Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's a reasonable premium for FH SLQs?

My dealer has a nice NGC MS 63 1917 Type I FH SLQ at $400. Nice creamy white coin that was still in the showcase yesterday (its been there two weeks). CU lists the 63 FH at $340. I'm thinking about calling and asking to have it put on the shelf for me. Opinions?
Curmudgeon in waiting!

Comments

• Dealer/old-time collector

• << <i>My dealer has a nice NGC MS 63 1917 Type I FH SLQ at $400. Nice creamy white coin that was still in the showcase yesterday (its been there two weeks). CU lists the 63 FH at $340. I'm thinking about calling and asking to have it put on the shelf for me. Opinions? >>

NGC seems to be a bit more liberal in grading SLQs than PCGS. Price seems a bit high. Remember, the bulk of 1917 Type 1s have full heads, unlike the somewhat similar 1916, where FHs probably comprise only about 10% of mintage.

I'd offer him $285 as although it's a FH, it's likely a MS-62.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it real FH or tooled FH??image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    I would tell him you will pay $375 for it and see what the response is.
    $400 is low 64 money so I would not pay more than that myself usless I was sure it would upgrade.

Price info
  • All CU prices are out of date. Coin World has it at $400.00. You may try and barter with him and hope it is not in on consignment.
    The main point is do you want the coin and the other option is a good auction.
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!

• << <i>Is it real FH or tooled FH??image >>

The entire coin has very crisp detail--every rivet on the shield is very sharp--looks like a great strike--which it would be to be FH--nothing looks like tooling to me--but I'm not an expert on SLQs--am just thinking it would make a great type coin.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • ttt
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Okey, you are not asking the resoanable premium for FH SLQs. You are asking 1917 type one NGC MS63 FH.

If the coin is correctly graded, $300 to $325 is the best price I would offer. If the coin is a PQ, then $350. If the coin is an average one, $260. There are plenty 1917 type one SLQs between MS63FH and MS65FH. You could always pass this one and look for a better one. Also, over 75% 1917-P type one are Full Headers.

For the premium of type two FH SLQs, then the question is difficult to answer. Simply remember, true Full Head coins are scarce. You have to know what the true Full Head is before buy one. Many FH in PCGS are not Full Headers. Be careful.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a decent ANACS MS63 FH 1917 T.1 not that long ago, for only $200 and change.

I later upgraded to a razor sharp, blast white, awesome PCGS MS64 FH, and I doin't think pay $400 for it! (More like $350, if I recall correctly. This was less than two years ago.)

66Tbird ended up with that one, and sometimes I regret having sold it. That baby was as PQ as they come.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ttt
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ira and jcping are correct,

The 1917 SLQ Ty I is typically found with full head details, so on this particular date, I would not allow much for a premium.

Some dates are a completely opposite, dates like the 1919-d and s, 26-d and s and 27-s command significant premiums for FH even in lower grades like Au-55/ 58

• Thanks guys--I'll probably pass--unless I can get it at no more than $350.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • I think a PCGS MS63FH, a nice one at that, can be had for around $250 if you hunt for one or know a dealer that deals in them - that price sounds WAY too high for that piece in an NGC holder.

Frank
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    none. the premium your thinking of is for Fool Hype.

now if you mean it's a fully-struck coin, that's a different matter.

K S
  • JamericonJamericon Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    To give you some perspective:

I purchased a fully struck, full head NGC 64 1917 T1 at Baltimore this year, from HLRC. Paid $415 for it. $400 for yours would be a liitle high in my mind unless it is a shot 64. Placid's comment about the money is correct, either counter lower or wait for a better piece.
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey bill-boat

with some of the designations, it can be tricky for me to know whether i should pay for the added cost they entail or look for a sweet coin that comes close. good examples for me are RB vs. RD IHC's, FBL vs. non-FBL Franklins and your subject FH SLQ's. maybe you can find a nicely struck coin with strong overall detail and lacking enough for the designation at a lower price.

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file