Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

who should be the next president depicted on a coin

and what denomination should it be.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teddy Roosevelt.

I don't care what denomination, as long as it's a circulating regular issue, not a commem.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Polk... He is the only persident to fulfill all his campaign promises!!!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    I know he's not a president.... but I just made a lofty bet that the next significant person will be the good Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
    "Today is the youngest you will ever be"
  • Options
    Jefferson Davis. image

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i,ve heard that proposal too. To have MLK Jr. on our dollar coin. I would not doubt that that could really happen.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MLK will make it onto a commemorative, there's no doubt. I don't think they would put him on a circulating business-issue coin. He is overdue- I'm surprised they haven't done him already. TR is also overdue, though he might have snuck onto a modern commemorative without my noticing(?)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Ronald Reagan. He fulfilled his campaign promises as well.

He brought down the Berlin wall and ended the USSR as it existed and won the cold war.

It's long past time to remove FDR from the dime. Very little about him was good and we are still suffering from his policies.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Teddy Roosevelt is on the new wildlife medals the mint is selling.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a dead President - how about Clinton!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really starting to like this LakeSammMan guy image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Presidents??? Phooey! Put Elvis on a dollar coin! Buddy Holly on the Half...... and Fats Domino on the nickel! Now your talking Hepcat Coins!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Andrew Jackson!
  • Options
    Sam Houston. image

• Options
    Let's start recognizing people that have realy helped civilization (no offense Lucy) like Pasteur, Salk, etc.
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    ksteelheader
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    I think it should depict Andrew Jackson running after his attempted assailant with his cane! There's a way to show people that they can't mess with us. image
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's start recognizing people that have realy helped civilization >>

THIS IS WHAT ELVIS DID!!!!!!!!

You ever hear All Shook Up?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Let's get rid of the dead president series and get back to a few new images of Liberty!
  • Options

<< <i>Let's start recognizing people that have realy helped civilization (no offense Lucy) like Pasteur, Salk, etc. >>

Bill Gates ? image

• Options
    Liberty.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    Teddy Roosevelt.

I don't care what denomination, as long as it's a commem, not a circulating regular issue. image

No more presidents hijacking circulating coinage, please.

I kind of like the idea of a two coin set (Half Dollar, and $1 Gold?) honoring Teddy's contributions to numismatics and conservation, respectively.

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    None, as Washington said, "I think the citizens would perfer to see Miss Liberty then Presidents". (Paraphased)
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    No More Ugly Dead Presidents!!! Return To The Classic Liberty Icons!!!
  • Options
    Agreed! No more dead presidents please.
  • Options
    How about a Clinton quarter? The only problem is it would be worth only 20c cuz you couldn't take it at face value...
  • Options
    Miss Liberty is the way to go....
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John Adams gets my vote.

Not so much for what he did as President although he managed to keep us out of war with France and held the country together during the first few years of the post Washington presidency (no small feat). But add to that his major contributions in arguing for independence, helping to draft the Declaration of Independence (and commissioning Jefferson to put the principles on paper), fighting to overcome the resistance to making Washington commander in chief, gaining financial support from the Dutch to fight the war and negotiator of the Paris peace treaty between England and the U.S. He was also a staunch abolitionist and one of the few Founders that reputated slavery and never owned slaves.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I agree with the many who want Dead Presidents off our coins, but that was not the question.

My answer is "Old Hickory" Andrew Jackson. It was during his administration that the US Mint established the first Branch Mints at New Orleans, Dahlonega, and Charlotte.
  • Options
    If not Liberty...my first choice; then Ronald Reagan.
    Go well.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the "No more dead presidents" club. Place Miss Liberty on coins.

As for Lakesammman's idea, now that is thinking outside the box!! Gotta give you an A+ for effort.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    James Madison on the dime. Appropriate coin because of his stature.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    homerunhall

K S
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John Hanson...the first President of the US gets my vote....put him proud on the new $1 coin and add some real silver to it...so it has some respect.... Washington on the paper dollar and Hanson on a good coin...thats the ticket!!!!
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hillary Clinton
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's get rid of the dead president series and get back to a few new images of Liberty! >>

EXACTLY!!!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    wasn't there some dude who was technically president for like only 1 day?

K S
  • Options

<< <i>Andrew Jackson! >>

you mean Peter Gammons?
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options

<< <i>wasn't there some dude who was technically president for like only 1 day?

K S >>

No.....I think they decided that Al Haig wasn't in charge. image
    Go well.
  • Options
    Forget presidents. Put somebody on the american coin that makes everybody automatically think "American!"

John Wayne.
    Bill Ferguson
  • Options

<< <i>and what denomination should it be. >>

I don't care but lets not put a new one on a denomination until the year 3003. Until then, lets try something a little different again and see how it goes.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    For Vice President - Spiro Agnew on the -$20 coin.
    For President - Teddy Roosevelt for me too. $5 coin the size of an Ike Dollar.
    Other notable American - Industrialist and Banker JP Morgan.
  • Options
    I agree Teddy deserves a place on a coin. However, we begin to set up a semi-monarchy (inherited political power) if you think about the fact that FDR has the dime. Will we see Herbert and W on coins in the next century.

Sorry, current disgust for the passing of political power from daddy to son (Bush and Gore) has me a little peeved. I thought one of the reasons for founding this country was to end political birthrights.
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    If the Mint does use the image of a president, I would go with Teddy Roosevelt on the dime (keeping it in the family). Personally, I'd prefer to see more classic styles like Lady Liberty. I think MLK, jr would make a great commerative coin. I'd like to see a comem with some of the famous industialists/robber barron/financiers, like Carnegie, Morgan, Rockefeller and Vanderbilt, but there are a lot of people that would take exception to that.
    Brian
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    Martin Luther King
    FDR
    maybe even TR im not sure if you all would go with that one.
    i think it would be cool to see the 1980 olympic hockey team on a dollar coin the size of an IKE.

jay
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116

<< <i>Presidents??? Phooey! Put Elvis on a dollar coin! Buddy Holly on the Half...... and Fats Domino on the nickel! Now your talking Hepcat Coins! >>

would fats domino fit on a nickel? we need to save him for a larger coin
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    Forget the politicians, famous or infamous, and revive the cool and inspring images of "Liberty"! Too often politicians represent the worst of our system, but "Liberty" reminds us of the best!
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    OPENHIEMERimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Franklin Pierce. Let's give the man the respect he deserves. On a new dollar.

Greg
  • Options
    Millard Fillmore
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Millard was my second choice with Martin Van Buren being a distant third. Chester Arthur anyone?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file