Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Challenge to the whiners and complainers...

Ever notice the whiners and complainers rarely show images of their coins.....makes ya' wonder, doesn't it?

ANYONE CAN BE A CRITIC. It takes a real man do actually DO SOMETHING. And i don't consider buying coins "doing something".

Buying coins doesn't take anything more than cash, and all you have to do to get rich is have a dead rich parent...that did something.

How about some REAL photos of some REAL coins? And how about a write up that isn't a snoozer???

Comments

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I guess that I cant be a critic, cause im only a bear.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Of course I'm whinning and complaining,you have all the nice coins.
    I'm a charity case.Send a couple of free ones to me then write them off on your taxes.image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ever notice the whiners and complainers rarely show images of their coins.....makes ya' wonder, doesn't it? ANYONE CAN BE A CRITIC. It takes a real man do actually DO SOMETHING. And i don't consider buying coins "doing something". Buying coins doesn't take anything more than cash, and all you have to do to get rich is have a dead rich parent...that did something. How about some REAL photos of some REAL coins? And how about a write up that isn't a snoozer??? >>

Does this qualify?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3355&item=3008904366&rd=1 image

Edited: The thread asks for a "coin".

peacockcoins

• Options
    Anaconda, I love that 1834 proof Bust quarter NGC PF67 that you posted on the "Death Thread." Gorgeous coin !!!!

Of course, you know that when that coin was auctioned in September, 1998 by Heritage (Signature Sale, 9/98, Lot 6650), it realized $58,650. How much are you asking for it? Oh my, I see you have it advertised for $135,000 !!! Boy, it must have really cost you a lot to take those pretty photos image

I will say that your photos are among the best around, and your descriptions among the most engaging ... but are they worth a $75,000 markup over auction value? Jeez, I must be in the wrong business. Maybe I should become a "dealer" !!!!
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Okay, here's a coin.

Coin
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I'm just a poor ole construction worker (and I got canned last week) so I don't have much $$ to buy coins but here is one I'm really proud of.
    This is 2 naked chicks with an old Barber. The naked chicks kept rolling off my scanner so they aren't in the pict.
    This is a Barber ½. It is a 1897 Barber ½. It has a hole in it. I call it My Holey 1897 Barber ½.

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Braddick.....yes. You took the picture and did the write up and listed it. You are not an unproductive whining complainer.
  • Options
    I want to play:

1880 Trade Dollar NGC PR66 CAMEO

Easily among the most eye-appealing Proof Trade Dollars we have seen or offered in a very long time. Lovely, fairly deep cameo contrast between the frosted devices and the fields, which are also white, save for a hint of golden color at portions of the borders.The ultra deep, crystal clear mirror surfaces will cause you to stare at and appreciate this coin as you fall into a deep trance. Your eyelids are getting heavy, despite your quickened heart rate (from the excitement of viewing such a gorgeous coin). You are getting sleepy, you're getting your checkbook out and writing a check (for a fair price, of course), you are dreaming about a phenomenal looking Proof Trade Dollar being a part of your collection and a big smile appears on your face. Hurry, wake up and make this dream a reality, before someone else beats you to it.

• Options
    Hey Adrian - I'm a whiner, and a complainer...

but check my sig line. image
  • Options
    Sunnywood...just 'cause i'm asking 135K doesn't mean it's worth 135 or that someone will pay that. And yes, i know what Heritage sold it for.
  • Options
    Jayne....you are alluring. Alluring woman don't have to be productive. But you obviously are both. Nice cent.
  • Options
    Dog97...you're not unproductive. Cool Barber. I can just see it dangling around Jayne's alluring neck.
  • Options
    Mark...we all know you are neither unproductive nor a whiner.
  • Options

<< <i>Braddick.....yes. You took the picture and did the write up and listed it. You are not an unproductive whining complainer. >>

High praise indeed. NOW will you sell me your cool toned (PCGS MS64) Rainbow Reverse 1964 Kennedy (at a slight discount)?! image

peacockcoins

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunnywood, this same 1837 quarter was discussed earlier last year
    as coming from Norweb in March 1988 at $26,400 as a Proof 65. It has certainly bucked the type coin trend by appreciating multiples since then. It was more technicall graded years ago due to the light hairlines. Now that graders rarely use magnification any more it is far easier to get higher grades on eye appeal and color alone.

My condolences on that horrid picture B&M took of your wonderful
    1872 proof seated dollar going off in Baltimore. At least you can be assured it will sell on the floor.

I'd be happy to show some coins to Anaconda or other board members at larger shows. I had a number of nice seated halves at the FUN show that I did show to forum members who stopped by.
    But as far as having the time to become an expert photographer?
    Forget it. The forum and other coin sets take several hours a day out of our busy lives and the family suffers. Enough is enough.
    Photography classes will have to wait for better days. I'd be happy to bring them along to have experienced photographers take some
    shots in the future.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Adrian, thanks for aknowledging/admitting/allowing that.

Just for that I will admit that 99% of my posted photos have been cut & paste ... albeit of coins that I do in fact own (or have owned). For example, I own this coin, but did not take these photos myself (although I am very adept with Adobe Photoshop, and can often succeed in improving photos of others):

imageimage

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I use to show off my collection, but my video baster won't work with windows 2000 and my scanner sucks image
    this is the coin I bought last week.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    I paid $300 for it, I think. I'll sell it to you for $335.
  • Options
    Mac....no excuses.

No photos or creative write-ups...no whining.

• Options
    No coins worth showing... atleast not with all these monster around.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's an 1812 half dollar.
    the coin rests on an original letter, dated March 2d, 1813, from the Secretary of the Treasury to the Committee of Ways and Means, transmitting Sundry Statements prepared in obedience to "an Act establishing a Mint and regulating the Coins of the United States" which document reports the amounts of gold, silver, and copper at the beginning of 1812, the number of Cents, Half Dollars, and Half Eagles coined in 1812, and the amounts of each metal remaining in inventory at the end of 1812.
    the coin and document appear to have original surfaces, but I'm sure someone will come on and find fault with them anyway imageimage

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Road.....no photos? No creative writing?

You, an unproductive whiner? You're lettin' me down, dude. Isn't there just one of the rich whiners in here who knows how to write or shoot?

I never took a photography class. I have three kids, a wife, two businesses and a boa.
  • Options
    Way to go, Baley! Nice coin and nice layout.

No rich whining unproductive guy behind that monitor!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many rules for me. Have to have a creative write up. Take the photo yourself, us small time poor collectors aren't trying to sell you the coin give us a break.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Here's my monster.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    stman.....no rules....just more than whining....pictures would be cool, a creative write-up would suffice....a decent original joke....just something to go with the whining and complaining and criticism....

Hey....cool quarter.
  • Options
    Way to go, Cosmic! i'm startin' to get a hankerin for some foreign coinage. Tell you what....i'll go get one of my raw foreign coins and see if i can shoot a photo of it and join the productive non-whiners group.

Be back soon.
  • Options
    The Obverse is speckled with gold and black toning with a gold and black ring that is around the rim that is dominately gold . On the reverse it`s completely covered with dark toning with light hints of gold throughout. The luster comes out really well.

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I paid $300 for it, I think. I'll sell it to you for $335. >>

If that's for me, SOLD!

May I Paypal you out of bank funds (no CC)?

Say I make it for an even $350.00 to assist with postage.
    LMK

peacockcoins

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adrian: each trade dollar in my MS set has a picture that I took (scan actually) and an original descriptive write up. Here's a link:

Legend Collection of Mint State Trade Dollars

Here's one of my pictures and description

An amazing coin. The dies clashed and were repolished prior to striking this glittering gem. Fully cameod and possessing lovely periphrial toning

• Options

Well, ummmm, I don't sell much ya see... but I did buy this thing and it has a picture and a write up too. Not particularly impressive but I think I spelled most of the words right. I don't wanna feel left out and all so I thought I'd post it.
    Caution Radioactive
    Oh, and it's not for sale. Not even or a million dollars. Well, ok, maybe for a million but not for one cent less than a million and you'd have to pay postage with full insurance. Alright you got me there, I think I would take one cent less after all. But DEFINITELY NOT 99,999,400 cents less. I am sure of that.
    Can I whine and complain yet or do I still need to take a test or something?
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    maybe not everone here wishes to show off their items. some collections are put away in a bank vault, for safety reasons. some do not have the income that others have, and yet iam sure they enjoy thier collections. having wealth does not make one a real man. having beautiful coins does not make one a real man. it does take a real man to do something, like doing something good for someone that has less than you do. challengeing others to show off does not make one a real man it sounds more like one is saying....see mine is better than yours.... blowing off at the mouth, flashing expensive coins , does not make one a real man.......it only shows that someone with a lot of money to spend can buy whatever he wants, and then go around and show it off. in the past you have let us enjoy some of your very beautiful items. thank you for that, challenging others does not sound like you. remember we are not in the court room............we are suppose to be among friends that enjoy what we have. image
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    This is the first bust half that I have ever purchased. It jumped out of a local dealer's case and landed right into my wallet. It's raw, but you can read the edges, its been cleaned a long time ago, nicely retoned. You take it out of your pocket and non-collectors love to hold and twist it in their hands, collectors always ask is it for sale or how much. PCGS tells me its cleaned (DUH) and best of all I don't have to worry about it supporting my wife and children. Oh yeah the double profile is kinda neat and since it's not tombed in plastic I got to do the overton search myself. Bust
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    So I can whine some more, first Liberty nickel that I ever purchased.Libnik
  • Options
    Here is one of the most dramatically toned 1971-S Ikes I've seen:

The obverse is a mellow golden color and that wraps around all the way to the reverse, covering the raised rims there as well. The interior of the reverse is a metallic blue/purple, more vibrant than I was able to get it to show in the photo.

Despite the heavy toning, the luster on the coin is exceptional, and full cartwheel is readily apparent.

This coin was one of a small group that I snatched up from another dealer. The story behind them is that they were from an estate, and were discovered wrapped in toilet paper secured with rubber bands.

1971-S is usually a pretty nasty looking date (really the only silver Ike that's tough to find in superb condition), and this group of coins were all exceptionally nice. That leads me to believe the erstwhile collector specially selected them for quality before carefully wrapping them up for posterity. I doubt that he anticipated the toning that would follow, but it's a good legacy. image

Alas, I have been unable to determine the brand of toilet paper used.
  • Options
    I am not a whiner!!

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's every collectors dream to own the finest, whether it's art, sculpture, cars, stamps or coins. When those opportunities arise, are you ready to pounce? Here is one of those rare opportunities, a chance to own the finest Indian Cent in existence. The surfaces are flawless with every feature struck to perfection. The bright, shimmering, fulsome red surfaces are accented with rose toning which compliments the fields perfectly. The frost on the devices is "to die for". This coin is Pop. 1 for the entire Indian Cent series, the ONLY PCGS 68 Red Cameo in existence. Don't let this opportunity slip from your hands. Once this coin is purchased, it is likely to be squirreled away for generations. POR.

imageCouldn't resist the chance to join in the fun.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    NICE 1886 RR! WOW! imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>No coins worth showing... atleast not with all these monster around. >>

KK, Don't ever be ashamed of your coins if you like them.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collected and poked all these coins into the album all by my own self:

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll "ditto" what Stujoe says!!!!!!!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Hey Braddick, yes that was for you. $335 will be fine, i actually thought 10% would be fine and then added $5 for postage.

Check made payable to Adrian Crane and mailed to 8111 LBJ Freeway, Suite 1065, Dallas, Texas, 75251.

Here's the foreign coin i referenced:

It's a copy that cost me about $20, i believe.

Well, i gotta go and get the girls from chuckie cheese. Thanks guys who posted pics that you took. It's nice to know that not eveyone is just an unproductive rich whiner!

adrian
  • Options
    Alright Tradedollarnut! Yeah! Ya make me proud! Cool coin and pic....that you took! You are outta the rich unproductive whiners club!
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I hate to disappoint ANACONDA, but I'm not Jayne. I'm just a moderately ugly middle-aged guy born in 1954 who has Jayne in my sig because I wanted to quell a U.S./Canada border skirmish in the Open Forum. It's a You-woulda-had-to-have-been-there kinda thing.

Plus, I also think she is alluring.

(I'm pretty sure ANACONDA knows I'm not Jayne.)

Another coin
  • Options
    Alright CCR! Nice fully struck peace dollar!
  • Options
  • Options
    Bravo Classics! very well said.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    When I get another gold coin you guys wont have to see this one so often.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I'll post some more...

The 1862 dollar is a cameo MS specimen. Typical of the date, the fields have heavy die polish lines, while the devices are fully frosted. The coin is pretty much blast white, with faint golden toning at the periphery. This nearly completely white coin can jump!

The BB-65 is super lustrous with attractive iridescent toning; you can get a nice cartwheel pretty easily. I would love to compare this specimen to the Garrett coin in the upcoming B&M sale.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file