Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do people collect old Mint Bags?

Hi all, and I hope everyone had a safe July 4th.

I have a couple of older mint bags ($50 cent) from 1967,68p and 79d. Does anyone collect these things?

Just wondering.

Thanks
Tom

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    A couple of old bags tried to collect me and they smelled like spearmint, does that count.
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    I have a few mint bags , but there still sewn shut with pennies from the 80's. $50.00 bags when you could still get them from the banks and not order them from the mint. It's a shame you can't walk into a bank and buy the small and large bags anymore, as well as mint rolls.
    On the up side of the rolls from Wells-Farge and Brinks, you may find more interesting items that have been floating around in circulation.
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Yes, I've got two 1884 Morgan bags from the Carson City Mint and a single bag from the New Orleans mint. I forget if the latter is marked by date.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 8 or 9 of 1999 and 2000 cent bags.

I have nothing older, though it may be nice to have oneof those Morgan bags......image Hint-Hintimage
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few collectors for these. My understanding is that it's mostly older
    bags that have value. Many banks give bags free to people who buy a lot of rolls
    as a carrying bag. Cent bags tend to be pretty easy.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Yep Sam.....( looking through mint bag collection...)...They,ve given me 5 or 6 1c bags and I see I have a
    $1000 Quarters bag. WOO HOOO.

Is the quarters bag worth more? image

What do the letters near the bottom mean.
    GIDC on two 1 cent bags
    SWB on one 1 cent bag
    LI INC on a 1 cent bag ,also on the quarter bag

I guess SWB is SouthWest Bank maybe?
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Trooper,

Yes, some of the older, classic coin mint bags such as Morgan or Peace dollars and gold coins are very collectable and sometimes fetch surprisingly high prices when offered at auction.

dragon
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Thanks for the replies all.
    These are all stamped "U.S Mint" on them. I'll probably put them on Ebay and see what someone will pay for them. I really have no use for them nor am I going to start another sector of collecting.
    Thanks again
    Tom
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Back years ago I had an old Coins Magazine that had a story about the CC dollars and the upcoming GSA sales that pictured the dollars all still piled up in their original bags. In the story it said that after the dollars were sold the GSA would also sell off the original mint bags as well. Well as far as I know they never did and I have always wondered what ever happened to those CC dollar bags. I would have loved to have purchased one or more of them. GSAguy do have any info as to what happened to the bags?
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Conder, in my GSA research, I've not only not seen anything related to how the CC bags were finally disposed of, I've also not seen any mention by the GSA of what they intended to do with them. I'd love to get a copy of that article if you could somehow find it.

As an arm of the government with many functions, one of which is to dispose of used government property, I'm sure the GSA sold the bags as you suggest. If I had to guess though, they probably sold them in large lots through a 'standard' GSA sale. However, with something like 3,000 mint bags in the hoard, it is strange that few of them are ever seen on the market. In my 20+ years of collecting GSA coins, I've seen only about 5 original mint bags offered for sale. I own 3 of those!

I've also often wondered what happened to all the wooden boxes with the plexi-glass tops that they used to sort the coins. I've got one photograph that shows a thousand or more of these boxes stacked in a wharehouse.

GSAGUY

P.S. How does one get a copy of your book?image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    Some people collect old mint bags because they like to store coins in them

I have no idea why people would like mint bags or Wayte Raymond folders for long term coin storage when PCGS slabs are so convenient yet economical
  • Options
    GOOD THREAD!!!! I often wondered myself if anyone collected them. I have a few myself (not that I collect them) I have acquired over the years inlc. a 1986 Linc cent bag. It will be interesting to see how many replies you receive to this thread.
    AL(Copperhead)
    Gotta love them Mercs
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If one could get the old canvass bags used to store Morgan dollars, we could use them

to tone our new sparklin coins.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Some men wind up collecting only one old bag Ha Ha! (Glad my wife won't see this)!!!
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Gat
    That's a good one!!!

It's funny on how the three bags (I have mention on the first post) were at a garage sale and used to hold old fishing reels. I wasn't interested in the reels but I bought the bags. So i'm guessing there are probably some unique ones(bags) out there being used for storing some odd stuff. Probably sitting in a garage or basement filled with roofing nails and such.
    Tom
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    They are tough canvas bags and would work for almost any job.
    One bag I had looked dirty so I went to soak it......It seemed to repell water
    pretty good. Once wet though, it seemed to hold water very well.

Are Mint bags treated with Scothguard* or something?
  • Options

I have a $1000 Quarters bag, and there's a crease through the stamped label. Nice ink-free streak, and the label lines are broken and offset. Everyone loves errors ...lol
    I still haven't figured out how to post photo url's on this phone ... I'd love to post a photo

• Options

Ok ... I created a link, copied it, pasted it in the box ... What am I doing wrong? Anyone?

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinguy1963 said:
    Ok ... I created a link, copied it, pasted it in the box ... What am I doing wrong? Anyone?

So your role is Applicant like mine. This role has limited usage. At some point the mod's will approve to Member and then more access is opened up.

As an Applicant so far:
    For pictures I could not find a way to do any copy paste into the comment box that worked. Using the drop down box (one on the far right) Image URL, I have found that image URL for collectors universe / pcgs seem to work. Image URL outside of that are maybe / maybe not.

For links, so far a copy and paste of the link into the large comment box has worked. But perhaps they are also a maybe / maybe not and I have just hit the ones that work and you found one that is restricted. I have not tried the drop down box for links URL since the other has worked so far.

Hope this helps.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

And for future reference, it might be better to start a new thread rather than resurrecting a 19 year old one. ;)

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can use this to insert a picture. Click on the area that the arrow is pointing at. You can then choose a picture that you saved to your photo library, or drag and drop.

And yes, I do like and collect a few coin bags! :)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

You can use this to insert a picture. Click on the area that the arrow is pointing at. You can then choose a picture that you saved to your photo library, or drag and drop.

The OP won't have that option intil their User Role goes from Applicant to Member. ;)

• Options

@CoinHoarder
    HIs role is Applicant (like mine) and therefore limited access. My above post describes what I have found but it could vary as noted.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most collections have a bank bag or two in them. I’ve saved them over the years.

• Options

@DNADave
    You are correct here - have a zip up bank bag.
    Had an old penny bag but it deteriorated so much that if you picked it up it dropped fibers and junk all over. It went to the trash.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an old bag. That’s enough.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2022 6:57PM

I do have 2 Mint Bags, both Quarter bags!

The rest are Bank Bags.
    3- Modern Zipper type

One with a lock & key!

3- Old Canvas

This one, I use everyday for my CRHunting!

Note:

TCF Bank is now defunct.
    Huntington,
    has replaced them, my bank.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    And for future reference, it might be better to start a new thread rather than resurrecting a 19 year old one

Actually, the info on the plexiglas sorting boxes is interesting, also the many CC bags unaccounted.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file