www.LSRarecoins.com
Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
Baltimore July 14-17
Chicago August 11-15

Comments

• Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭
    He basically had the Eliasberg collection............................................as inventory.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I sold a PCGS VG8 1877 Indian to him one time on ebay. Didn't seem like a coin he'd be after but I used to see him bidding VERY strongly on certified Key date coinage on Ebay.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He bids very strong on nice collector grade key-date coins(Strictly PCGS )

If you ever saw his price list, you would know why?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    yep Jim,
    He lists them very strongly too!

A while back he sent me a large full color book of coins for sale. Some real jaw droppers in the bunch. I enjoyed just looking at it.
  • Options
    I think he is a jacka$$. Great material at "stick - em " up prices. And he always has a story to tell you about how your looking for a 67 but he is currently waiting to get his 68 back from PCGS. If you are in his league, get your dealer to deal with him. I won't ever waste my time with him again. Just my opinion of course image
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    He was arrested for his involvement with the 1933 Double Eagle fiasco. He lives/works in Kansas City, MO......not far from me.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Experience buying from Jay Parrino? Geez! I'm just a middle-class working schmuck! I couldn't afford the nastiest stuff from Parrino's junkbox!

Sometimes it's fun to read his catalogs and dream, though...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have known Jay Parrino since 1979. I bought from him for several years in the mid 1990's when it seemed that he had the coins I was willing to "die" for.

He was very good to me. Yes, he was not cheap but let me give you an example of what he sold me in 1997.

1945-P 10c NGC MS-67FB...... $11,000.

It was better than the PCGS MS-67FB slabbed ones I have seen.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Oreville, are you kidding me? What's that 1945-P piece of pocket change worth today? $500?? Why would you pay $11,000 for something so common?
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    a 45p full band is a extreme conditional rarity and commands a high premium.... yeah a 45p in and of itself is common, but one with full rounded split bands is one of the toughest Winged Libertys to find......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    i think one of those 45p's in 65-67 FB went for over 40,000 last night. I could be wrong.....
  • Options
    NumisEd: I kid you not. Take a look at the values of such dime today. Anything but common.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold a PCGS VG8 1877 Indian to him one time on ebay. Didn't seem like a coin he'd be after >>

He battled it out with Bear on a PCGS slabbed purple toned Lincoln I sold on eBay. Bear won. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's good at what he does - buys the top coins and holds them hostage. It's a smart plan and has worked for him over the years. I suspect he's more successful at getting the grades he wants too, though I could never prove it....just a hunch.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>I suspect he's more successful at getting the grades he wants too >>

Since PCGS seems to have everyone here convinced that no one in the grading room knows who submitted the coin or how much has been paid by the coin's submitter in annual grading fees, how is it so many insinuate that certain dealers receive better grades than collectors???? image

Just wondering. image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better customers get percs in all businesses - are you implying the coin business is any different?? Purer?? Just doesn't pass the reality/human nature "sniff test".
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    So, does uh Mr. Parrino have any daughters?image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    I thought that a 1911 Barber Dime just sold for $18000. Why would a 45-P go for $11K? No offense Oreville.
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    Have you ever tried looking for a 45-P with FB? The only ones I've ever seen have never been FB or even close.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    NumisEd: The 1945-P mercury dime in MS-67 FB (Full Band) now is shown on PCGS coin prices listing at $30,000. It is doubtful that a 1945-P mercury dime in MS-67 FB will sell for less than $30,000 anymore. The 1945-P dime in mint state and full band is RARER than the 1911 Barber dime and certainly quite close in rarity to the 1911 dime in MS-67FB.

Sure a non FB 1945-P dime in MS-67 is as common as they come and very VERY cheap. Have you done your homework on the difference between non FB and FB?

I am certainly not offended but I can't tell if you are asking to learn about this area of numismatics or if you believe you are correct in your assessment about 1945-P FB mercs and are trying to debate the subject?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh, yes - Jay Parrino. I used to go to his website and shake my head in amazement. Now I go to his website and shake my head in amazement. image
  • Options
    Oreville, I really have learned something here. I don't collect Mercury Dimes, so I had no idea. I own several hundred circulated dimes, and most of them are 1945's. Based on what you are telling me, I am going to guess that people bought up all of the 1945-P bank wrapped dime rolls a LONG, LONG time ago and the chances of finding a 45-P FB is like finding a needle in a haystack. I stand corrected. I guess the 45-P dime in 67 FB is similar to the 1953-S Franklin with FBL. True?
  • Options
    NumisEd: A good question:

Per the January 2003 PCGS pop report book:

1945-P FB dime in PCGS mint state grades from 60 to 68....0, 0,7,9,39,32,9,3,0 (total 99 in mint state)
    1953-S FBL 50c in PCGS mint state grades from 60 to 68....0, 0,0,2,13,18,1,0,0 (total 34 in mint state)
    1911 dime in PCGS mint state grades from 60 to 68..5,21,104,158,160,97,49,8,1 (total 703 in mint state)
  • Options
    zepzep Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Re: The Mint
    I've listened to a lot of talk about Jay over the years but my experiences with him were always positive. Notice I did not say easy. Many people were turned off by his asking prices but the negotiated prices were reasonable. Anyhow, it was evident a long time ago that his model could not be sustained because those great coins often find long-term homes.
  • Options
    No complaints about Jay Parrino. I bought twice from him and twice have gotten two great coins.

Then, just recently, Warren Mills came in from Rare Coins of New Hampshire and looked at one of them: the 1864 small motto 2 cent piece in 65 proof red. Warren said: "That's an absolute beaut. Let me upgrade that one for you."

I gave it to him and it cameo'd. It's now pop 1/0, and the only small motto graded cameo in existence (and only one of 5 cameos in the whole 2 cent piece series).

So yes, Parrino charges a lot, but then quality pays off in the long run.

Best,

Just having fun!
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options

is jay parrino still alive? if not what happened to him?

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2023 6:11PM

I remember getting their catalogs, in the mail, when I was a youngster of 20-something. LOL

The inventory was, completely, out of my reach/league but soooo exciting to look at.

I felt honored and privileged that they even thought enough to send me one!! LOL

The FUNNY thing is that those $500K and $1M coins are now worth 5-10x that much!!! :o:s

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was the champion of the 20-coin box approach to building a great manageable collection.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

He used to post full page ads in coin mags of the 1927-D Saint he owned.

He wasn't bashful abut the stuff he had.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    I remember getting their catalogs, in the mail, when I was a youngster of 20-something. LOL

The inventory was, completely, out of my reach/league but soooo exciting to look at.

I felt honored and privileged that they even thought enough to send me one!! LOL

The FUNNY thing is that those $500K and $1M coins are now worth 5-10x that much!!! :o:s

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@lilolme said:

@Walkerfan said:

That's WAY COOL! B)

Wish I'd have kept some of mine.

Thanks for posting this.

How about some pix of the inside and prices?

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out this 2003 archive of his website.
    Includes photos and prices.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20030602071825/http://jp-themint.com/GetSub.cfm?catID=1

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

More pages than I thought. Rough photos and in no order as I copied and pasted as a group. Sorry some are POR (which I did last but might not post that way).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kolbe Fanning sold a set of his four pricelists for more than 2K a few days ago. Sadly, I don't have a set.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@Cladiator said:
    I miss Lucy.

I miss NumisEd.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder what happened to that PCGS Proof 66 1921 Missouri 2x2 half dollar he listed as the most valuable commemorative coin at $175,000?

I don't see it listed in today's PCGS population or price guide

• Options
    edited June 14, 2023 8:21PM

@lilolme Thanks a lot for that trip down memory lane. Really, really cool. 👍

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

He has some awesome registry sets including complete sets of early $10 gold with varieties, along with complete early dollars and FH and DB half dimes with varieties.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

@DisneyFan said:
    Wonder what happened to that PCGS Proof 66 1921 Missouri 2x2 half dollar he listed as the most valuable commemorative coin at $175,000?

I don't see it listed in today's PCGS population or price guide

It's still there.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1921-50c-missouri-2x4/9332

Andy Lustig

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2023 2:08AM

READ THE COVER
    THE ARTICLE REGARDING THE COIN IS "FOOLS GOLD"

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:

READ THE COVER

I think your photo illustrates why we need to slab our beautiful coins

• Options

@tcollects said:

@Soldi said:

READ THE COVER

I think your photo illustrates why we need to slab our beautiful coins

Yes, no sense studying the art the history and stories surrounding the fantastic journey we're on
    How Shallow

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭

hey now, you're the one who posted the Playboy ;)

• Options

@tcollects said:
    hey now, you're the one who posted the Playboy ;)

Grow Up ! I didn't write nor sell the VERY FINE ARTICLE you short sighted self rightous balderdash

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

I met Jay at the 1996 ANA show and admired his top pop early copper in person.
    I was apparently unworthy of having catalogs mailed to me, but they had these inserts in Coinworld magazine. My special large cent edition was swiped by one of my EAC buddies, but I still have this one. And I figured you’d also want to see some of the Jack Lee walkers he was offering:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing the catalogs and some of his coins, they were beyond awesome.

Never had any personal dealings with him, but I remember him outbidding me for a PCGS AU-58 1878 $20 on Ebay. That coin was beautiful and flashy and had very PL surfaces (back before they designated that). Apparently he saw the beauty and flash too.

• Options
    17751775 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Sold him a deal of rare paper money /Including a Kansas Red Seal $10/ saw them all later in his catalog (which I still have ) at about twice what I sold them for. Had no problem with that

• Options
    edited June 15, 2023 7:23AM

@Walkerguy21D said:

@Walkerfan said:

I met Jay at the 1996 ANA show and admired his top pop early copper in person.
    I was apparently unworthy of having catalogs mailed to me, but they had these inserts in Coinworld magazine. My special large cent edition was swiped by one of my EAC buddies, but I still have this one. And I figured you’d also want to see some of the Jack Lee walkers he was offering:

💜💜💜 👍👍👍 🙏🙏🙏

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file