. if it is real, it's definitely been messed with.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although, note that no one's saying the coin is worthless, just worth less than it sold for.

It would net down to maybe EF on a good day, but it's a common date so maybe worth VF money.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    No doubt poorly cleaned coin that shows almost a porous type of texture in some areas but worst of all is this line from the seller I am selling this coin for a friend that is liquidating his collection which means NO RETURN privilege. Unfortunately you are going to be stuck with a $75 coin (max) for your $163 bid, we can only hope you will use this as a learning experience so you will not make the same mistake again.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has that dull, overdipped look that makes it almost appear as if it were struck in pewter rather than silver.

That being said, it is still a very handsome piece and I don't think you did so badly. I personally have little doubt that it's genuine.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy,I wish boards and good posters/friends were around 40 yrs ago,I would have saved a bunch of money ..Also PCGS.
    Baley,gorgious B/H.Al
  • Options
    Something doesn't look right about the surfaces at all.
    DSW
  • Options
    It should be noted that the thread originator has not replied to the multitude of "cleaned" posts. Lessons are learned in many ways.....some learn by observing and others by actions.....So in the future why not ask someone what they think. Find the bust half guru on the board and point to the link and say whatdaya think. That being said it is a nice coin but it most assuredly has been cleaned/whizzed.
  • Options
    My signature sums it up for me...
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Tonelover, thanks for your excellent post and advice.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    rickrman, i hope you will keep us updated, & whatever you do, DON'T BE DISCOURAGED. "cleaned" should not be viewed as a death sentence for your coin(s). if YOU like them, then NOBODY ELSE'S opinion matters, that's always the bottom line.

K S
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if YOU like them, then NOBODY ELSE'S opinion matters, that's always the bottom line.

Well....uhm..... until it comes time to sell, that is. Then the bottom line is a bit different! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file