Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Challenge to the whiners and complainers...

Comments

• Options
    Here is a 1795 half dime PCGS au53. Bold blue color is accentuated against rich gray with 100% original surfaces. Well struck for the grade with conservative PCGS numbers on this example. The 1795 Half Dime is generally scarce with some of the known varieties being quite rare. With BANG eye appeal, this colorful and cheerful example is truly quite special for the date. Half Dime enthusiasts well know how difficult it is to find truly PQ examples of this date with ANY color; let alone 100% rich, vivid original color such as this coin boasts. Often, the 1795 half dime comes dull, washed out, or infected with unsightly adjustment marks. Fortunately, this present example has been spared such a fate. While generally not as rare as her 1794 brother, the 1795 half dime is a date that does boast some RARE varieties (including the magnificent "6 curls" variety). All of this makes the 1795 half dime a joy for both Half Dime Collectors and Variety minded numismatists. image

matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'll play a little but even if I didn't I might still whine and complain. I've showed this before but some of us don't have a ton of coins to show.

It's graded ms63 by PCGS and is one of my favorites, and no, it's not high grade or a monster. But it being a nice original pleasing coin with original skin being tough to find in this series. I hope people think coins like these are ugly so they will stay away from them and not try and get them "Fixed."

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    KK, you have GOLD and you were worried about posting. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    It's only AU-58.
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Hey Braddick, yes that was for you. $335 will be fine, i actually thought 10% would be fine and then added $5 for postage.

Hey, if you're in the mood for giving monster discounts, can I get the same monster discount on that 1921 Pilgrim that I've been pining for a long time? imageimageimage He'd look so good next to the red Pilgrim you sold me. image

Well, i gotta go and get the girls from chuckie cheese.

I'll take 2 slices of pepperoni pizza and a large Mountain Dew. Thanks.
  • Options
    Here's a beauty I just picked up, still working on the provenance but I'll keep you posted. I want to join the rich productive non-whiners club too!!
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'm going to whine and complain. I submitted this Washington Carver to PCGS expecting a real pop-top, and it didn't even come back mint state.

There must be a touch of rub on the high points, but I don't see it. Can someone enlighten me?
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Man those are some really really nice coins posted in this thread. I wish you guys wouldn't do that because it makes me want to go out and find a j-o-b so I'll have some coin money.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options

<< <i>It's only AU-58. >>

An AU58 is often a great 'bang for the buck' coin.

Mine is probably only AU50, has a few hairlines, and is only a $2.50. image

Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    Hey dog, try buying gold on a 10 dollar a week allowance = yard work $.
  • Options
    Ah, $2.5's I do love the indian design on those.
  • Options
    I'm just a newbie that likes ugly coins. sniff sniff image

Lori

BTW: I don't really think they are ugly. I like toned coins.
  • Options
    Wow! Thats cool, it looks like JFK has purple scales! image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey KK;

If you live near Seattle, I could use someone to do the yard work...interested??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Only if you pay for the plane ticket from WI. image
  • Options
    Adrian,
    It ain't much but it's all I got. My high priced babe!

-Dave
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adrian, just like in real life, lawyers are setting the rules on these boards. With all these forum members becoming productive non-whiners it will make the other club more exclusive. I guess I'll remain a "non-rich unproductive whiner." Even though I worked the last 12 days straight from 6:30 am to 7:30 pm (and an hour commute each way on top of this), I still "had time" to visit the forum each night as well as kitco, ebay, etc. But as far as photography, I'll find the time when I'm rich and HAVE to sell coins on the net. image

Got to go....show tomorrow I'm attending.

roadrunner

non-rich, unproductive whiner
    forever striving to become more productive
    and less of a whiner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

My Barber crossed over from NGC 62 to PCGS PR62. I did it so I could put it in my 20th Century Type Set, but I like it better in the PGS holder now anyway.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    "non-rich, unproductive whiner
    forever striving to become more productive
    and less of a whiner "

Cool. Me too.
  • Options
    Hey Adrian - since you snubbed me the first time around...

and the closed auction:
    When's the last time you saw one of these go for that much?
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I'm not one for long descriptions, but I do like to play with the camera and work on getting the colors right in these coins. (And also trying to avoid stray cat hair)

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    K6AZ, very nice 1888 $$. Looks like a 65. Your photography is darn good too.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Not going to whine - but I gotta post some Frankies on here! image

• Options
    Thanks RR.. though I am rarely satisfied with my photos since I see a lot that are better than mine. That is a nice 88, not as common with rainbows as some of the other dates. It will probably eventually be for sale as well since I just can't part with the 88 already in my collection.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Frank, Im sure your pictures will make lucilles day.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Actually... the pic I posted was of the one I turned away... but after getting my taxes done today, I don't have the heart to post the actual coin... image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS - My advertisement on page 2 of this thread was just to join in the fun and was in jest - it's not for sale. image Received a few PM's inquiring about the price. Does that mean I'm a non-productive whiner??image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adrian:
    Here is a coin I picked up from Silvano a few years ago for my US type set. It is prooflike.image Not terribly rare but nice.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Here's a coin I got from a really cool guy. He is easy to talk to and friendly. I won't mention any names as not too embarrass him. Note to that person: My birthday is on the Vernal Equinox and my wife has money.

Tom

Tom

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK. Here’s a REAL coin. It’s a 1792 half disme that is in an NGC VF-30 holder. The coin is nice classic gray with no major defects.

Legend has it that George Washington contributed is personal silverware for the production of these coins. This is supported by Breen’s comments that Washington’s personal inventory showed a silver service before these coins were made and only Sheffield silver plate after they were issued. There were also comments by Adam Eckfield that the silver story was true.

The estimated mintage on this coin is 1,500 pieces. Today I would say that about 300 still exist, but a lot of those coins are holed or have other major damage or are heavily worn. Thomas Jefferson, as secretary of state, was responsible for the first U.S. mint operation, and he is credited with supervising the production of these pieces, but these pieces were not produced at the first U.S. mint. They were produced in July 1792 which was a few of months before the first Mint began to produce its first pattern pieces.

Washington called these coins “a small beginning” for United States coinage. That supports the contention by some that this was the first United States coin. Others call it a pattern.

The coin that serves as my avator is real coin too. It's a Chain cent (S-4, Period variety) in NGC VF-30.

I've owned both of these coins for more than 10 years. I didn't steal either one when I bought them, but now they would seem like bargains given what I paid.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rays -- like wealth, I can see that "not terribly rare" is a very relative concept. I would not mind adding your not terribly rare half eagle to my type set. Great coin -- a nice "modern" addition to the two pieces BillJones highlighted.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    Man, a lot of great coins have been shown here tonight. Thanks!

Sharing takes time. And for those of you who feel like your coins aren't worthy, i can only speak for myself.

I personally love beautiful coins whether they are old and totally worn or new and perfect.

Whether they are valuable or whether they are inexpensive.

I first learned about coins when i picked through Rick's (Medina?) junk silver coins in San Antonio in 1983 looking for the better date and
    least worn ones. I felt like i had an insurmountable task ahead of me, learning all of the different types. Seated? Flowing? There seemed to be so many.

I still love to go to coin shows with my boy and see what he brings me. I like it when my wife and i scope out the same coin
    independantly at a show. I love to show coins to Stephanie and the other people in my office and talk about the designs
    and the people who made them and who are on them.

I also like to get out a bin of change and get down on the floor with my kids and look through it and talk about our great country and
    the important things on coins. A Lincoln cent is a great introduction into our nation's past with regard to human rights and the dignity that all men deserve.

What a coin is worth is only a tiny bit of what coins are really about. Coins are really about people and art and history. And some of the most common and inexpensive coins are that way because they commemorate the most important people and events.

There are many cool coins that i would enjoy seeing that are not expensive. I really enjoy seeing great photography and creative writing. The values of the coins are not important.

• Options
    I wanna be a whiner!

From my own collection. While 1885-o's are commonly found toned, reverse toned coins seem to be of the minority. I'd wager 30% or fewer are toned reverses. Anybody? Anybody? Photo is enlightened a bit to show off very vibrant colors. The cheek is clean, but suffers from a weak strike typical to the New Orleans lazy strikes. New Orleans, the poor red headed step child of Morgan mints. *sigh*
    Got Morgan?
  • Options
    OK, here is another one. Two thirds of the obverse is covered in violet and blue, mostly blue. This is a really cool coin, and not very expensive (well under $100 if anyone wants it)

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stander!

Vader: "...you don't know the POWER of the dark side of the force"

Trio of Injuns....

jom
  • Options
    Whats the grade of the second indian?
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean the $5? I think it's an MS63. I bought it because of the color. image

jom

PS: I think all three of the gold pieces are 63 if memory serves.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the only type of US silver coin dated 1799:

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I do not whine, nor complain. I just state my mind, and go about my business. OH, yes, and I show pictures of my coins!!!!!!!!imageimageimage
  • Options
    Here's a nice dime I have. It's actually more "rainbowed" than the pic suggests...

Andy image
    We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Roadrunner,

When you get a chance, post a pic of your gem Seated dollar!!!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    I don't think I have anything that would be particularly interesting. My wife has a nice set of the Isle of Man cat
    coins, but that is about all we have that isn't common. Lot of nice looking coins though, thanks for sharing.
    Scott M

Everything is linear if plotted log-log with a fat magic marker
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭
    Challenge to the whiners and complainers...

You called?image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Great coins. I especially like that 1891 Dime...good pics.
  • Options
    Here's a cool three center:

It's in the wrong holder, it's probably never been owned by anyone famous or important, it has a couple of discernable nicks on the
    reverse and it's also probably overpriced. But, the obverse of the coin looks pretty much like the image of the obverse. And it's being
    sold by a guy (me!) who doesn't claim to be an expert and who has no credentials other than a deep abiding love for what i believe
    are beautiful coins. And i have not been kicked out of the American Numismatic Association. Yet. And, i have less than 45 negatives.

Wait a minute....i found my credentials....here they are:

the snake's credentials

adrian
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    snake's last feedback:
    Praise : Your life is not complete until you buy a toned monster from this man A+A+A+
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options

Does PCGS designate PL for seated coins? Am I whinning?imageimage

The pics don't show it but the fields are full of scratches. They are nice and deep mirror like though.

Larry
  • Options
    Here's the reverse of the foreign coin i showed earlier.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭
    Here's a Bare Nekkid Lady!!

No slabs for me, please!!

Hey baby, I ain't complainin'!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ever notice the whiners and complainers rarely show images of their coins.....makes ya' wonder, doesn't it? ANYONE CAN BE A CRITIC. It takes a real man do actually DO SOMETHING. And i don't consider buying coins "doing something". Buying coins doesn't take anything more than cash, and all you have to do to get rich is have a dead rich parent...that did something. How about some REAL photos of some REAL coins? And how about a write up that isn't a snoozer??? >>

Does this qualify?
    <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3355&item=3008904366&rd=1">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3355&item=3008904366&rd=1</A&gt; image

Edited: The thread asks for a "coin". >>

In my opinion, this coin clearly qualifies for VF25 or 30. I would have to see it in person to verify.
    Vastly undergraded and a great buying oppurtunity for those who like to look for upgrades.
    I hope I haven't ruined a "downgrade" ambition on this one.
    John Butler
    Sahara Coins
    &
    Vintage Paper Memories

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file