Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your some of your upgrade stories

I like to hunt down Morgans to crack them and send them in for a upgrade. I usually only will send in a coin once. Tell me some of your upgrade stories with prices you paid, what grade you bought them at, what holder and then what you sold them for.

1. I like this one. I bought a 80s Morgan in a rattler ms66 holder at the last Long Beach for a premium which was $250 (greysheet at the time was $170). I put the coin in my case and a dealer came around and asked about the coin. I told him it was $325 because I believed it would upgrade to a ms67. He told me he had been buying Morgans for over 20 years and it would not upgrade. Well, it went to PCGS the next morning and upgraded to a ms67 and was sold immediatley for $650 to another dealer.

2. I was leaving the same LB show Sunday morning and picked out a 81s in ms66 in the second gen PCGS holder. Sent it into PCGS and it came back a ms67 sold for $675 immediately in Chicago.

3. I bought a 1885 O in a ms66 NGC holder from a dealer in Houston. I sent it into PCGS the cross and it did. I sent it in another time RAW and it came back a ms67 (pop top). It was bought for $250 and sold in the PCGS ms67 holder for $1500 on Ebay.

Of course I have had coins come back the same grade but not one has come back lower than what I sent it in after cracking it.

Let's here your stories. I might add some others if I remember them. Remember, buy the coin, not the holder

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    BINed a PCGS 1965 MS67 SMS Kennedy from R&I for $45 because I thought they got screwed on the cameo designation. Cracked it out, resubmitted, came back 67CAM, sold for $385. Done that with SMS coins several times (mostly R&I), but that one was the best return.

Bought a PCGS PR67 Accented Hair for $37, again because I thought PCGS blew the CAM designation. Cracked out, resubmitted, now in a 67CAM holder. Kept that one, though. image

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 1886 ms64 anacs morgan for $40 on eBay.
    Sent it to pcgs for crossover it came back dnc-thumbed.
    I cracked it out and sent it back to pcgs and it came back in a bodybag as wizzed-cleaned.
    I sent it to anacs and it came back ms65.
    Sold it for $74 and about broke even.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I bought a silver war nickel set on E-bay for $40, sent two of the nickels to PCGS the 44-D and the 44-S both came back MS66FS. The 44-S just sold for $306.67 and the 44-D sold for $44!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Other than submitting raw coins and recieving a higher grade, its only happened once when I submitted an NGC MS62 1834 1/2 cent for cross to PCGS and it came back a 63.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought a pair of nicely toned ANACS bust halves in 62 and 63 at the FUN auction in 2002. Paid premium money. Couldn't get anyone to even look at them even though I had compliments on them. Well both came back as NGC 64's and I made about $1500 on the pair.

At the 2003 FUN show I submitted a resubmitted a very PQ64 $20 Lib that I had bought just before the show for $950. No one paid any interest to it as it sat in the 64 holder. One knowledgeable dealer who used to grade for PCGS said it would not upgrade. I wanted at least $1300 for the piece and got no looks. When it came back as a 65 the next day I sold it to the same ex-grader for
    $2400.

Of course I don't want to talk about the ones that when cracked come back body-bagged as AT'd. Those only depress me. image

My favorite story (told before here) is the raw 64+ 1838-0 dime that got 3 diff grades in 2 months. First time I got it graded it received the right grade (NGC64). Next time it went out it went PCGS63. No one would touch it for 2/3 of what I paid. A month later when hoping to get it back to a 64 holder it went NGC 65. Sold it for $15000 (over twice what I paid) and at the time it was the first 65 piece graded.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This really makes me wonder if a 20% adjustment for crackouts in terms of determining the population for a coin based on the pop reports is even in the ball park.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Okay --- here's the real question -- Under what service level was the coin upgrade, economy, regular, same day?

I'm going to submit several of my Peace $ for upgrade @ Long Beach as was wondering if the percentage chance of upgrade increases with the higher level service I pay for.

Any thoughts or real world experiences?

Thanks
    Michael
  • Options
    While I do not play the crackout game, mmy favorite transaction upgrade of a raw coin from a dealer that thought he could grade raw coins pretty well sold me a type date saint raw as a 63 in the fall of 1988 for 1000 dollars, for any of you that know what pcgs 64 saints were brining in the early part of 1989 know I had a big smile on my face when it came back as a 64. That coin paid for my wifes engagement ring and a few other things. That was the last coin I bought before I left the hobby in 1989.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    #2 and #3 above were $30 submissions.

I really don't think it matters what you pay.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay --- here's the real question -- Under what service level was the coin upgrade, economy, regular, same day?

I'm going to submit several of my Peace $ for upgrade @ Long Beach as was wondering if the percentage chance of upgrade increases with the higher level service I pay for.

Any thoughts or real world experiences?

Thanks
    Michael

>>

ahhh the smell of coffee...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Under what service level was the coin upgrade, economy, regular, same day? >>

All of mine have been economy or modern.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I have lots of these stories.

1) I hit the BIN on a war nickel set on eBay for $55. I sent 5 to NGC and they all came back 67*, I sold the whole group
    including the raw ones I had left for $1200 to a dealer. The dealer got the 43D & 43S to cross to PCGS as 67FS, they
    were rainbow toned.

2) I bought a 50S Roosie off ebay ICG MS68 for $90. The photo made the coin look brown. When I received it the obverse
    was 100% toned in light rainbow colors. I sold it to a dealer for $600. The dealer cracked it and PCGS also graded it MS68.

3) I bought a 1954 broken mint set on eBay for $135. Replaced the dime (54S) with another one and sold the mint set back on eBay
    for $175. Sent the dime to ICG and it graded MS68, Sold it to a dealer for $2500. Its now in a PCGS MS68 holder pop 1.

By this time I learned to quit selling the damn things and send them to PCGS myself.

4) I bought a 46S & 55D roosie raw on eBay for $35 each. But this time I learned my lesson so I sent them to PCGS myself.
    The 46S was graded MS68 and the 55D was graded MS68FB. I still have both.

Onlyroosies
  • Options
    bought a SL half from a board member for $600. Sold it on E-bay the next week for $900. Didn't do nothin' to it image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file