Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Conder101: First presentation slab with the actual word?

Here is a new Presentation slab to add to the next edition slab book. The two slabs within the presentaion section don't have the words "presentation" on them, but this one does. Does that make it the first presentation slab with the word presentation or have you found another after the book was printed?

imageimage

Cameron Kiefer

Comments

• Options
    TTT.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    This is the first slab I have seen that states Presentation on it but I would be interested in knowing a little more history behind it such as who they were "presented" to and why. I defined Presentation slab as slabs that were given in recognition of the recipiant having done some specific thing such as the NGC 9P1 given to those girl scouts who completed their coin collecting badge at the 2002 ANA class, or the PCGS 6P1 given to those who joined the higher levels of the PCGS Collectors Club. Or in the case of the ICG university of Texas slab only given to those who registered for and took the Numismatics course at the University of Texas.

Who were these given to and why? If they were just handed out to anyone who happened to come by the SDRT booth then these may be more properly considered to be samples even thogh it says Presentation. (Except that they don't really fit there either) I don't know I may have to open a new Advertising catagory for slabs that are simply Show souvineers. A couple of the ICG sample slabs would actually fit in such a catagory better than the sample slabs. Specificly ICG 2S3 and 2S4. ANACS 15N4, 15N5, and ICG 1N3 would also probably fit better in such a catagory.

What do you think? Feedback from anyone else who has a copy of the slab book and can examine the referenced varieties would also be welcome
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    If they were just handed out to anyone who happened to come by the SDRT booth then these may be more properly considered to be samples even thogh it says Presentation. (Except that they don't really fit there either) I don't know I may have to open a new Advertising catagory for slabs that are simply Show souvineers.

I have been checking out my book leisurely, so I haven't made it to the "presentation slabs" yet, but my question is:

Assume that the "topic" slab was just given out, why would it be any different than one the "collectors club" souvenir? I have a "gift" slab from B&M. Where would you categorize these "gift" slabs?
    Gilbert
  • Options
    kieferscoinskieferscoins Posts: 10,017
    Conder101:

I bought the piece from kyleknapp here on the boards and he told me that he "acquired it from Jeff Oxman at a Long Beach convention, about a year ago." I don't know if it was given out at the show, or just if a few were made. This was the first one I had ever seen. So a presentation slab is something given out for completing a specific thing? This would make all the YN NGC convention sample slabs, presentation slabs/sample slabs at the same time, since they are only given out to YN's who complete the YN treasure trivia game - they are not given out at the YN table or the NGC table.

I think the whole presentation section is a good idea, but very undefined. I disagree on the UT texas ICG slabs. It was a suprise gift on the part of ICG to the students to show an example of their slab, and not a part of the class. The students did not pay, or have to do anything except show up to class. I still consider it a sample since ICG gave the students a "sample" of their work instead of a reward for listening to their speech.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    When I listed the YN Treasure hunt slab (NGC 9S1) I debated exactly where to put it, Sample or Presentation. It would fit in either one and in the end I chose Sample based upon the use of the word on the slab. Then when the girl scount version came out I had the same problem so I double listed it. In hindsight I can see that I should have gone back and double referenced 9S1 as well.

I'm afraid I still disagree on the UT slab. I understand that it was not part of the class and that the students didn't know they would be getting it. You say the students didn't have to do anything except show up for class, well that is EXACTLY what they had to do! They got the slab for signing up for the course and for showing up in class. It is quite obvious from the slab that it was specificly made up for those students who took this class at the University of Texas. It was specificly made up to be presented to the members of this class. If ICG just wanted them to have a sample of an ICG slab, why not just use a regular ICG sample slab instead of making up a special limited edition just for this class?

I agree that the Presentation catagory is not defined well and I am open to suggestions as how to define it better. Slabs intended to be given to a specific target group, are not given away randomly, and are not purchasable from the certification company?

Gilbert,

I'm not sure what "collectors club" slab you are referring to unless it is the one given to those who join the gold or platinum levels of the PCGS Collectors Club. It is a presentation slab simply because it is NOT "just given out" PCGS does not just hand out slabs with that design. A specific action must be taken, the joining of the club at the higher levels. As for the B&M New Hampshire sample, it WAS just given out randomly and so does not qualify as a Presentation slab. Frankly it doesn't fit very well as a sample slab either and would fit better in the Advertising catagory I postulated on in my earlier post.
  • Options

<< <i>Slabs intended to be given to a specific target group, are not given away randomly, and are not purchasable from the certification company? >>

That is alot better definition. It would apply to the ICG Texas slab and the NGC YN's slab. Cross refencing the YN slabs was good, and I think you should keep it that way.

Off topic, but one suggestion for the book: Could you explain how you came up with the numbering system and the diffences in each section. I didn't see that in the book.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Since we are on the topic of rare slab, I just wanted to share a neat one here on ebay. I am not the seller, but I wonder how much they will close at.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    OK, I will incorporate that definition into the second edition so that it more clearly explains what the Presentation slabs are.

I will also add a full explaination of the numbering system into the Introduction and clarify the numbering explaination at the start of each slab type section. (On pg 288 you will find a brief explaination of the numbering system for the sample slabs. A similar explaination for Novelty is on pg 344. Pg 387 for Presentation simply states that they follow the same system as Sample and Novelty slabs. And on Pg 392 for Body bags it explains that since the body bag types may overlap more than one slab variety type that I have simply numbered them in the order in which they were "discovered".) I will extend these explainations to make them clearer.

This is what I need and want, suggestions as to how I can improve the book.

By the way what do you think about the possibility of adding the Advertising catagory?
  • Options
    I think an Advertising section would be good, but should only be limited to Show promotions like the ICG one with the paper insert instead of a coin (don't have the book with me now) and the Bowers and Merena slabs given out at the shows.

Cameron Kiefer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file