Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For those that like a little history with their coins!

Comments

• Options
    Now that is cool!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    imageimageimage
    J'har
  • Options
    The world of counter stamped coins is fascinating, I'm always surprised at the prices they bring-- I only have one, that I paid $22 for, an EF 1901 Morgan-S with an S stamped on the obverse (neck) and reverse (eagle breast)--It's an attractive coin but I have no idea what the counter stamp means, if anything.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I just bought one...a 1984-P Kennedy 50c 24K Gold counterstamped 1960 - 1980 on the obv. for $3.99...I thought it was junk when I got it...what does anyone else think?

~*Ms.Bugs*~
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    Now wouldn't it be cool to find out a little more about those stamps.

Thanks for the linkimage
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if that one is listed in Rulau.

Hmm. Maybe later. Too lazy to go get the book down off the shelf.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a very interesting coin and counterstamps are fun to research and collect. They
    can be difficult to authenticate though. One should be wary of paying large premiums
    for these unless he has the expertise to know that it is original and from that era.
    There are lots of collectors of these and some specialize in official government CS and
    others in CS for advertising or other reasons.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Look at the premium on this piece! WOW!
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    Dumb newbie question.

What does a counterstamp signify? Is it similar to chop marks on a trade dollar?
    The Body of Benjamin Franklin Printer (Like the cover of an old book Its contents torn out and stript of its lettering and gilding) lies here, food for worms.
    But the work shall not be lost for it will (as he believed) appear once more in a new and more elegant edition revised and corrected
    by The Author.

(Ben's epitaph)
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...................just what i need, an oppurtunity ti show my babies!!

al h.image

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

What does a counterstamp signify? Is it similar to chop marks on a trade dollar? >>

Coins have been counterstamped for myriad reasons. Some coins like many Costa Rican
    coins are recalled and remonetized at a new denomination. Other governments have stamped
    their own symbols into foreign coins to monetize them for use locally. Some of my favorites are
    the Porto Rico counterstamps. Some are restruck to commemorate an event or anniversary and
    such coins have been made in the US and places like Tonga by official issuers. They are also
    sometimes counterstamped by private enterprise or individuals for advertising or other reasons.
    Some have been cancelled by the issuer. Many of the recently retired European coins were
    destroyed prior to being melted.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! $388 for an AG3 coin that would be worth $20 without the counterstamps. In 1999 B&M sold a VF20 bust half counterstamped "DERINGER/PHILA" for $2875.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file