Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on 1877 Indian?(updated with final post)

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thanks to all

Comments

• Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect IHC's at this time, will probably be my next series. So dunno about grade or authenticity but i like it.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    you didn't say wether m.s. or proof, but either way i don't like it, i'm probably wrong cause it's slabbed but it doesn't have a natural look to me.
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    nice brown xf-45, a couple more diamonds and it would AU.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I doubt it's proof because of the weak N.
  • Options
    mike you might be right about the grade, but there is something about the color [mostly red that just doesn't look right to me] maybe it's my own thoght that any copper below au should be chochlate brown
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice EF-45. Given today's tendency to overgrade key coins, it could be called an AU, which is not too far from wrong.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Les, that is not an unusual color and Bill exactly my thoughts too.
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    XFRB.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms61 and very original ?

Excellent Eye-appeal.

Paul
  • Options
    It's a beautiful coin.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Looks like an AU to me that would warrant an XF-40 value because of the specks. While not unatractive, I usually opt for a problem free coin in a lessor grade if that's all my wallet can take. I've seen all kinds of original color on Indians and that color is not uncommon.

While I realize that not everyone is bothered by problem coins, if I notice something distracting about a coin, that's all I will ever be able to see and that drives me nuts. If my first reaction is to be drawn toward a flaw on a coin then I have to pass on it. That's just me, but you asked for an honest take and many in the hobby share my view.

If you already own the coin and enjoy it then that's all that matters. If not, the date is easily obtained in all grades without distractions.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks OK to me. I bought this one in the Heritage Signature sale Thursday night.image
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Very attractive for the date. It does have what looks like a deep spot (?) in the L of LIBERTY which may have knocked the grade down, but a great strike for that year.
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    As a result of the spotting on the obverse, I don't like it. As is Vf35, no spotting XF45?
  • Options
    Thanks for all your input. I am going to pass on further bidding on this coin. I currently have a nice PCGS-50 that has exceptional surfaces with a beautiful even brown color. I just saw this coin being in a PCGS-58 holder with photo-seal and thought I would like to look into it further. But when the seller sent me the close up photo's, the spotting really bothererd me. The angled E-bay photo's seem to hide the true surface's of the coin and portray the coin as having better eye-appeal than it is.

Also, the seller seemed to be extremely intrested in my PCGS-50, wanting to know if I was planning on selling it, if I bought this one. He said that he is looking for one with an even brown color to match his set. To me I would much rather own a PCGS-58 than a 50 if it were nice???

Thanks for all the input from the board. What an invaulable resource!!

Jay Parrino still has current high bid at 2275.00 for those who want to look at the auction. Ends Tuesday!
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    mid AU to low BU BN some low spots on both obv and rev.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    REMEBER THIS POST, iTS 5 MINUTES TO GO AND NOW IN EXCESS OF 2900.00 .
    oBVIOUSLY SOME PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE THE PHOTO'S THAT i HAVE OF THE COIN??????
  • Options
    like it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file